HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:39 AM

Austin FC has started their own PAC to oppose Epstein-funded "Fair Play Austin" & Prop A

https://twitter.com/PhilJankowski/st...27437404872705

ETA: And, as if on cue, a few days later Epstein pulls his funding from his PAC. Interesting.

Last edited by turn1; Aug 23, 2019 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:14 PM

LMAO. Every time this f***** opens his wordhole, the bullshit just flows out like water ...

COTA's Epstein: "We'll host the U.S. Grand Prix for as long as our circuit exists ... We are on track to have the biggest attendance of any race so far -- the reserved seats already sold out in July. We are thinking of where we can build new grandstands to accommodate more fans." 

https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/27445124

Epstein says reserved seats are sold out, which is weird, because there are seats available at every pricing level right now. He's said that before, too, even though the grandstands have never sold out at COTA.

He's right about one thing, though. They'll host the race as long as the track is open, because once they lose F1, they lose the annual State subsidy, and the doors will close.

This article reads more like an appeal from Epstein to Liberty to stop trying to secure another U.S. race.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:57 PM

COTA did file a building permit today for a new temporary grandstand.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3505796

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
COTA did file a building permit today for a new temporary grandstand.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3505796
^For the Super Stage concerts. They do that every year...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 5:29 AM

... and now it looks like there are even more 3-day reserved seats available. When I checked the other day after seeing the article, T1 wasn't available & T15 was very limited. T12 was also unavailable iirc. Just checked a few minutes ago and somehow inventory seems to have increased significantly, with lots of 3-day tickets suddenly available on upper, middle, & lower rows of T15 & T1.

Strange ...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 2:47 AM

Some of you may recall that I was skeptical when I heard COTA's Bobby Epstein was pulling funding from his Fair Play Austin PAC. Now the other shoe has dropped...

City of Austin hit with second lawsuit over ballot language

https://t.co/UW8h6fOLen

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 3:22 PM

Welp. That didn't take long...

Court rules against challenge to MLS stadium ballot language
https://www.statesman.com/news/20190...allot-language

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 11:38 PM

Watching the Austin Bold playing Las Vegas at COTA on TV right now. WOW! there must be hundreds of fans in the stands.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 1:56 AM
Resident Moron

It's a shame Epstein pulled all this crap.

I would gladly go watch some games this season if he wasn't trying to block Austin fc

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
It's a shame Epstein pulled all this crap.

I would gladly go watch some games this season if he wasn't trying to block Austin fc
Same here.

Meanwhile ...

Local leaders, SXSW, ACL Fest join in opposition to Proposition A - https://goo.gl/alerts/me14z

Long Center joins campaign against proposition meant to undo soccer stadium deal - https://goo.gl/alerts/o8MLW

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:20 PM

M

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:06 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Miami to get F1 race, racing league's only US stop other than Austin

Austin contract expires in 2021 but negotiations continue, reports say

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline
Doesn't look good. Timing is too eerily convenient for a move to Miami from Austin.

Maybe F1 is as sick of Epstein as are the fans of Austin FC!?!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:12 PM
Meh

This is why I'm not exactly enthusiastic about sports in Austin...or anywhere. They're too concerned with more kickbacks, and if they don't get their way, they threaten to leave, even after having gotten a nice venue. I think a better strategy is to just not invite them in the first place. COTA without a F1 is a pretty craptastic use of the land. But it's there, and now we have to deal with it. It's not even a good music venue being too far out int he boonies.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:23 PM

F1 doesn't want to leave COTA, it wants to expand its presence in the U.S. as the commercial rights holder is an American company.

Also, the race is definitely not a sure thing in Miami, there's been a lot of push back from the area. They (F1) tried to get a race there this year and it didn't work.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:42 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This is why I'm not exactly enthusiastic about sports in Austin...or anywhere. They're too concerned with more kickbacks, and if they don't get their way, they threaten to leave, even after having gotten a nice venue. I think a better strategy is to just not invite them in the first place. COTA without a F1 is a pretty craptastic use of the land. But it's there, and now we have to deal with it. It's not even a good music venue being too far out int he boonies.
Kev, that's how professional sports are run. It's been that way and it will never change. And, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Think of it this way...why would you pay full-price for a product if you can get it on sale?!?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 9:55 PM
Meh

That's why I don't like them. I'm not in the habit of cutting them slack because "that's the way they do business." If it's all about money to them then I'd rather they not come in the first place. What do you suppose COTA could be used for in the future? Not a lot. Stadiums and arenas are much the same. They're really only good for one thing, and when that use plays out (no pun intended) they become eyesores.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 10:24 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
That's why I don't like them. I'm not in the habit of cutting them slack because "that's the way they do business." If it's all about money to them then I'd rather they not come in the first place. What do you suppose COTA could be used for in the future? Not a lot. Stadiums and arenas are much the same. They're really only good for one thing, and when that use plays out (no pun intended) they become eyesores.
It is all about money. Why do you work? Money, right?

Who wouldn't want to look for the best deal possible - in any way, shape, or form. Heck, that's how Amazon became a monster.

And, I respect the fact that you don't like it. But, I'd rather have a team (or event) here - at least for a while - than to not have the opportunity to enjoy it (them) in my own back yard.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 11:25 PM

I don't think Austin is in any danger of losing F1, at least not in the near future. F1 wants 2 races in the US. That being said, I would feel better if they chose Watskins Glen or somewhere in the Northeast, or maybe Senoma or northwest. Florida and Mexico together would impact Texas more than the other locales I mentioned, in terms of attendance.
The racers and teams like Austin for its uniqueness compared to the other cities they race at, they like the facilities, and F1 likes getting paid from Epstein, so I don't imagine Epstein would be a catalyst for F1 to bail on COTA. I also don't think setting up a circuit on downtown city streets like Miami would guarantee a successful longterm venue, so Austin would most likely keep its race, at least until the results are in regarding Miami, if that even happens.
As far as sports in Austin, I really got into the Icebats, and the Wranglers. They failed for the same reason the Austin Bold will fold...I meant to say that...Icebats had an awful venue, too bad the HEB Cedar Park Event Center wasn't built back then. Minor league clubs don't generate nearly as much revenue than major leagues. Players make squat, and the best of them get promoted to the big leagues by design as minor league teams serve, for the most part, as developement teams. When you lose your best players, your record starts to suck and attendance drops and there is an inevitable loss of precious revenue. F1 is doing ok here, AustinFC will be a success and be around for many years. I'm hoping they keep the Players Championship at the Austin Country Club for a while. We're not getting any more major sports venues here so we might as well root for the ones we have as long as we have them. And then of course....there's UT.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Remember, it's State of Texas MERP subsidy money that keeps the USGP (and thus COTA) alive in Austin. About $200 million so far. Without F1 and all that subsidy money, COTA would be toast. But as long as that money continues flowing from the state, F1 is going nowhere (assuming Bobby doesn't let the track fall into an unraceable state of disrepair, which is not at all a given from what I've seen).

The other day Bobby actually had the nerve to question the 'staying power' of the Miami GP. LMAO. How much 'staying power' would Austin's USGP have without roughly $200M so far from the State of Texas? The answer is ZERO. NADA. COTA never would have even been built without the MERP in place. The State of Florida isn't paying for their GP. It's a profitsharing deal between Steven Ross and F1. Kinda makes the State of Texas look stupid.

Re: the music venues, don't worry. You'll have two awesome new ones soon. One at UT and the other at the new MLS stadium.

Last edited by turn1; Oct 22, 2019 at 6:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
... F1 likes getting paid from Epstein the State of Texas
Fixed.

Quote:
We're not getting any more major sports venues here so we might as well root for the ones we have as long as we have them.
Yep, at least in part because of Epstein and the shitshow he and his minions made of the MLS Stadium site selection process.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin