HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 2:37 AM
Honored Member

PC's leader vows to bring NHL back to Winnipeg

I have this question to ask: Do you think politicizing this issue will hurt or help the Return Of The Jets campaign??

PCs would bring back Jets

Updated at 11:08 AM

By Mia Rabson

WAYNE GLOWACKI/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
Conservative leader Hugh McFadyen (right), with former Winnipeg Jets captain Thomas Steen, said today if you vote for the Tories they'll bring the Jets back to Winnipeg.

Tory Leader Hugh McFadyen issued the flashiest election promise of the campaign Monday, pledging the Winnipeg Jets will be back on home ice by 2011.
With the backdrop of the MTS Centre ice behind him, and former Jets' captain Thomas Steen standing by in a team jersey, McFadyen said bringing back the NHL will instill excitement and energy into this city that will help keep young people at home.

"Young Manitobans want us, expect us to do everything in our power to bring back the Winnipeg Jets," said McFadyen.

He then made it No. 3 on his list of five things "Hugh will do" if elected.

"We're gonna get it done," he said.

McFadyen said he "absolutely" believes having an NHL team in Winnipeg would be enough to convince a young person not to take a six-figure job in Alberta.
He would not say how much public money he'd be willing to put on the table to buy an NHL franchise or ensure the team stays out of financial trouble, saying only the private sector would have to put up most of the cash.

More at: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-4573062c.html

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:23 AM
the first stamp is free

I dunno. I think at the end of the day - the people who really have the power to bring the NHL back to Winnipeg are certainly not politicians...

Having a government in favour is great - but certainly won't turn the tide. That being said, I'd bet ANY government in power in Manitoba would be in favour of bringing back the NHL - simply for the politiking.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:30 AM

I don't know where I read this (likely here somewhere) that PST may go up 1% to help support a NHL team. Maybe Gary Doer.

Having absolute no interest in hockey or the NHL I'm against it.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:33 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

light a fire under the richardsons yeesh
or maybe leo lehoski is guna build a hocky arena now instead of a football stadium

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:46 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I posted this earlier in Winnipeg construction, but will add my comment here for continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely
I hope the Jets come back, but quite honestly it scares me to think that our leaders would rather have some 'pie in the sky' conversation about hockey than debate the real economic issues that are keeping us back.

It's not like there's nothing to talk about..
-Rent Controls
-Payroll tax
-Having the highest PST of any prairie province
-A total lack of business access to investment capital since the fall of Crocus.
-Suburban sprawl and civic stagnation
-The fact that we bleed young and talented people to almost every other province in the country

For fucks sakes guy's, c'mon already. This town and province could be so much more. Save the Jet's musings for Randy Turner and focus on the job at hand.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:49 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
light a fire under the richardsons yeesh
or maybe leo lehoski is guna build a hocky arena now instead of a football stadium
Why would the Richardsons, the Aspers or anybody else voluntarily elect to bleed millions of dollars so that so that a few guys from the Transcona yards have a place to drink beer and see a pro game once a year?

The truth is hockey barely works in Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, and Vancouver.

For that matter even traditional hockey markets are struggling. I've seen Blackhawks games that averaged between 9,000 - 12,000 during the regular season, and this is the birthplace of professional hockey.

St.Louis, although a truly terrible team drew only 5,000 at some of their games.

The NHL needs to get their act together first.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
I have this question to ask: Do you think politicizing this issue will hurt or help the Return Of The Jets campaign??
I don't see it helping or hurting, at least not much.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 4:29 AM

It's such a silly, desperate promise. It's laughable, really.

I wonder what Filmon thinks of all this - when McFadyen was right there beside him when the team disappeared in the first place.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 5:26 AM
BANNED

Tories are that desperate, eh ?

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 11:03 AM
BANNED

F*ck off with the Jets--if there is ANY new sort of tax, it better go towards rapid transit/or a fund to be used to provide properly-planned, affordable housing throughout the city/infill housing, credits for downtown beautification, etc. If a government is going to spend money, I want to see the entire population benefit; not just some sad hockey fans. Winnipeg, when it had the Jets, was no better than it is now: slow growth in all areas (population, economic, etc).

Then again, a reduction in the PST would be better, hehe

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 11:58 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diva View Post
F*ck off with the Jets--if there is ANY new sort of tax, it better go towards rapid transit/or a fund to be used to provide properly-planned, affordable housing throughout the city/infill housing, credits for downtown beautification, etc. If a government is going to spend money, I want to see the entire population benefit; not just some sad hockey fans. Winnipeg, when it had the Jets, was no better than it is now: slow growth in all areas (population, economic, etc).

THE GOVERNMENT ISN'T GOING TO PAY FOR ANY OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And as long as your tax dollars aren't going towards it, then what the fuck is it to you?? There's no proposals on the board for any tax money to go towards it. There are a lot of people who want the Jets back. They'll spend their own money on the games. Why the fuck does is piss you naysayers off so much that other people will want to spend their money on what THEY want?? If Joe Hockey from Transcona wants to spend a couple thou on a season ticket fot the Jets, then let him do it. Don't piss and moan about how bad you think it's gonna effect everyone.

Man, it's just like talking to the idiots against gay marriage here in the States. If other people are doing it and aren't hurting anyone, then leave them the fuck alone.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:11 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I dunno about that..

I love the Jets, it was definitely a status symbol for the city having them around.

However, I have yet to find a Canadian team save for maybe the Maple Leaf or the Canadiens that doesn't get by without some form of government subsidy.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:35 PM
BANNED

Smiley, shut the hell up, and focus your energy on Fawgo...don't you dare come in here and insinuate your pathetic little fan-boy attitude, or so help me, I will drive down there and smack u into next week. Got it?

BTW, Smiley, from Hugh McFadyen (PC leader trying to be Premier)

"The private sector would have to lead the way to bringing a team to the city, but a Tory government would act as a partner and contribute public money to the effort", he said.

Last edited by The Diva; May 8, 2007 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 1:45 PM
Movin' on up

Man, you guys have no idea how bad this stunt is making the province and the city look. The media is just eating this up out here, and you know what, I don't blame them.

It is now official, there are no real contenders for premier of Manitoba.

May the Lord help us all.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Man, you guys have no idea how bad this stunt is making the province and the city look. The media is just eating this up out here, and you know what, I don't blame them.

It is now official, there are no real contenders for premier of Manitoba.

May the Lord help us all.
First...... I like to say Diva's comeback line was awesome! Second.... your right Albertaboy....... Don't know what to think anymore about all of this election stuff.........

Last edited by Alva360; May 8, 2007 at 3:59 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Alva you are so sweet...hehe

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:13 PM

Quote:

WHERE THE HELL DID HUGH PROMISE TO SPEND TAX DOLLARS?????

Yeah, I'm sure rapid transit will really encourage people to move to Manitoba. I can see it now "Move to Friendly Manitoba, we have bus rapid transit ... but it doesn't really matter, cause you're only 20 mins from downtown anyways".

Affordable housing? Gov't should spend money on this in WINNIPEG?? Don't we already have the most affordable housing in all of Canada? We have entire neighborhoods (the north end, point douglas, centennial, elmwood) where anyone can buy a 1500 sq ft. house for less than 100K! We're talking $500 per month in mortgage payments!

Sorry to hear you need big brother to help you with buying a 100K house.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:27 PM
BANNED

Read the reply I posted...in bold, the quote is there.

Regarding the affordable housing, yes, I agree we have so much, but the fact is we also have a high Aboriginal population with a low income; we can either maintain the status quo (a massive inventory of bombed-out houses in the north end), or we can help lower-income people purchase their own homes. I hate the fact that Winnipeg seems to be dominated by the poor...it really seems that way...BUT, we need to accept the reality, because not doing this is what caused us to be in this situation in the first place....

We also need to change the way we develop affordable housing in that we cannot build it all in the north end anymore, or around Central Park...it needs to be imbued into housing projects around the city to prevent ghettos.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 6:44 PM

^^^Dude, you don't know how bad I want a pro hockey team back here. However..... Diva makes some pretty valid points. Like I said in one of the other threads if it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.

This whole debate/announcement made by the Tories is no different to what's already been discussed/announced in the past. We all know support is here to try and bring one back. Even Darren Ford said it himself, he would rather keep things under wrap rather then have it go all political. This created a lot of exposure once again which is good but we all know this topic debate needs to be dealt with the big guns (investors and business men etc. which we have here) There the ones with the deep pockets.

It will happen. I have a gut feeling it will happen. It's just a matter of time. We don't need the Tories to tell us they'll support the return if we elect them for government. They want votes? they better start focusing on other major issues in the province prior to thinking of promoting this return campaign.............

BTW..... This was meant for jimsabo21, not you Diva..... I was a bit slow on the post.

Last edited by Alva360; May 8, 2007 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Read the reply I posted...in bold, the quote is there.

Regarding the affordable housing, yes, I agree we have so much, but the fact is we also have a high Aboriginal population with a low income; we can either maintain the status quo (a massive inventory of bombed-out houses in the north end), or we can help lower-income people purchase their own homes. I hate the fact that Winnipeg seems to be dominated by the poor...it really seems that way...BUT, we need to accept the reality, because not doing this is what caused us to be in this situation in the first place....

We also need to change the way we develop affordable housing in that we cannot build it all in the north end anymore, or around Central Park...it needs to be imbued into housing projects around the city to prevent ghettos.
How exactly will Gov't do this? Buy houses at market value in River Heights and give them to a low income family at a discounted price in exchange for "sweat equity"? This never works on mass scale. Habitat for humanity is one family at a time. It would take 1000 years to help the 40,000 or so Winnipeggers living in poverty.

I hate to sound harsh, but poverty is a fact of life. In fact, the poorest in Canada are still 10,000% better than 90% of the world. We provide free health care, social assistance, employment insurance, free public education, free post secondary enducation for aboriginal status, free job training seminars, free ESL for immagrants, legal aid, etc, etc, etc ...

At some point, you have to draw the line on social programs, it's a battle that you just can't win. Provide the tools, then it's up to the people to want to better themselves.

Besides, why not spend tax dollars on the Jets? I know it sounds increbibly stupid, somewhat ingnorant, and very pompous. But this is a fact: the top 20% of earners contribute 80% of the taxes collected in this country. Yes, the NHL is a sport where only the "well off" could afford season tickets ... but hell, all tax revenue is their money anyway. Why not throw them a bone every once and awhile? Do the rich have to subsidize the poor ALL THE TIME???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan