HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
When I'm talking "corner store" used in Pittsburgh, I guess I'm thinking of hearing it mainly when I was young from relatives in the south hills. But yeah, it's not something one hears in Pittsburgh often at all. Because like you said, they're just not all that common here.

"Corner store" might be Great Lakes region-derived terminology, I have no idea. But I've definitely heard friends and family from Queens use corner store and deli and market, rather than bodega.

And "bodega" is a relatively recent term in widespread use for any "convenience store" in New York. You had Puerto Rican bodegas since the 1950s probably, but NO ONE was calling Italian or Jewish delis and newsstands bodegas until probably the early 2000s. Having lived in NYC and having family there, and in the surroundings, bodega seemed to be reserved solely for Hispanic-owned markets. You'd certainly hear it used for places in upper Manhattan and the Bronx and some on the LES, but it was not the blanket term that is popular now.

A lot of it seems to do with non-NYC natives thinking it's some exotic term to use once they move there and patronize their neighborhood market, and act all "I just love my bodega, I can get anything there whenever I want" (spoken in a very affected tone)... like it's something that only exists in Manahttan and they're more worldy for having such novel luxuries.
This is false. Its been bodega for many years. Since the early 80s at least. Also, bodegas in nyc nowadays (and for many years now) associated with Arab Yemini and not Hispanics.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 5:01 AM

^ bullshit

It was bodega in referring to actual Hispanic bodegas, not every single market in the city. It became the go-to descriptor for pretty much any deli, market, grocer, etc in the city much more recently. Very much a hipster-influenced early-mid 2000s thing. White 20-something transplants on the lower east side and parts of Brooklyn started throwing around bodega bodega bodega all the time because they thought it sounded cool and thought it made them more native somehow. It was fucking annoying then and it still is now.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
^ bullshit

It was bodega in referring to actual Hispanic bodegas, not every single market in the city. It became the go-to descriptor for pretty much any deli, market, grocer, etc in the city much more recently. Very much a hipster-influenced early-mid 2000s thing. White 20-something transplants on the lower east side and parts of Brooklyn started throwing around bodega bodega bodega all the time because they thought it sounded cool and thought it made them more native somehow. It was fucking annoying then and it still is now.
I'm sure part of it has to do with non-Hispanics acquiring bodegas from Hispanics. A couple of the bodegas near me are Hispanic owned, but most are owned by Middle Easterners. You literally can't tell them apart other than realizing that the owners have different ethnicities, so there would be no need for distinguishing terminology* (and you would kinda sound like a dick if you split hairs about it). I'm pretty sure that at one point not too long ago just about all of the "corner stores" in this part of Brooklyn were Puerto Rican owned.

*Someone mentioned Korean Markets earlier in this thread and these are functionally different from bodegas, since they tend to sell harder to find products for Asian cuisines.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I'm sure part of it has to do with non-Hispanics acquiring bodegas from Hispanics. A couple of the bodegas near me are Hispanic owned, but most are owned by Middle Easterners. You literally can't tell them apart other than realizing that the owners have different ethnicities, so there would be no need for distinguishing terminology* (and you would kinda sound like a dick if you split hairs about it). I'm pretty sure that at one point not too long ago just about all of the "corner stores" in this part of Brooklyn were Puerto Rican owned.

*Someone mentioned Korean Markets earlier in this thread and these are functionally different from bodegas, since they tend to sell harder to find products for Asian cuisines.
Absolutely. Completely agree. I was only saying that bodega is not a word that was universally used for all types of markets in the city, until rather recently.

I don't care one bit if that's what people want to refer to all of them as now. But... for the white suburban hipster kids who now live in the city (whether it's NYC or elsewhere): just don't act like that's what you've always called them. And when you have 25 year olds from Fort Wayne or somewhere referring to the duane reade as a "bodega", it's gone too far in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 1:09 PM
video et taceo

"Kiosk" in Stockholm and Copenhagen. In Copenhagen, "bodega" refers to a small, 24-hour bar you can smoke in.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 1:11 PM
video et taceo

I remember hearing "deli" much more in 1990s NYC.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I remember hearing "deli" much more in 1990s NYC.
Probably because a lot of the corner stores were Korean-owned in the 1980's and 1990's and were called Korean delis.

Ethnic transition and upward mobility means they're more likely to be owned by Middle Easterners (or in gentrified neighborhoods, they've mostly disappeared).

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 2:30 PM

Is there a local chain "bodega" in NYC now?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:36 PM

I had a lot of friends who moved to Williamsburg/Park Slope around 2000 or so, and hence I used the term "bodega" non-ironically.

The thing is, a bodega is different from the typical gas station store/convenience store. It's essentially a tiny supermarket in a traditional urban storefront where you can engage in all of your shopping needs. And it's different from a CVS/Rite-Aid/Wallgreens in that there's no pharmacy.

In my experience in Pittsburgh, there's basically two kinds of these stores. One basically survives off of lottery tickets and cigarette sales, and serves a bit of junk food as well. The other are more full-on mini-groceries - sometimes with some sort of built-in deli counter or sandwich shop.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 6:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I also remember NYC corner stores as "delis" in the eighties.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 8:01 PM
BANNED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nbZaaFmLNQ

Corner Bodega by 50 Cent, born and raised NYer. Recorded in 1999.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 8:33 PM

^ And, your point being?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
I'm still not sure if "pony keg" is strictly a liquor store or a mini mart in Cincinnati?
Pony Kegs are drive thru convenience stores! I haven't seen those much outside of Ohio.

I think most people call walk up beer/lotto/snacks places "corner stores". Cincinnati also never had 7/11, but rather a local convenience store chain (sometimes with gas station) called UDF. It stands for United Dairy Farmers, and they make their own ice cream and each of their stores sell ice cream and shakes and what not. It's the most prolific convenience store in the region, by far.

Last edited by edale; Jan 21, 2021 at 12:12 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 9:49 PM
E pluribus unum

I forgot to mention UDF. It's such a weird sounding name for a convenience store. Then again, there's Circle K (which are everywhere in Phoenix), Wawa in Pennsylvania and whatnot.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention UDF. It's such a weird sounding name for a convenience store. Then again, there's Circle K (which are everywhere in Phoenix), Wawa in Pennsylvania and whatnot.
It's like they have to have a weird name or something... UDF, Wawa, Sheetz, Couche-Tard (weird sounding in English), Toot'n Totum, Stinker, Kum & Go...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:37 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
It's like they have to have a weird name or something... UDF, Wawa, Sheetz, Couche-Tard (weird sounding in English), Toot'n Totum, Stinker, Kum & Go...
kum & go is a good one. people don’t believe it.

CASEYS GENERAL STORE is my BODEGA tho when on the road in the midwest. QT only wishes it were caseys.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I remember seeing Wawa in New Jersey.

In Hawaii, they have ABC.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:40 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
UDF is like the UHF version of the IDF. lots of static and televangelists forced into mandatory service.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:45 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
UDF is like the UHF version of the IDF. lots of static and televangelists forced into mandatory service.
do they sell DVDs? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I remember seeing Wawa in New Jersey.
Yeah, Wawa is a southeastern PA thing, and now mid-Atlantic thing. All over eastern PA, NJ, some around DC area. I've seen one in Miami too. Philly-area people go all crazy about Wawa like it's the second coming of Jesus H. Christ or something. It's a fucking gas station and they'll make you a hoagie that won't make you vomit... that's about as far as I'll go. Sheetz is the other big one in PA... I feel the same about them. I guess there's some sort of stupid convenience store rivalry.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions