HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:15 PM

HDRC staff recommends approval.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:23 PM

If you don't like what's going on in San Antonio then by all means please move to Dallas or Houston!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 3:02 PM

Maybe I’m misunderstanding the relationships here, but Zachry is simply the operator/contractor for the development, right?

Those renderings had Overland on them, so it would appear Zachry hired Overland for the design phase. So surely if there’s enough displeasure voiced, Zachry could choose a different firm to do the designs.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
HDRC staff recommends approval.
That statement seems off to me. Who said this?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
If you don't like what's going on in San Antonio then by all means please move to Dallas or Houston!
Oh, yeah, that's the spirit. If you don't like something, get out! LOL

I don't know how to express myself as a normal person and I like anything that gets developed, so get out! LOL

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
https://tce-live2.s3.amazonaws.com/m...6f6189096d.jpg[/QUOTE]

Upon looking at this, I have that face that Charlie Brown gave after reading "Forget, Kid" from a heart candy on Valentine's day.

That is one ugly building, regardless of height.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
That statement seems off to me. Who said this?
Read the agenda item.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 9:38 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I think the first story of the two mixed use buildings is actually really cool and unique (with the limestone/brick facades and arches and stuff). I also dig the barrel vault ceiling thing going on with the market building. The other 90% of this I'm not crazy about, but I can live with it. As others said, it's very "safe". Maybe the residential component will be a little more interesting.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the relationships here, but Zachry is simply the operator/contractor for the development, right?

Those renderings had Overland on them, so it would appear Zachry hired Overland for the design phase. So surely if there’s enough displeasure voiced, Zachry could choose a different firm to do the designs.
Don't count on it. The park redevelopment is all an inside job, with no obligation to public accountability. Quoting a comment somebody wrote about this development on another website:

"The Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation (HPARC, the corporation the City of San Antonio created to oversee the development of Hemisfair Park in 2009) awarded this development contract to a partnership between Zachry Hospitality and the NRP Group. David Zachry, current CEO of Zachry Hospitality, sat on the original board of directors of HPARC.

I’ll repeat that: HPARC awarded this development contract to the company of one of its former board members.

Additionally, I’m sure this part is just a coincidence but I’ll go ahead and mention it here anyway: Zachry Hospitality (an organization within the Zachry Corporation) was formed in 2009, the same year the City organized the Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp. and named David Zachry as a board member."

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
umm... okay. As a published writer, I guess I still have a lot to learn, though I do not see how either "for" or "in" are wrong or right in context. Aside from grammar correcting, do you have something to add to the "opinion" of mine or are you just trying to incite soliloquy through use of grammar correction?

I'll wait.

Hilarious

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Don't count on it. The park redevelopment is all an inside job, with no obligation to public accountability. Quoting a comment somebody wrote about this development on another website:

"The Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation (HPARC, the corporation the City of San Antonio created to oversee the development of Hemisfair Park in 2009) awarded this development contract to a partnership between Zachry Hospitality and the NRP Group. David Zachry, current CEO of Zachry Hospitality, sat on the original board of directors of HPARC.

I’ll repeat that: HPARC awarded this development contract to the company of one of its former board members.

Additionally, I’m sure this part is just a coincidence but I’ll go ahead and mention it here anyway: Zachry Hospitality (an organization within the Zachry Corporation) was formed in 2009, the same year the City organized the Hemisfair Park Area Redevelopment Corp. and named David Zachry as a board member."
Sometimes it takes someone writing out what we all know for it to really kick in. This is obscene. Horrible.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 4:44 AM

Graft and cronyism

"Omar Gonzalez, director of real estate for HPARC, said it was clear Zachry was the right pick for the public-private projects. “The Zachry group met all of our criteria and in fact exceeded our criteria in some places,” he said.

The fact that one developer has been selected for the multiple projects is expected to create continuity in the connection with Hemisfair’s planned civic park and other green spaces. “Having a single developer gives us a single vision,” HPARC’s Drew Hicks said. “It lets these spaces work together.”

Zachry has turned to San Antonio-based Overland Partners to design the multistructure development, which also includes two levels of underground parking with 800 spaces connected to the hotel and office building. “We looked across the country. But we wanted someone that had the qualifications — which they do by far — and also someone who understood San Antonio,” Garcia said. “Our focus was not another development that is for tourists. This is genuinely about creating a destination spot for our community.”"

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...hemisfair.html

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Graft and cronyism

"Omar Gonzalez, director of real estate for HPARC, said it was clear Zachry was the right pick for the public-private projects. “The Zachry group met all of our criteria and in fact exceeded our criteria in some places,” he said.

The fact that one developer has been selected for the multiple projects is expected to create continuity in the connection with Hemisfair’s planned civic park and other green spaces. “Having a single developer gives us a single vision,” HPARC’s Drew Hicks said. “It lets these spaces work together.”

Zachry has turned to San Antonio-based Overland Partners to design the multistructure development, which also includes two levels of underground parking with 800 spaces connected to the hotel and office building. “We looked across the country. But we wanted someone that had the qualifications — which they do by far — and also someone who understood San Antonio,” Garcia said. “Our focus was not another development that is for tourists. This is genuinely about creating a destination spot for our community.”"

Is this a city project, like the Grand Hyatt? If so, no surprise we'll pay out the nose for an inferior product.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Graft and cronyism

This is a blatant attempt by Zachry Hospitality to protect their asset, the Hilton Palacio del Rio. Most design proposals (even theirs) called for a large, tall hotel on the Northwest corner of the property. This would have obscured the view of the Hilton, not to mention the ability of people to see it (red and green lights at Christmas). Now this revised design comes out. The building is shorter, and the massing is moved to the south, and it is bent back away from the street on the north end. I am sure that this will ensure that most, if not the whole Hilton will continue to have a view of the tower and the park for events like new year's fireworks. Zachry also owns the tower life that is so prominent in the main picture. I had hopes that the selection of Zachry would be a good choice. I am sure that the office space that was shown on the north end, as part of the future development, will end up being shorter than was originally indicated to protect the view of the Hilton as well.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 5:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Please just stop with the all or nothing, us against them statements like this. This forum is to discuss buildings and developments. People are allowed to have opinions... that's what half of the discussions are comprised of. You can disagree with others, or you can choose to possibly be a little enlightened by something someone else says. In any case, please be civil about it.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 6:20 PM

Hey everyone, new to the forum. I am on the side that really likes this. I think this might be one of those times when its all said & done, its going to turn out a lot nicer & more modern than the renderings show. Love all the opinions & information thoigh. Keep them coming! That's why were here!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 6:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I am on the side that really likes this. I think this might be one of those times when its all said & done, its going to turn out a lot nicer & more modern than the renderings show. Love all the opinions & information thoigh. Keep them coming! That's why were here!
(like button)

Welcome to the forum and I hope you're right.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 8:17 PM

As a person passionate about urban design, and a long-time (every day) reader of this forum, this particular topic has caused me to finally weigh in with my two cents.
I think these designs would be a huge mistake. Upon first glance, I thought these were renderings for a suburban office park or other low-density development. In fact, they would actually work really well as such. But they don't belong in this space. This design should be world-class, cutting-edge, inspiring. Not all designs need to be, but this one, which represents Hemisfair Park and the future of San Antonio, definitely should. And this plays it too safe, to say the least. It's just all-around disappointing. Also, why are they cheating us on the height again? Not that it needs to be a skyscraper, but once again here we see a plan for a shorter, fatter, wider building that obstructs views instead of something more slender that adds to the skyline. Why?? The previous rendering showed a much better design IMO. Don't get me wrong, I actually kind of like the glass designs, especially the shorter marketplace building, but I'd like to see it maybe on Broadway or somewhere in the museum reach, somewhere to add to the surrounding density. But this is the wrong place to put these designs. I hope HDRC rejects this and seeks something with more character, integrity, and impact on the downtown image.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 8:26 PM

I completely agree with SA_Pride28. This space will be the heart of San Antonio. The proposed structures are ordinary at best and completely misplaced. These buildings look like they should be a part of the Landmark development off of I10/1604, NOT a place that will become the living room of San Antonio.

An earlier post showed the Toronto City Hall buildings...consider that these buildings are far superior to the hotel that is planned AND those buildings were conceived and constructed in the 1960s! San Antonio deserves something that it can be proud of, but sadly yet again we are left to wait and wonder what could have been.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio