HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Same, but different, but still same.
This is what I mean about some folks not seeing the bigger picture. I'm not saying that you're one of these people. But what I'm trying to understand is your position. Are you saying that you're ok with common interests being leveled but not ok with Dirty's being leveled? Or do you feel ok with both being leveled? Or neither?

I think the most important thing is for what is best for the city's culture and living environment. Not just one's feelings, emotions or memories. It sucks seeing Hutz go out like it did. It sucked hearing about La Mexicana closing shop as well. But those places closing up are not important for the culture or environment of the city the way a light rail would be important for the city, or the way that the 4th street gay district is also important for the city's culture. I've never been to CI, but from what is being described here, I can completely understand. I've also never been to Broken Spoke but I sure as hell would understand if that were getting leveled by some generic condos where another Lavaca St Bar, or Kung Fu Saloon would replace it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
This is what I mean about some folks not seeing the bigger picture. I'm not saying that you're one of these people. But what I'm trying to understand is your position. Are you saying that you're ok with common interests being leveled but not ok with Dirty's being leveled? Or do you feel ok with both being leveled? Or neither?
Appreciate you asking and not assuming. I have been going to Dirty's since I was born. My dad would take me there on the way home from preschool and we'd sit at the burger bar. He'd order two beers, in Dirty glasses (a root beer for me and a beer for him). Classic dad joke. I work downtown now and I go there for lunch about once a month. The burgers aren't great but they are nostalgic for me. I'm friends with Daniel Young, the guy who runs the place. But I have refused to sign his petition, because I see the bigger picture.

Part of seeing the bigger picture though, is recognizing that one cannot expect others to roll over 'for the greater good' and then scream bloody murder when their favorite place is facing the wrecking ball. Calling someone a NIMBY is fully justified when someone takes the attitude of 'what's mine is mine and what's yours is negotiable.' When someone acts like that, then the reaction is predictably the opposite. There has to be empathy, negotiation, compromise, and civility in civilization.

I'm going to miss Dirty's just as much or more than someone is going to miss Huts, or Common Interest, or Iron Bear. But Dirty's can move, Huts can become Sammies and the Iron Bear can move to some place even better.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:27 PM

The 2 small buildings that were once Maund Imports, at the SE corner of the intersection of St Joseph Blvd(Northcross Dr) and Burnet, just down the road from Top Notch, have been demo'd. I am not finding anything online about what the future plans are for the property though.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:30 PM

Quote:
See, now its Your Back Yard.

Watch, I'll try: I had my post graduation reception at Dirty Martins (see, now it's my back yard!).

Yep.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:31 PM

Quote:
See, now its Your Back Yard.

Watch, I'll try: I had my post graduation reception at Dirty Martins (see, now it's my back yard!).

I totally knew this was coming. Lol. Y'all are like sharks in bloody water with this NIMBY name calling if we don't all agree an incoming mixed-use project is a godsend. My comments on the matter are nowhere near the same as the dirty's drama.

I encourage new members on here to keep an open mind on these things too.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I totally knew this was coming. Lol. Y'all are like sharks in bloody water with this NIMBY name calling if we don't all agree an incoming mixed-use project is a godsend. My comments on the matter are nowhere near the same as the dirty's drama.

I ain't no new member cuz. And I encourage old members to keep an open mind too.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYIMBY View Post
The 2 small buildings that were once Maund Imports, at the SE corner of the intersection of St Joseph Blvd(Northcross Dr) and Burnet, just down the road from Top Notch, have been demo'd. I am not finding anything online about what the future plans are for the property though.
see back a few threads

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=198

based on the ownership in TCAD, it seems to somehow relate to the VMU across the street at 7600 Burnet (chase building).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:46 PM

Quote:
I ain't no new member cuz. And I encourage old members to keep an open mind too.
hmmm

edit:

dammit I always quick post and unfinished. I meant other users, Maximus. Noted for all tho.

Last edited by ahealy; Apr 11, 2022 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
see back a few threads

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=198

based on the ownership in TCAD, it seems to somehow relate to the VMU across the street at 7600 Burnet (chase building).
Ahhh yes. Thank you, I saw where it was mentioned that it had a demo permit, and thought I had seen it mentioned another place as well. Still perplexed why these would be linked together though, other than saving a little money by not filing for another LLC. But I thought they usually try to keep these properties on seperate LLCs as a way of shielding their interests in case one of the projects goes bankrupt. But I'm sure I am not well versed on this subject.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 11:59 PM

The Dirty Martin's building can be moved. Buildings much larger have been moved before.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I am very happy to disappoint with being a "NIMBY" folks... I think the definition has become a bit muddled on here tbh. This isn't the same as preserving a burger joint over rail. Check out any other city forum and you'll see the same arguments pop up often. It isn't yuppie Crestview panic either. We're talking a strip mall, yes, that happens to house special public activation venues. If the developer offered ground floor retail for CI Nosh & Bevvy and the others, that would be different all together. Apparently they are not. I know a lot of you care about street level interaction and I don't particularly want to see another Crestview Commons dead zone along Burnet.

I love architecture, urbanism and design. It doesn't mean I'm a yes man for anything housing oriented...and this comes from a former realtor. I'm pretty picky with what I endorse and lately a lot of announcements are bottom of the barrel for Austin. Sorry, but it is true! This is SkyscraperPage, not HousingAndHeightNoMatterWhatPage
preach!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 1:07 AM

Some good discussions.The point I agree with the most is that we , as a city , have to be hyper critical of what we are giving up for what we are getting. 'cause we just don't have that much more to give up before there is little heart left.
I will say I also wish these conversations could happen without calling people NIMBYs It's a bullying technique meant to shut down by shaming. Not useful.
I've never been to Dirtys' or CI ( I'm kinda embarrassed to say) . BUT what I know is that the idea of "they can move" is not reasonable. And move where? These local businesses can't afford , nor would they be as interesting in, generic vertical Strip malls. Thats all we're getting. Quick infill with little interest. I encourage people to let the long run out value the short. Wait for the quality over quantity.

Last edited by MichaelB; Apr 12, 2022 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 1:46 AM

A simple rule to remember:

The built environment > The retailers occupying a certain space. Every time. Every situation.

YIMBYs know there will be sacrifices they have to make. It's not pain-free. We have to have a long view of this city so it develops into something amazing that benefits everyone, not just favoring short-term benefits because they benefit you personally.

Not having ground-floor retail is a fair criticism.

Not giving ground-floor retail to a certain retailer is not.

Retailers can move around and find new buildings. It happens all the time. It's supposed to happen.

(I have been to Common Interest, by the way.)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post

I don't know if I can agree with that. I guess some people are ok with not protecting local businesses and allowing outside businesses like a Starbucks or Chipotle to wreak havoc in our "keep Austin weird" culture.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Appreciate you asking and not assuming. I have been going to Dirty's since I was born. My dad would take me there on the way home from preschool and we'd sit at the burger bar. He'd order two beers, in Dirty glasses (a root beer for me and a beer for him). Classic dad joke. I work downtown now and I go there for lunch about once a month. The burgers aren't great but they are nostalgic for me. I'm friends with Daniel Young, the guy who runs the place. But I have refused to sign his petition, because I see the bigger picture.

Part of seeing the bigger picture though, is recognizing that one cannot expect others to roll over 'for the greater good' and then scream bloody murder when their favorite place is facing the wrecking ball. Calling someone a NIMBY is fully justified when someone takes the attitude of 'what's mine is mine and what's yours is negotiable.' When someone acts like that, then the reaction is predictably the opposite. There has to be empathy, negotiation, compromise, and civility in civilization.

I'm going to miss Dirty's just as much or more than someone is going to miss Huts, or Common Interest, or Iron Bear. But Dirty's can move, Huts can become Sammies and the Iron Bear can move to some place even better.

This is a good post.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
A simple rule to remember:

The built environment > The retailers occupying a certain space. Every time. Every situation.

YIMBYs know there will be sacrifices they have to make. It's not pain-free. We have to have a long view of this city so it develops into something amazing that benefits everyone, not just favoring short-term benefits because they benefit you personally.

Not having ground-floor retail is a fair criticism.

Retailers can move around and find new buildings. It happens all the time. It's supposed to happen.

(I have been to Common Interest, by the way.)
+1 to this, I was gonna say almost the same thing.

I think "don't want another Crestview Commons dead zone" is a solid criticism. This project replacing retail should have ground floor retail. What I don't agree with is "OMG IT'S JUST ORANGE THEORY AND CHIPOTLE". That part is a temporary problem that go away in time as this complex moves on from being the new and shiny place to the place with some character and rough edges.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 4:57 AM

Quote:

In some sense, I've made a similar argument before when talking about Rainey. When people griped about the skyscrapers replacing the bars, I asked them if they reacted the same way when they kicked out the people that lived there for decades.

But just so we're clear, my being ok with Dirty's getting the wrecking ball, or Spiderhouse, or the Dobie Theater getting the wrecking ball are part of this 'negotiation'. Those are places that I would visit on a regular basis and places that I also have very fond memories that many folks will never understand what made them special. Those we're "my places". Even places like Vulcan and I Luv Video, (but those had more to do with streaming services taking over.)

It's not that we are picking and choosing based on our own particular interests. For example, I've never been to Common Interests and I've only been to OCH like once, but I know fully well that just bulldozing all these places that so many frequently visit are basically abusing this 'negotiation'. From my understand, this development has only benefited the folks and national franchises who can afford it. This is also an abuse of that negotiation. Cities should be built to give everyone opportunities to succeed. I think everyone is asking for some sense of reason without kicking Austin's authenticity entirely to the curb. I don't think that's an unreasonable part of this negotiation.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 6:06 PM

Quote:

Relatively new member (but longtime lurker) here. I love Common Interest, will miss it when it’s gone, and hope it finds a new spot. I also think any apartment building on that lot ought to have first floor retail (though probably not for Common Interest 2.0, as an open-until-2AM karaoke bar is not really an optimal establishment for the first floor of a residential building). But even if it doesn’t have retail, apartments are nevertheless a much better use of that lot.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 10:07 PM

Burnet Place Apartments

https://www.virtualbx.com/bid-bullet...tments-subbid/

Quote:
Work includes the construction of a new 61-unit, affordable housing development, 3-story apartment building structures of Type 5-B construction, approximately 38,487 sf.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin