HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 8:10 AM
visionary

Univerisity of Winipeg Thread

I figured making this thread would make things here more organised.

Ok we all know U of W is in Expansion mode that will greatly benefit this city.

My one question is is why don't they build dormitories. I wouldn't mind seeing them by block or 2 of land ( get rid of one street) and transform it to dorm and apartements.

Those proposed strip malls to be built on Spencer are those only going to be one level. I would much prefer if they were multi levels. Perhaps some apartement ontop.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 11:02 AM
BANNED

Well, the U of W is still intending to purchase the Holiday Inn for residences. Once the bus depot moves, housing could be built atop the parking garage. But I would like to see a wall of low-rise buildings along Spence and young. If the U of W could purchase the apartment block across from Duckworth (the one fronting Balmoral), that could make some great student housing...fill the adj. parking lot too.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 4:41 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Anyone see the construction happening in front of Duckworth?

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
There was talk that the area between the University and Duckworth was to be a student centre like the U of M

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 8:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

they got student housing...... in the school... and across the street from it... in thoughs apartments next to greyhound..................

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
They're puttin' an addition on Duckworth. New fitness centre (replacing the hole in the basement) and some retail (including a student union run coffee shop that will hopefully serve better stuff than the current swill on campus). I believe the official groundbreaking ceremony is on Monday.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 9:18 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:31 AM

1ajs... the image you posted above is not the Duckworth Reno...I think that's the proposal for an indoor soccer complex. I will see if I can post an image of the Duckworth project later in the week. The previous post posts were correct, they are moving the gym out of the basement, and they are incorporating a streetside cafe. There is an announcement on Monday.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotterpin View Post
1ajs... the image you posted above is not the Duckworth Reno...I think that's the proposal for an indoor soccer complex. I will see if I can post an image of the Duckworth project later in the week. The previous post posts were correct, they are moving the gym out of the basement, and they are incorporating a streetside cafe. There is an announcement on Monday.
i just posted it in this thread cause it belongs in here

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i just posted it in this thread cause it belongs in here
My apologies. It certainly belongs here. I really like this project also. Do you know the street location for this proposal?

Tonnes of good stuff going on at the UofW...are there any images of any of the other project proposals kicking around? I hope to be able to release some of the information on a few projects I am involved with in a short while.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
My apologies. It certainly belongs here. I really like this project also. Do you know the street location for this proposal?

Tonnes of good stuff going on at the UofW...are there any images of any of the other project proposals kicking around? I hope to be able to release some of the information on a few projects I am involved with in a short while.
well viking posted his design for the science center but i think they went with some one els's design (corect me if i'm wrong on somthing)

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
well viking posted his design for the science center but i think they went with some one els's design (corect me if i'm wrong on somthing)

I think you're talking about the Faculty of the Environment. Busby Perkins+Will are working with Number10 on the design, TV's rendering was a preliminary design. It's not so much that they chose someone else's design over TV's, it's just that the project likely evolved in a different direction. I am personaly looking forward to what is released on this project...Busby are world leaders in sustainible architecture and this building will have a significant impact on our city.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:09 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
I think you're talking about the Faculty of the Environment. Busby Perkins+Will are working with Number10 on the design, TV's rendering was a preliminary design. It's not so much that they chose someone else's design over TV's, it's just that the project likely evolved in a different direction. I am personaly looking forward to what is released on this project...Busby are world leaders in sustainible architecture and this building will have a significant impact on our city.
yeah, the college will be a collaborative design between number ten and busby...obviously working with a high end design firm like that, it is difficult for number ten to maintain design influence eventhough the project is technically theirs and busby is only a consultant.

the programme has changed a lot since the schematic design, and the form is evolving to suit that...it will probably be a decent building...i dont necessarily love the direction it is heading....the budget is tight....the exterior character will be taking shape in the next month or so.

Last edited by trueviking; May 14, 2007 at 1:47 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:14 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperred88 View Post
My one question is is why don't they build dormitories.
announcement is imminent.

the u of w is also doing a complete redevelopment of the courtyard on portage avenue.

as well, there is the potential redevelopment of the bus depot into something university related.

also the theatre development has already been announced.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:17 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
along spence, connected to the south side of duckworth.

i really hope the city is bold enough to award this project to the u of w....a hockey rink and soccer complex in that area will have incredible community outreach possibilities.

my bet is that they award it to a site near the golf dome....but i hope i am wrong.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:18 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
announcement is imminent.

the u of w is also doing a complete redevelopment of the courtyard on portage avenue.

as well, there is the potential redevelopment of the bus depot into something university related.

also the theatre development has already been announced.

you got the other images for that so i can fix the broken links on the winnipeg construction thread?

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Home news CJOB News
Click here to find out more!
U of W Expansion
MAY 14 2007 01:40 PM
Bookmark Page Bookmark Page Email page to a friend Email to a friend Print Page Print Page

Click for RSS xml About RSS

The University of Winnipeg is expanding its athletic facilities.
Construction is underway on a 3.2 million dollar upgrade to the Duckworth Centre that will see a two-storey wrap-around extension to the existing facility.
The plans include a new fitness centre for students, staff, and the public, added classrooms, expanded athletic therapy facilities and retail space.
U of W President Dr. Lloyd Axworthy says the expansion is part of the development strategy to bring university services out onto the street to use:

(play audio)

Axworthy says construction should be completed by the fall.

CJOB's Colleen Bready reporting.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 1:45 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
They're puttin' an addition on Duckworth. New fitness centre (replacing the hole in the basement) and some retail (including a student union run coffee shop that will hopefully serve better stuff than the current swill on campus). I believe the official groundbreaking ceremony is on Monday.
That is great news for the U of Dub ... I am glad to finally see it get some nice new buildings. Hopefully its not a generic university coffee shop... the students deserve much more.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 1:44 PM
BANNED

It will be a fair trade coffee shop.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diva View Post
It will be a fair trade coffee shop.
Pretty much a given if it is indeed being run by the student union. I just hope they get decent equipment and learn how to brew a proper cup of coffee. It's a long walk to Starbucks...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan