HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:09 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
I don't think Block 185 is where Facebook is going. I posted on the Austin Proper thread that there is a very strong rumor that Cielo Property is redeveloping the Austin Music Hall site into a 250,000 square foot office building (see thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=215343&page=6 ). The massing for this rumored building even shows up in the Proper rendering that's posted on RECA's website, as mentioned and posted in the Proper thread. From the below site plan, Austin Music Hall is north of Proper, and Block 185 is south of Proper. I think the building that Syndic's friend was talking about is Cielo's redevelopment, not Block 185.
If thats the case then either Syndic's friend or the architect went way overboard when saying supertall. I would doubt it being more than 20 floors if that if it's only 250,000 sq feet.

But then again the way some people around here think anything over 10 floors is a super tall LMAO.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
If thats the case then either Syndic's friend or the architect went way overboard when saying supertall. I would doubt it being more than 20 floors if that if it's only 250,000 sq feet.

But then again the way some people around here think anything over 10 floors is a super tall LMAO.
The Austin Music Hall site has nothing to do with Block 185 (the rumored "Facebook" tower site).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
The Austin Music Hall site has nothing to do with Block 185 (the rumored "Facebook" tower site).
Syndic's friend never said Block 185 was the rumored Facebook site. We all just assumed it was because that was the only site we knew about "near the power plant", which is what she said. I am just speculating, but I think that the Austin Music Hall site, which is also near the power plant, it the site she was talking about. If they are redeveloping it, it's in the design stage now which lines up with her story. It would make more sense than trying to change the zoning on Block 185 from residential to office. Just speculation on my part. You can feel free to shoot holes in it.

Last edited by AusTxDevelopment; Apr 24, 2015 at 11:37 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post

I don't know how many floors it is. Hill Country was estimating. I heard that its 250,000 square feet but maybe it's bigger than that? Maybe that's what the FAR will allow and they are going to try to get a variance? Or if it's only 250K, maybe it's a skinny tower? It's all rumor at this point. So far all the rumors have been panning out though - Google at 500 West 2nd was true, Apple leasing all of Capital Ridge was true, and the same people are talking about the Austin Music Hall redevelopment so I'm inclined to believe its likely, at least. Call me crazy.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Syndic's friend never said Block 185 was the rumored Facebook site. We all just assumed it was because that was the only site we knew about "near the power plant", which is what she said. I am just speculating, but I think that the Austin Music Hall site, which is also near the power plant, it the site she was talking about. If they are redeveloping it, it's in the design stage now which lines up with her story. It would make more sense than trying to change the zoning on Block 185 from residential to office. Just speculation on my part. You can feel free to shoot holes in it.
Actually, the main reason I assumed it was Block 185 is because she said it was going to be "on Cesar Chavez". Pow pow.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Actually, the main reason I assumed it was Block 185 is because she said it was going to be "on Cesar Chavez". Pow pow.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 1:32 AM

Quote:

LOL

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 1:42 AM

That's three times now we have gotten off track with the Facebook tower location. On Cesar Chavez is a key element of the rumor. Now, we could start enhancing the rumor by adding/changing it. But the rumor is already quite fragile as it stands now. But I hope I am wrong, and as of today we have Apple to go along with Google as big players in the local office space market. Hopefully Facebook is next.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 4:09 AM
World Traveler

Let's put it in an uninteresting suburban office park off of 45 and Mopac, yeah? Anyone? Bueller?

Old Posted May 4, 2015, 6:54 PM
Member since 2001

Just a side fact...Facebook's HQ campus in Menlo Park was designed by Gensler. Also, Facebook's Tokyo office recently moved into a new high-rise tower. As has their office in Seattle.

I don't believe they (Facebook/Gensler) had anything to do with the design of said new high-rises, however.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; May 5, 2015 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Just a side fact...Facebook's HQ campus in Menlo Park was designed by Gensler. Also, Facebook's Tokyo office recently moved into a new high-rise tower. As has their office in Seattle.

I don't believe they (Facebook/Gensler) had anything to do with the design of said new high-rises, however.
Gensler is the architect for 500 West 2nd and the Austin Music Hall site. However they are not involved in The Austin Proper - that's KOR.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 4:59 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Gensler is the architect for 500 West 2nd and the Austin Music Hall site. However they are not involved in The Austin Proper - that's KOR.
I know that! Someone mentioned trying to figure out from which architecture firm the person who told Sydnic about Facebook's possible involvement in the development of a tower in downtown Austin. I was just passing along some information I found.

Also, The KOR Group is not an architecture firm. They are a commercial real estate investment, development and management firm out of California. And how did the Austin Proper tower become involved in this discussion?.

Last edited by GoldenBoot; May 6, 2015 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Gensler is the architect for 500 West 2nd and the Austin Music Hall site.
True, and then Handel Architects is the architect for Austin Proper, while Solomon Cordwell Buenz (SCB) Architecture is the architect for North Shore. So maybe (hopefully) Block 185 will have a 4th architecture firm that's not one of the other three. I'm kind of glad all four aren't being designed by the same architect.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 12:51 AM

Here is the first permit (a site plan determination/exemption) filing I've come across for Block 185. It was filed about two weeks ago. It has three attachments that unfortunately crap out (technical term) before they open.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11437433

Edit: The attachments finally opened for me, and the news is not too exciting. The Beck Group just wants to add another construction trailer to the site and connect it to utilities. This might be related to moving the trailers from the Independent site.

Last edited by The ATX; Nov 14, 2015 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 4:20 PM

Here's a BISNOW fluff piece about the Greenwater development. But there was a snippet about Block 185.

Quote:
The fourth project at Green Water will likely be another residential tower, but that won’t get started for another year or two, Adam tells us.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/austin-san-an...medium=Browser

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:11 AM

Wink

14 floors, 152' (6 residential levels built on top of an 8-level parking podium). Just kidding, how many people smashed their computers?

Joking aside, I'd be surprised if this one starts right after Proper is delivered. By then, 70 Rainey, the Independent, 5th and Brazos, and ZaZa's units will have been completed or be close to finishing up and when does everyone expect the next cycle to begin? It can't be perpetual.

I could see this building and 99 Trinity being more like 4 to 5 years out, especially if Waller Park Place happens.

Also the BISNOW article referencing it as residential would seem to send the Facebook tower rumor onto life support at best.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
14 floors, 152' (6 residential levels built on top of an 8-level parking podium). Just kidding, how many people smashed their computers?

Joking aside, I'd be surprised if this one starts right after Proper is delivered. By then, 70 Rainey, the Independent, 5th and Brazos, and ZaZa's units will have been completed or be close to finishing up and when does everyone expect the next cycle to begin? It can't be perpetual.

I could see this building and 99 Trinity being more like 4 to 5 years out, especially if Waller Park Place happens.

Also the BISNOW article referencing it as residential would seem to send the Facebook tower rumor onto life support at best.
The Facebook rumor was never a real thing. It was just online skyscraper nerd speculation.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 5:14 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
I actually said "What the FUCK!?!" out loud and I could feel my cortisol and adrenaline levels spiking. Glad you cleared it up quickly before I had a stroke.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2015, 10:09 AM
World Traveler

More importantly, Tech House, how's the computer? You didn't smash it, did you?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 9:56 PM

X-posting deerhoof's post in the update thread since we have a thread for Block 185.

I just re-read the posts in this thread and it was quite the mess. I guess that's what happens when we have no real news about a project to discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Rendering of block 185 in the Greenwater development can be seen in the marketing video of the 500 W. 2nd St. office building. Not sure if that is what is currently planned but I thought I'd bring it to everyone's attention. Video was posted over a year ago according to Vimeo https://vimeo.com/134238116

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin