HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 8:58 PM
BANNED

As opposed to traditional "project-like" nasty concrete bunkers in the north end, developments like Waverly West can include affordable housing: Winnipeg Housing (through funding from the province) can build X number of homes (houses, condo units) within the development. The government can partner with the private sector; take Place Joseph on Tache for instance...the government can contribute X dollars to have X number of units added to the development for low-income families, etc. Mixed-income communities need to be developed.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 9:07 PM
Closed account

Leo just needs to downsize his stadium to a 20,000 seat arena and there you go. Problem solved. Arena/hotel/waterpark/whatever...

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsabo21 View Post
How exactly will Gov't do this? Buy houses at market value in River Heights and give them to a low income family at a discounted price in exchange for "sweat equity"? This never works on mass scale. Habitat for humanity is one family at a time. It would take 1000 years to help the 40,000 or so Winnipeggers living in poverty.

I hate to sound harsh, but poverty is a fact of life. In fact, the poorest in Canada are still 10,000% better than 90% of the world. We provide free health care, social assistance, employment insurance, free public education, free post secondary enducation for aboriginal status, free job training seminars, free ESL for immagrants, legal aid, etc, etc, etc ...

At some point, you have to draw the line on social programs, it's a battle that you just can't win. Provide the tools, then it's up to the people to want to better themselves.

Besides, why not spend tax dollars on the Jets? I know it sounds increbibly stupid, somewhat ingnorant, and very pompous. But this is a fact: the top 20% of earners contribute 80% of the taxes collected in this country. Yes, the NHL is a sport where only the "well off" could afford season tickets ... but hell, all tax revenue is their money anyway. Why not throw them a bone every once and awhile? Do the rich have to subsidize the poor ALL THE TIME???
Yes, those rich people are in need of some financial help or something to do. I feel bad for them, all that money even after taxes. My I don't think I could handle it. We need more programs to help the rich.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 2:02 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Yes, those rich people are in need of some financial help or something to do. I feel bad for them, all that money even after taxes. My I don't think I could handle it. We need more programs to help the rich.
Hey how about a hockey team?? That should keep those rich out of trouble.

Honestly guys .. this is just politics. Don't take any of it seriously. They'd promise you anything if they thought it would win them the election.

Stick to the only issue worth following .. which party will build the strongest economy in the future?

If the economy reaches a high enough level, Winnipeg will recieve its reward of another NHL team (JETS pt2) ... as well as a rapid transit system. Before you can expect to cash in a bountiful harvest .. you must plant the seeds of growth.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, all that money from the rich because they're smart and have done something with their lives has to subsidize your a$$ so you can have a decent quality of live.

As usual, instead of appreciating wealth in our society, small minded idiots can only think of themselves.

What an ignorant comment.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 6:50 PM
BANNED

^^ Are you saying middle class and poor people work less hard ?

Are you kidding me ? Talk about small minded.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:13 PM

There was a Freepress poll asking "Do you think any political party can bring back a NHL team?"

Over 1700 people voted.
8% said Yes
92% said No (including me)

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 11:26 PM

^That's a good showing for a poll. Honestly, that's what its come to in Winnipeg? Their promising an NHL team? They haven't thrown in an Ikea as well have they (possibly another increase to PST?)

The comments about not getting an NHL team in its current form - I totally agree with. It was mentioned in the second or third game of NJ/Ott that it was the FIRST sellout of the year...second round playoffs. Only the Canadian teams are doing better.

Hold out Winnipeg - the NHL needs you more than you need it.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 12:25 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Hugh McFadyen is on prime time sports tonight to talk about bringing back the Jets.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 3:42 AM

Quote:

Obviously, if not working harder, they're working smarter ... either way, they're contributing 80% of tax revenues collected ... so you have a good life because they're smarter than you are.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 3:47 AM
Capitalist

Quote:

There is less people living in poverty today than 10 years ago, due to the expansion of wealth. Its not only about working hard, its about properly utilizing capital, which flows through the economy.

The fact is the people with wealth use capital (not just money) to try to take avantage of economic opportunities.

My question is should people who utilize there capital, which has a positive impact on the overall economy, be looked down to by the people who rely on a strong economy for there income?

That's ridiculous. It should be incouraged, not discouraged.. and if it is deemed that an NHL team makes the city more attractive to live and invest in, it should be at least investigated. Thats really all thats been said by the politicians.. and once the election is over it will all become a forgotten promise.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 4:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Obviously, if not working harder, they're working smarter ... either way, they're contributing 80% of tax revenues collected ... so you have a good life because they're smarter than you are.
Who says that I am not in that category ?

The fact is they are RICH,period. The other fact is where one ends up is life has a lot to do with where they started, not just boot straps.

Regina has people with your mentality, people with big houses and cars pay to much tax.
OHHH THOSE POOR RICH !!!!

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Who says that I am not in that category ?

The fact is they are RICH,period. The other fact is where one ends up is life has a lot to do with where they started, not just boot straps.

Regina has people with your mentality, people with big houses and cars pay to much tax.
OHHH THOSE POOR RICH !!!!
They do pay too much tax when you look at it by percentage of income. Sure, they still have money left after all taxes are paid, but so does everyone. Is it fair that they pay a much larger percentage? They earned their money, why do they get to keep less of it?

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
They do pay too much tax when you look at it by percentage of income. Sure, they still have money left after all taxes are paid, but so does everyone. Is it fair that they pay a much larger percentage? They earned their money, why do they get to keep less of it?
Oh, c'mon now. They complain about it but they have more disposable income then most have in income, at all.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 4:55 AM
Honored Member

After reading some of the news on this at JetsOwner.com, this seems more and more to me like a political play by the PC's to gain votes. There's only so much the public sector can do before breaking the popularity of the idea. The NHL's return will have to come on the backs of private investment, not the taxpayer.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 6:55 PM

^^^Yup.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 12:25 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
After reading some of the news on this at JetsOwner.com, this seems more and more to me like a political play by the PC's to gain votes. There's only so much the public sector can do before breaking the popularity of the idea. The NHL's return will have to come on the backs of private investment, not the taxpayer.
The government can be helpful in some ways... such as adjusting the taxation on a team .. the amount of crown corp sponsorship .. and even supporting the necessary arena expansion. This could be paid for through expanded VLT revenues or lotto funds.

Yes it will require a major private investment, but that will be much easier if there is a commitment from the government to make it as attractive as possible.

Old Posted May 24, 2007, 2:44 AM

Jim Balsillie is at it again.

After a failed bid to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins, sources tell TSN the co-chief and executive officer of Research In Motion has an agreement in place to purchase the Nashville Predators.

The transaction is subject to league approval and that may take some time – sources suggest weeks as opposed to days – and it remains to be seen whether that approval will be granted.

Balsillie's proposed deal to purchase the Penguins fell apart in large part because of conditions set by the NHL. That was because the NHL believed strongly in Pittsburgh as an NHL market and did not want Balsillie buying and moving the team. It's no secret Balsillie would like to put a second NHL franchise in southern Ontario, either in Hamilton or the Kitchener-Waterloo region. Whether the league would look more favorably on a relocating of the Predators remains to be seen, but serious questions about the long-term viability of the Nashville market have been raised this season.

Current Predators owner Craig Leipold met with the NHL's executive committee on Wednesday to advise them of the agreement to sell the team to Balsillie. He then informed Predators employees of the pending sale. Leipold is expected to address the media Thursday afternoon in Nashville.

For the moment, neither Balsillie nor the Nashville Predators are prepared to comment. Nashville media outlets are reporting a news conference is scheduled for Thursday.

Not PC nor at this time Winnipeg related but I thought I'd post this in here.

Needless to say, it is interesting....

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 5:58 AM
I am a typical

I've packed up Only The Lonely with a couple bottles of wine and a one way ticket to Waterloo. Wish him luck!!

Old Posted May 25, 2007, 11:07 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I've packed up Only The Lonely with a couple bottles of wine and a one way ticket to Waterloo. Wish him luck!!
Best of luck!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan