HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Great to hear! Well I guess that makes it official for Tesla coming to Austin.
Well not official but unofficial from what I've heard.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 10:37 PM

Tesla incentives passes with four commissioners voting yes and commissioner Gomez, whose district includes Del Valle, abstained from the vote. Now I have a sense of why Del Valle lacks jobs and is a food desert for all these years while Austin prospers. It's lacking the proper representation and leadership with vision.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergroundman View Post
Tesla incentives passes with four commissioners voting yes and commissioner Gomez, whose district includes Del Valle, abstained from the vote. Now I have a sense of why Del Valle lacks jobs and is a food desert for all these years while Austin prospers. It's lacking the proper representation and leadership with vision.
I cannot believe how old all the commissioners are. I guess it's hard enough getting younger people involved at the city level.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I cannot believe how old all the commissioners are. I guess it's hard enough getting younger people involved at the city level.
Ha! Funny that you say that. I thought the same thing. Especially, when Gomez said she needs yet another week to read through the proposal. They do need young blood on the commission. I agree that it's hard to get young talent in government. If you're young and bright enough to qualify for a commissioner's seat, then you're most likely bright enough to make at least twice the money working in the private tech industry at the management level. It's a calling.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Ha! Funny that you say that. I thought the same thing. Especially, when Gomez said she needs yet another week to read through the proposal. They do need young blood on the commission. I agree that it's hard to get young talent in government. If you're young and bright enough to qualify for a commissioner's seat, then you're most likely bright enough to make at least twice the money working in the private tech industry at the management level. It's a calling.
The 150k salary the Travis County commissioners get (or will soon?) isn't eff you money, but it's not bad either. Certainly it's more than most advocacy-minded young people would find in working for a non-profit think tank outside of senior level positions.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Gomez said she needs yet another week to read through the proposal.
I read that as "pure politics". It was smart actually. Gomez can play both sides and the middle, by saying...."I'm not for or against it.....I just needed more time".

She knew it would pass regardless, so she bows out with a plausible excuse no one will question. It takes ammo out of her future opponents political gun, so to speak. Gomez playing long ball. Can't say I blame her.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
The 150k salary the Travis County commissioners get (or will soon?) isn't eff you money, but it's not bad either. Certainly it's more than most advocacy-minded young people would find in working for a non-profit think tank outside of senior level positions.
I totally agree. I didn't realize they made that much. I thought it was maybe more along the lines of 120k.

Yes, someone from a nonprofit think tank would be great. Or possibly young congressional staff who happen to live in Austin would be good candidates.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I read that as "pure politics". It was smart actually. Gomez can play both sides and the middle, by saying...."I'm not for or against it.....I just needed more time".

She knew it would pass regardless, so she bows out with a plausible excuse no one will question. It takes ammo out of her future opponents political gun, so to speak. Gomez playing long ball. Can't say I blame her.
Yea, I considered that also, but that would make her a spineless politician. I decided instead to give her the benefit of the doubt and take her comments at face value, that given all this time, she was unable to process the proposal while everyone on the commission was able to. Perhaps maybe because of she is getting to the age of retirement?

If she was in full command of her mental faculties, she would have known that we didn't have leverage to negotiate any further. And any further delay was pointless and risked Tesla leaving the table. Assuming that she understood that, she should have stood up for what she believed to be right for the future of Austin and what's best for her constituents. And explain her reasoning in simple terms so that her constituents can understand why she made that decision and why it makes sense. Be a leader for god's sake. Don't hide behind someone else's vote.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:02 AM

This is sort of puzzling. Amazon just formally announced a fulfillment center for Pflugerville -- 1000 new jobs, seemingly run of the mill stuff in a 800k sq ft warehouse.

But it doesn't sound like this is the Project Charm facility, which is supposed to be 3.8M sq ft . . . though this article seems to think it's the same thing. That's a big change if true, negative 3M sq ft of space.

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/c...-pflugerville/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:16 AM
クラブトクヨ

Yeah I’m also confused about the amazon stuff.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:56 AM

“Austin Was Destined to Replace Silicon Valley. Then the Pandemic Hit“
https://marker.medium.com/amp/p/6d5f...mpression=true

During the last recession, “Austin was first out of it, and we’re hoping to do that again,” says Leigh Christie, senior vice president of Global Technology and Innovation at the Austin Chamber. Covid hasn’t stopped the incoming calls from big companies (whose names she can’t disclose) about moving here — “they have no hesitation that Austin is the right place.”

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
This is sort of puzzling. Amazon just formally announced a fulfillment center for Pflugerville -- 1000 new jobs, seemingly run of the mill stuff in a 800k sq ft warehouse.

But it doesn't sound like this is the Project Charm facility, which is supposed to be 3.8M sq ft . . . though this article seems to think it's the same thing. That's a big change if true, negative 3M sq ft of space.

The link in the article goes to a KVUE reporting. I don't know, their reporting is sometimes sloppy. I'm guessing that they confused the incentive package of $3.8M for the square footage.

Quote:
The incentive package, as detailed in council's agenda, is not to exceed $3.8 million and accounts for “off-site road infrastructure improvements, and for the purpose of creating capital investment and primary jobs,” per city documents.
https://communityimpact.com/austin/r...ement-july-14/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:10 PM

Tesla presentation is happening now.
https://www.austintexas.gov/page/watch-atxn-live

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 3:51 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

It's a 820,000 SF footprint. The building is "4.5 stories" tall (I think that was a mis-interpretation of height. It's probably 4-5 stories tall). So, the entire structure will be 3.3-3.7 million SF total (with a max of 3.8 million SF).

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Tesla presentation is happening now.
https://www.austintexas.gov/page/watch-atxn-live
Not a very informative presentation.

The one from Tesla was pretty much puff. I'm assuming identical/similar to what they gave to TC/DVISD who had actual decision making power.

On the city side, they haven't heard anything from Tesla on the actual zoning/permitting side (yes, even with the Tesla people actually there in the metaphorical room).

They don't know if the existing Green PUD is going to be amended, and if so in what way.

They don't know if the PUD is going to be abandoned, and the project developed under existing zoning. Which _may_ require some environmental variances, they don't really know and couldn't give good examples of.

Pool brought up the idea of annexation. I'm not sure she's been following the rule changes, but it is at least a question to be asked if Tesla goes the PUD route.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 4:55 PM
Resident Moron

Tesla is doing a hell of a job protecting is Cali employees.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...data-leak.html

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
It's a 820,000 SF footprint. The building is "4.5 stories" tall (I think that was a mis-interpretation of height. It's probably 4-5 stories tall). So, the entire structure will be 3.3-3.7 million SF total (with a max of 3.8 million SF).

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline
That's interesting that they'd build a distribution center vertically. I don't know what the yearly cost is to maintain a freight elevator, but seems like an unnecessary expense if you have 92 acres to build on. Granted they'd have to get a variance for impervious cover to get all 3.8M sqft on one level. Like 100% impervious cover. lol

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 8:49 PM

Does anyone know the status of the broad rezoning of the city? It seemed it was on track for passing in some form or another before the virus dominated events; the whole subject seems to have disappeared as best I can tell.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
Does anyone know the status of the broad rezoning of the city? It seemed it was on track for passing in some form or another before the virus dominated events; the whole subject seems to have disappeared as best I can tell.
asshole white homeowners sued and it's stuck in the court system.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 2:10 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
asshole white homeowners sued and it's stuck in the court system.
The most damning thing is our land use code is responsible for the current mess, my neighborhood has become. At least with the revamp, there would be more of a cohesive plan in place for redevelopment. As it is now, every house that goes up for sale is demoed with multiple condo houses filling up the lots and encroaching on neighbors. Before I go any further, because I can hear the tap tap tapping of responses. I don't have a problem with the neighborhood becoming denser. What I'm upset about is the lack of affordable housing options and the way they are currently allowed to build where they don't have setbacks when they are built just feet from existing homes. While I like variety and a unique mixture of housing designs, There are some that have been built or currently being built that not only don't fit in at all with the surrounding neighborhood, they look gaudy at best and downright offensive at worst. I just think these NAs that are fighting hard against the city are actually the ones who in the end are responsible for ruining the very neighorhoods they are supposedly trying to "preserve". The redevelopment occurring now is pricing out the existing and long time residents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin