HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 11:31 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
What I don't understand is why the chain would completely abandon a major Canadian market. It doesn't really make any sense. The restaurant in my end of town always did pretty well or so I thought.
Don't feel left out. I think there are 3 wendy's locations total in Montreal (and dropping).. and I can only think of a couple in Ottawa. None on the Quebec side of the river that I know of.

I was surprised by the number of Tim Hortons on Portage avenue in Winnipeg when I visited last March. Crazy.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 12:14 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
NOoooooooo!!!!

Wendy's is by far my favorite fast food chain. Those frosties rule.. and I am also a big Classic Single Combo meal fan. This sucks!!

The Wendy's out on west Portage was usually always busy .. and the one across from Polo Park also did a very strong business. It makes no sense the chain is closing up locations. What the hell is wrong with the world today, when a great burger chain leaves town.

What one will be the lone existing location .... I will visiting them when I come to Winnipeg.
Supposedly any restaurant that has a Tim Hortons in it will stay open. To the best of my knowledge there is only one such restaurant on Kenaston.

In the case of my Wendy's on Henderson, it was really strange to be eating in there one day and then come back a week later and see the place all boarded up.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 12:18 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyPeg View Post
I won't be all too disappointed if a Tony Roma's replaces the Wendy's on Regent.
The Transcona restaurant is turning into the cities largest Starbucks. I think it's a pretty odd location for a franchise.

When I think Transcona I think lunch boxes, black coffee, and a predominantly blue collar workforce working at Newflyer or the CN shops.

I doubt a lot of those guys would be caught dead drinking a Cafe Americano.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
Jack in the Box! I need more antenna balls (no jokes, please).

The Wendy's on Henderson used to be absolutely dead. I'm not surprised they closed. It will be opening as a Starbucks in August. Can't wait (although a Second Cup would be better - but hey, does Henderson even have a good coffee place right now?).
Yaaa, Sals.

I know what you mean though, no self respecting, white collar, Yukon driving, East. St.Paulian would ever be caugt dead in a place like Sals. Now that place is pure Elmwood through and through.

I'm sure the Starbucks will do fine.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 12:25 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I think Wendy's did Salads the best.

Normally I consider eating anything but a burger sacrilege. But, when it comes to healthy fast food, at least Wendy's salads were palatable.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 1:20 PM

theres another wendy/tim in southdale (Hwy 1 heading east)and the tims portion has the longest lineups in all of the 'peg, wendy is very very quiet

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 1:22 PM

they aren't being converted to dual format (ala KFC/Taco Bell) as Tims parent company is no longer owned by wendy

also very surprised about starbucks on regent corner...i guess they are moving out of the strip mall around the corner by safeway by running room.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 1:23 PM

Nobody in this city can touch a FAT BOY from Dairy Whip on Marion (AKA the Greeks or the Wip). get crazy and go for the $5.50 double fat boy....droolllll

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 1:31 PM
What could go wrong?

- The Wendy's on Nairn was torn down and will be replaced by a Tony Roma's.
- The Wendy's on Henderson is becoming a Starbuck's
- The Wendy's on west Portage - no tenant.
- The Wendy's on St James - is now hiring.
- The Route 90 Wendy's by Red River College is still operating.
- The combined Tim's and Wendy's locations on Fermor and on Kenaston are newer outlets.
- The Wendy's on Main is supposed to become some new development - finally

The company has not renewed any of their leases on their old buildings and has been closing those stores. It has nothing to do with the stores still being busy.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 1:40 PM

When I was going to school I worked at the Wendy's on Henderson as a supervisor. At that time all Wendy's in Winnipeg were corporate owned. The Henderson location was never a huge money maker, but being corporate owned it didn't matter as much. They made enough that to contribute to the regional sales, so head office didn't really worry too much.

Around 1997 or 1998 the Winnipeg restaurants were bought by a franchisee. I think that was beginning of the end for Wendy's in Winnipeg. The push went for more profit, which meant all the stores started to slide in quality and the buildings were not being as well maintained.

Sad to see them go, but I am not too surprised.

The one on Pembina seems to be pretty dead most of the time; I bet it'll go too.

Tyler

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 6:12 PM
Movin' on up

Whatever. I don't care if there are single restaurant Wendy's, or if they are in Co-houts with Timmies; as long as there are Wendy's I am happy.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 9:00 PM
I am a typical

A&W is better.

*Is proud to live in Northwestern Ontario, where, for an unknown reason, every community with more than 2000 people has an A&W *

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 9:26 PM
Honored Member

I actually heard somewhere that Wendy's are really starting to cut down their operations in the northern tier US and Canada and consolidating them more in the southern and central US. I have no idea why, but you'll notice that as you drive further south in the US, you start seeing more and more Wendy's per capita. I have no idea why they'r doing this.

I'm just waiting for Sonic to get to Fargo. Sioux Falls built one recently, so I know it may be soon.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 9:42 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

BK makes better burgers than Wendy's and McD's anyways.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 9:47 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^You can't complain when one of those major fast food chains leave your city...just not worth it, and too many other good places to get a burger anyways (let's start with Albert St).
VJ's on Main @ Broadway is my favourite local burger place.

Also did you know that Daly Burgers on Corydon put up a new sign? I liked the old '91 era sign better but never photographed it.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
The Transcona restaurant is turning into the cities largest Starbucks. I think it's a pretty odd location for a franchise.

When I think Transcona I think lunch boxes, black coffee, and a predominantly blue collar workforce working at Newflyer or the CN shops.

I doubt a lot of those guys would be caught dead drinking a Cafe Americano.
Well that is disappointing - seems like a pretty bad spot for a higher end coffee joint - a restaraunt seems more appropriate.

BTW, Flyer and CN are quite a distance from that location - so I will safely say that none of the folks working at either of those places will drive that far for a 5 dollar coffee.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 12:19 AM

^Yep, VJ's. Red Top in St B was also a good burger...can't remember what it was called, but they did have a monster burger - if I recall 6 patties (three stacked side-by-side)?

I don't get some of the other chains you guys are asking for...with the exception of maybe Red Robin (they weren't bad...they pulled out of Calgary too for some reason). IHOP, White Spot, Krispy Kreme, etc, are all terrible places.

But no one is lamenting Fudd's from pulling out years ago?? They also had one of the best "chain" burgers in the city.

"Albertaboy" - since you're in Calgary, you'd be doing yourself a favour and trying the Fat Burger at Deerfoot Meadows. In my opinion, the second best California chain restaurant (after the undisputed best, In-n-Out).

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 12:37 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
^Yep, VJ's. Red Top in St B was also a good burger...can't remember what it was called, but they did have a monster burger - if I recall 6 patties (three stacked side-by-side)?

I don't get some of the other chains you guys are asking for...with the exception of maybe Red Robin (they weren't bad...they pulled out of Calgary too for some reason). IHOP, White Spot, Krispy Kreme, etc, are all terrible places.

But no one is lamenting Fudd's from pulling out years ago?? They also had one of the best "chain" burgers in the city.

"Albertaboy" - since you're in Calgary, you'd be doing yourself a favour and trying the Fat Burger at Deerfoot Meadows. In my opinion, the second best California chain restaurant (after the undisputed best, In-n-Out).
Hmmm, that is right by where I live. There is also apparently some little place on 16th Ave. near Deerfoot Tr. (starts with a P I believe) that too have fabulous burgers and shakes. Gonna have to try them all and then go on a sever diet.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Hmmm, that is right by where I live. There is also apparently some little place on 16th Ave. near Deerfoot Tr. (starts with a P I believe) that too have fabulous burgers and shakes. Gonna have to try them all and then go on a sever diet.
Peter's Drive Inn? I hope you don't mean that place. How it gets ranked as the best burger in Cowtown I will never know.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 1:43 AM
Calgarian

You guys don't need a Krispy Kreme - that craze is over and Tim Hortons won the donut wars. How the Krispy Kreme in Calgary even remains open is a mystery to me, there never seems to be any customers or cars in the lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan