HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 3:08 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=Dac150;4615422]There are a couple bright sides to that though; []one being that the retaining work for this parcel of land has already been done. That’s one less thing a developer of a future project has to worry about, and consequently makes the piece of land itself that much more attractive down the line. A prime piece of real estate off the water with slurry walls sounds pretty good to me [/B\]if I’m a developer.

QUOTE]

Well this foundation was built for a 2000 footer so any worry about load [it has massive caissons]

edit but waterview also has massive caissons that could go up to around 1500 ft but that is another thread....

should not be a worry in the least.

To me that is the one and only bright side.

But from your view as an outsider I consider it more worthwhile than any inside incite we have added to this thread in the last month or so.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
There are a couple bright sides to that though; one being that the retaining work for this parcel of land has already been done. That’s one less thing a developer of a future project has to worry about, and consequently makes the piece of land itself that much more attractive down the line. A prime piece of real estate off the water with slurry walls sounds pretty good to me if I’m a developer.

Another is that there is nothing there. Unlike Waterview where you have to deal with the inconvenience of incorporating an aging structure into a new design or removing it all together, this is an empty piece of land. Now granted you have a hole, that can still be viewed as a pro; it’s a foundation which an architect can incorporate into a new design.

The piece of land today is in a better situation now then it was five years ago. Work has been done to support something, whether that something is the Spire or not remains to be seen. However, in the event that it isn’t the opportunity will still be present down the line to create something new.
That's true! And let's all wait for the money to start rolling through. I mean, why can't we wait for the financial markets and the economy to turn around and give this project the fairest of consideration it deserves? We know what the economic and lending climate is here and there is our answer to the riddle. Now, if you're at the top of JP Morgan Chase or Bank of America and you're reading this, please consider that this is a serious investment that deserves serious consideration. No lender or financial institution is rejecting this project for life. There will be loans dealt out and funds available to resume construction at some point in the future provided the developers and investors are patient enough. Merry Christmas to Chicago and to you all!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 2:23 PM

not sure if this passage is fair to kelleher, but.... hehe

Luke 14:28-30

"For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’"

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 3:12 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
There are a couple bright sides to that though; one being that the retaining work for this parcel of land has already been done. That’s one less thing a developer of a future project has to worry about, and consequently makes the piece of land itself that much more attractive down the line. A prime piece of real estate off the water with slurry walls sounds pretty good to me if I’m a developer.

Another is that there is nothing there. Unlike Waterview where you have to deal with the inconvenience of incorporating an aging structure into a new design or removing it all together, this is an empty piece of land. Now granted you have a hole, that can still be viewed as a pro; it’s a foundation which an architect can incorporate into a new design.

The piece of land today is in a better situation now then it was five years ago. Work has been done to support something, whether that something is the Spire or not remains to be seen. However, in the event that it isn’t the opportunity will still be present down the line to create something new.
Too bad we can't get the Miglin-Beitler Skyneedle on that spot. I like the Spire and all, but the Miglin-Beitler Skyneedle was one of my favorite proposals. It was a monster and super classy. It would have been great at the helm of the city.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 4:15 PM

I held hope for a long time but I think it is time to move into never completed.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 7:32 PM

If it wasn't dead before...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 10:33 PM

^^ Move to "never built" thread....???? I don't think I'd agree with that just yet.

I like you, was the eternal optimist with this project. This weekend when I saw that no deal would be made, I have finally (for the first time) started to actually doubt this project will go any further.

It made me feel almost sick.

I would love to be wrong of course.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 11:05 PM

All of the articles say that Shelbourne is still actively seeking a loan and are still taking reservations for units. I don't think it would be right to move this to never built until that stops.

I am still holding out hope that one day it will get built. If Kelleher waits long enough for the market to rebound I think there is a chance. But how long can he wait with all these liens and lawsuits? We'll see.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 5:09 AM
Chicago Kid

Thread was painful to read over the last 4 pages. It went from saying that there would be financing via that poorly written article, to maybe financing, to no financing, all within those few pages. Talk about a sad rollercoaster ride.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
not sure if this passage is fair to kelleher, but.... hehe

Luke 14:28-30

"For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’"
I'm currious. What kind of towers were they building in Luke's time?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootstrap Bill View Post
I'm currious. What kind of towers were they building in Luke's time?
I'm assuming they're not talking about anything 2000 feet tall. maybe 100 cubits

but if you're being serious, they had fortified cities back then. "towers" were probably constructed for defense. i don't know, though. that's not really the point of the passage, haha

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:12 PM
Editor

Never built? I think construction has begun and so we have to leave it at on-hold. Waterview has also moved back in my opinion...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 8:10 PM
All-American City Boy

I guess we're waiting on an official "I give up" by Kelleher? I don't see that happening, he has too much put into this project. We'll have to move this project to the never built when we find out he's in jail one day or something. =p
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 9:13 PM

This thread will remain here until it's officially dead. . . so if you all stop talking about it then the /thread/ can die in peace. . .

. . .

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 5:53 PM

If any forumers are in Chicago (and I know there are at least a few of you), the Chicago Architecture Foundation has kindly offered to put their model of the Chicago Spire on display in their model city tomorrow (December 30, 2009) around 12:15 p.m. If you want to see what the Spire looks like in its proper urban context, come check it out.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 6:57 PM

Oo hopefully i can check it out

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 7:54 PM

wow!! that is one big nail!!
too bad about not having an OBS deck though.
very interesting architecture.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 6:51 PM

Dec 31

From above

higer res 2007 series - 2008 Q1 series - 2008 Q2 series - 2008 Q3 & 4 series - 2009 series

Rabbit tracks

top of a secant beam pokes through the snow.

Panasonic DMZ TZ4 - Picasa - Autostitch - Photomatix HDR

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
This thread will remain here until it's officially dead. . . so if you all stop talking about it then the /thread/ can die in peace. . .

. . .
Can't people take a hint?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 9:49 PM
The way to really fly

At least nothing was destroyed to build that hole. Chicago lost nothing but a weedy lot.

~Nowhereman1280

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects