HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 2:21 PM
Love Austin

I'd be offended if we got a couple more of the same spires but I seriously do love the originality of it. It's different and so many people have wildly different ideas and thoughts about it. I see it costing $3-5M to do anything radically different and love it as is so I say don't bother. I am excited to see the lighting element though and really would be happy to work with anyone looking to donate lots of $$.

It's amazing living here. Lived in 360 and the Shore, also both fun in their own right, but with the energy downtown now holds it's fantastic to live here. Hope we allow for another 10,000+ homes within a 1/2 mile of here through a new land development code...we'll see. The entitlements west and just north of here are so exclusionary in nature--perhaps the revenue caps put on the City of Austin and Travis County will encourage better zoning decisions even above the cries of the NIMBYs?

The building is still fairly empty but move-ins are occurring often. My biggest advice to anyone moving in is get the punch list items in writing. I had a list of items that I was told was approved and I was told per the contract I must close and that the punch items survived the close and would be wrapped up in 60 days. To date, most of the items have not been touched and many that were originally approved were then later denied. The leverage of closing/not closing was really all I had to work with so to do it over again I'd like the approved items in writing with an understanding of when they'd be dealt with. We're not talking anything major, just things that really need to be done eventually by someone. All this said, I'm still within the 60 days so I may be pleasantly surprised and everything may get handled at the end--I'll let you know

It feels like the sturdiest building I've ever lived in. Love that all the elevators and services are wrapped within the core of the building. The two decks of amenities (still not all quite open) are epic! My hope is that the garage was built to hold a cap because to cap it similarly to 360s, while expensive, would be epic for the building! And the people and management team seem to all be high on life which is ok by me!

Hopefully the railroad bridge over Shoal Creek is salvaged. It's interesting to me that we have so many buildings where people fight for historic designation, over owners objects, yet this amazing piece of history is left to rot . Perhaps once the threat of redevelopment is removed the interest of preservation is lost for some?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:25 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3AEB6RlsH8/

Lighting installation happening according to this recent instagram post.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 4:42 PM

It appears to be flood lights facing inward. Which means it will just be an illuminated cage around a concrete box?

I was hoping for LEDs on the actual crown structure facing outward so that the internal junk isn't highlighted.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3AEB6RlsH8/

Lighting installation happening according to this recent instagram post.
If so then I don't understand why they didn't announce or install it a long time ago

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 7:34 PM
Meh

Actually, since those lights are on the outside of the crown, they likely won't be highlighting the concrete slosh tank. And those do appear to be LEDs. Whether they can change color or not is another matter.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually, since those lights are on the outside of the crown, they likely won't be highlighting the concrete slosh tank. And those do appear to be LEDs. Whether they can change color or not is another matter.
But since the crown is essentially a chain link fence, won't the light just pass through and illuminate the metal supports and slosh tank?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:25 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I left a comment on that Instagram just now asking if it will change color or not. Whether I get an answer direct or otherwise is another question.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 2:46 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by futures View Post
But since the crown is essentially a chain link fence, won't the light just pass through and illuminate the metal supports and slosh tank?
I don't think the lights will because their angle is going to make the light more or less just bounce off the metal of the mechanical screen. I think the light will prevent the possibility that the concrete tank would be visible back there.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:05 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't think the lights will because their angle is going to make the light more or less just bounce off the metal of the mechanical screen. I think the light will prevent the possibility that the concrete tank would be visible back there.
Very true. There is a lot that can be done with lighting and lighting effects. Something that I have dabbled in. You are correct in how the lighting will work from the look of how they were being placed in that picture.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:48 AM

To me it looks like they are alternating a whitish rose color with a white bluish color after I zoomed in.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 12:59 PM

Hmmm, the crown will either be highly improved by this lighting or be meh forever. I think this could be Indys way of having a comeback if done properly.

It needs a STRONG glow with ZERO possibility for those little stainless steel screens to cast mini shadows highlighting any placement errors. That ALWAYS drives me nuts. I'm guessing they aren't doing the interior because that seems to be open to residents from what I've seen.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:55 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Rhody?

Lol whoops.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:20 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I've given up on the lighting. If they haven't lit it by now, their probably not going to light it even if they have the light fixtures set up. Just look at the Austonian which no longer lights it's crown whatsoever regardless of whatever changes they made.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I've given up on the lighting. If they haven't lit it by now, their probably not going to light it even if they have the light fixtures set up. Just look at the Austonian which no longer lights it's crown whatsoever regardless of whatever changes they made.
A real shame and a giant missed opportunity all around.

Friends visiting from out of town still look up and continue to ask me "Are they ever going to finish the top part?"

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:36 PM

Highest chicken coop west of the Mississippi.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 9:26 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Well...I know who never to hire as an architect.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 12:34 AM
Love Austin

Folks on the development team share that they will light it. Lights are already installed. They simply don't seem to be in a hurry to do so. I can't wait to see it lit!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 1:19 AM
Meh

I need to post them, but I have some photos where you could see the lights sticking up over the edge of the main roof. They're definitely up there.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 1:33 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427MM View Post
Folks on the development team share that they will light it. Lights are already installed. They simply don't seem to be in a hurry to do so. I can't wait to see it lit!
If their not in a hurry to light the building then I wouldn't hold my breath. I think it's odd to install lighting only to sit on it with no tentative timeline for turning the lights on. We will see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin