HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:57 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Is there any way of knowing how full the inbound flight is? I believe the outbound is fully booked according to Jesus Saenz.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Is there any way of knowing how full the inbound flight is? I believe the outbound is fully booked according to Jesus Saenz.
I've been searching but nothing yet. Found a guy traveling for airways magazine that's on the flight but no mention of how full the flight is.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 8:24 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
SAT has been mentioned as the for sure slot by numerous politicians including Ted Cruz. He isn’t going to let SAT fall through the cracks, the flight is happening if the bill is signed.
Getting a slot is one hurdle. Getting an airline to bite is another. That's all I was saying. I did not say it definitely wouldn't happen. But, it's not p to politicians to initiate a route. It's the airline(s).

Anyway, AA has already been tapped as a partner in trying to bring this route to fruition.

We'll see...But, it looks quite positive right now!

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 8:32 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post
Erin Rodriguez, Senior Public Information Officer
San Antonio International Airport

SAN ANTONIO (May 15, 2024) — Today, San Antonio International Airport (SAT) and American Airlines announced a partnership with the goal of initiating nonstop service from San Antonio to Washington, D.C. Five new roundtrip flights at Reagan National Airport (DCA) were authorized through the passage of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) bill today. Once these new slots are made available, American Airlines will submit an application to the U.S. Department of Transportation to initiate service from SAT to DCA.

“We have been working for more than a decade to give residents of America’s seventh-largest city the same access to our nation’s leaders as nearly every other major city in the country,” said San Antonio Mayor Ron Nirenberg. “I am grateful for the hard work of Senator Cruz and our entire congressional delegation and look forward to Secretary Buttigieg’s approval of American’s application to initiate nonstop service from Military City USA to DCA.”

SAT serves a regional population of more than 5.2 million people and is home to a diversified robust economy, including one of the largest concentrations of military bases in the country. Joint Base San Antonio supports 266 mission partners and employs 82,000 active-duty members and civilian employees. A nonstop flight between San Antonio and Reagan National will save the military and its partners more than 500,000 man-hours annually. Additionally, San Antonio is home to the largest concentration of intelligence and cybersecurity professionals outside of the national capital region.

“With Congress increasing the number of long-distance flights at DCA, American is thrilled to announce its intent to apply to serve San Antonio International Airport (SAT) from Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA),” said American Executive Vice President of Corporate Real Estate and Chief Government Affairs Officer Nate Gatten. “San Antonio is one of the fastest growing cities in the country and is the largest unserved market in Texas from DCA. This route will provide a one-stop connection option from the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic to SAT on our industry-leading domestic network while continuing to offer nonstop service to more than 85 destinations from DCA. We’re grateful to Senator Cruz, the San Antonio International Airport, and the city of San Antonio for their partnership to connect Military City USA to our nation's capital on American Airlines."

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), the ranking member of the Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, worked with U.S. Senator and Chair of the committee Maria Cantwell (D-WA) to secure language for five new slots in the reauthorization bill for the Federal Aviation Administration. Last week, the Senate approved the FAA bill by a bipartisan vote of 88-4. Today, the House approved the bill overwhelmingly 387 to 26.

“I am thrilled that the City of San Antonio is now positioned to directly access our nation’s capital with a non-stop flight into Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport,“ Sen. Cruz said. “By working together, we overcame fierce opposition to my bipartisan provision expanding long-haul flights to Reagan National. Today’s announcement is a huge step forward for the residents of Military City USA, and I am especially proud that a company with strong Lone Star State roots and a storied history of supporting our servicemembers is choosing to invest in this route. I will be pressing the U.S. Department of Transportation to swiftly approve applications for the five long-haul flights that I successfully included in this year’s FAA reauthorization bill and look forward to being on the first direct San Antonio-Reagan National flight later this year.”

Currently, there are no direct flights from SAT to DCA, requiring San Antonio travelers to make connections through other airports or take ground transportation from Dulles International Airport or Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport to Washington, D.C., adding both time and costs to their itineraries. San Antonio has repeatedly been blocked in its efforts to get direct flights from DCA, putting it at a competitive disadvantage. Nonstop service by American would increase competition for Texas consumers by adding a fourth carrier flying from SAT to a third different airport in the DC/Maryland/Virginia region and providing connectivity to numerous other airports in the Northeast United States via American’s hub at DCA. Based on the number of daily passengers currently traveling each way between the two airports, DCA is one of the largest unserved markets from SAT.

Once the President signs the FAA bill into law, the U.S. Department of Transportation will have 60 days to award the five slot pairs to airlines and their proposed routes. American Airlines' sole application will be to serve SAT.

For more information about SAT’s 45 nonstop destinations, please visit the airport’s website.
^^^Ms. Rodriguez, that quote is a bit of a stretch. It makes it sound like SAT is the only airport available to 5.2 million people.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
^^^Ms. Rodriguez, that quote is a bit of a stretch. It makes it sound like SAT is the only airport available to 5.2 million people.
Just curious what makes up 5.2 million people because if Austin is included in that number there are already direct flights from AUS to DCA on Southwest have been for years.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:55 AM

Id assume they said 5.2 because they do grab people from the Austin MSA just like Austin grabs people from the San Antonio MSA. When it comes down to it, in regards to the DCA flight, this legislation from H.R. 3935 is geared towards awarding the 5 additional DCA slots to beyond perimeter airports that currently do not have service.

San Antonio and San Diego top that list and we’ve seen in the news that AA has said they will submit their only application for SAT and AS will submit their application for San Diego. The slots have to be awarded within 60 days of the president signing the bill…which he did on Thursday this past week.

Is there a scenario where this flight doesn’t happen? Sure…but the chances of that happening are extremely small in my opinion. I’ll be interested to see what happens with the other 3 slots. A lot of people believe they will go to Denver, LAX and Seattle
If you want to read the exact verbiage, go check out section 502 of H.R. 3935.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:55 PM

Article on the flight from express news. Here’s a snippet with info on ticket sales.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...f-19465084.php

The flight is seasonal — from May 17 through Sept. 6 — and offered once a day Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. That could be expanded if demand is high enough.

But Mikko Turtiainen, Condor’s director of sales for the Americas, said the company won’t decide on the future of the route until after the first season.

Turtiainen has been tight-lipped about ticket sales, but said about 200 of the first outbound flight’s 310 seats were taken up Friday night. He said about 150 people flew into San Antonio from Frankfurt.

Turtiainen noted that first flights are “always a bit of a struggle.” He said bookings have been picking up in the past two weeks and he expects sales to climb as the season advances.

“I’m really happy with the numbers,” he said.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:03 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Article on the flight from express news. Here’s a snippet with info on ticket sales.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/art...f-19465084.php

The flight is seasonal — from May 17 through Sept. 6 — and offered once a day Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. That could be expanded if demand is high enough.

But Mikko Turtiainen, Condor’s director of sales for the Americas, said the company won’t decide on the future of the route until after the first season.

Turtiainen has been tight-lipped about ticket sales, but said about 200 of the first outbound flight’s 310 seats were taken up Friday night. He said about 150 people flew into San Antonio from Frankfurt.

Turtiainen noted that first flights are “always a bit of a struggle.” He said bookings have been picking up in the past two weeks and he expects sales to climb as the season advances.

“I’m really happy with the numbers,” he said.
Good to know… I swear Saenz said the flight was fully booked in an article a while back, but this sounds more like what I was expecting. I’m actually surprised there was 150 pax on the flight from FRA quite frankly. But good to hear things are picking up. 200 I think is solid and I think as word gets out about these flights (and quite frankly how cheap they are), this flight will be a winner for Condor.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio