HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Choose your mall
Garden City 1 2.04%
City Place 0 0%
Polo Park 21 42.86%
Grant Park 5 10.20%
Portage Place 5 10.20%
St.Vital Centre 16 32.65%
Kildonan Place 1 2.04%
Unicity 0 0%
Winnipeg Square 0 0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
The street. The Bay.

There are, however, a couple of stores at both Portage Place and Polo Park that I'll go to. It's never to walk around.

I don't think I've been to any of the other publicly-subsidized Unicity "regional centres" (KP, Garden City, St. Vital) in years.
I understand your mission, and respect it greatly. However, your mind set, and means of living an urban life are the exception in Winnipeg, and not the rule. Nonetheless, good for your for helping to support a much more urban lifestyle.

...With that said, I love shopping malls. The bigger the better. Seriously.

Smiley Boy ...WEST ACRES ...I've been thinking about that mall for YEARS. It is almost a carbon copy of St.Vital Centre in some ways.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 9:05 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
I understand your mission, and respect it greatly. However, your mind set, and means of living an urban life are the exception in Winnipeg, and not the rule.
Really?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 10:02 PM

...I'm not sure if your questioning my respect, or the fact itself, or whether you are just being sarcastic (internet and it's lack of expression ). Anyways, I will answer all 3 just to cover all fronts.

I very much do respect your missions (as per what you have said on these forums). I think it's very admirable. If Winnipeg had 2 of you, it would be 10 times better off. I don't mean to kiss ass, just telling you what I think from what very little I know.

Maybe it is the St. Vital in me talking, but I don't know a single person, who, no word of a lie, avoids the mall(s). This is not to say that everyone I talk to loves the malls, but certainly choose them over a street-shop ...for example in the exchange. I personally enjoy the indoor malls. Winnipeg is cold, and certainly dreary in the winter. They offer something to do at a comfortable temperature. It keeps the teens safe to some extent (although, I don't believe in molly-coddling the youth by any means). They may be urbanity's anti-christ, but from a social perspective, I think they have a lot to offer, certainly more so in a winter climate.

If you are being sarcastic, then yes, I guess Winnipeg is the soccer-mom's sanctuary.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 10:16 PM
Density and complexity

I was being sarcastic. I apologize for the confusion.

Believe me, I know exactly what you're saying, and I know the majority of Winnipeg residents will continue to prefer malls and power centres over window-shopping on commercial streets, regardless of how popular and revitalized they became. I don't think I said anything (in this thread) that condemned people for that. You just asked what people's favorite malls were, and I replied honestly (and in vain attempts at being clever) that I personally prefer shopping on the city's semi-vibrant commercial streets, or at The Bay downtown over any of the shopping malls listed in your poll.

Out of the options provided, I'd say I like Polo Park the best, simply by virtue of the fact that Club Monaco is the only place in the city I can find decent, affordable men's wear.

Last edited by rgalston; May 2, 2007 at 10:23 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 10:51 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mango View Post
Grant Park and City Place/Portage Place. But I grew up way out in Crestview and Headingley, so I miss Unicity too.
Hey.. I grew up in Crestview as well!!

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 12:15 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Hey.. I grew up in Crestview as well!!
There are a few of us here...or at least two of us.

JTCI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
Maybe it is the St. Vital in me talking, but I don't know a single person, who, no word of a lie, avoids the mall(s).
You should come to a WUI meeting.

Hey JimJ I saw you on your bike near Balmoral Hall this afternoon.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 12:50 AM

Polo Park... maybe I'm partial to it. I like it compared to St. Vital because it is two floors... and just seems more massive because of the high glass ceilings.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 1:19 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
Polo Park... maybe I'm partial to it. I like it compared to St. Vital because it is two floors... and just seems more massive because of the high glass ceilings.
Iagree about the two floors ... it makes getting around much easier in a two story mall, compared to a single floor. I remember when they added the second floor .. it was a big deal. Polo Park was losing out to the newer Unicity Fashion Centre, so they doubled it and made it the premier mall.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 1:47 AM

Wait till you see how good it looks after the reno's are done. There are new lights going up in all the glass ceilings. It will look pretty sweet.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 2:20 AM

Polo Park is my first choice but I can always rely on St.Vital if I can't find the right size at Polo. Plus Polo Park's Bay location has some apparel exclusives that their other two locations don't offer.

But I believe sometimes Polo Park doesn't try hard enough to get new retailers, I know Winnipeg isn't a retailers first market choice but how does Halifax get a Banana Republic before Winnipeg, Banana's prices are comparable to Guess? and Club Monaco.

Thank goodness someone is trying to get H&M to open in the Polo Park area, good for Polo and for Winnipeg.

It's good to see Polo Park finally renovating because those washrooms were getting sketchy.

Hopefully by the time Asper opens up his retail complex, retailers like Apple, Sephora, Banana Republic and others will decide to open up shop in Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 3:04 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mango View Post
There are a few of us here...or at least two of us.

JTCI?

You should come to a WUI meeting.

Hey JimJ I saw you on your bike near Balmoral Hall this afternoon.
Yeah, I was returning from a daytrip to Grant Park mall to see McNally's. They had Death and Life of American Cities which I skimmed through reading part of why short blocks are better than longer ones, and another book on restoring old photos.

It was kind of chilly out even though the temp. was +15 and the humidity was 35%, SSE winds. My hands were so cold holding the handlebars, I was putting my hands in my pants pockets to keep warm.

It was more like April weather than May-like. Not the greatest stroller weather.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 9:59 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Garden City. I remember before the renovations, the place was alive and kicking, with their old oversized chess pieces that the people played there everyday. Since Eaton's closed, the place just doesn't seem the same as it used to. Now that Shopper's moved out to the old Canadian Tire location, the place is just getting more... ghetto.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 10:51 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
Wait till you see how good it looks after the reno's are done. There are new lights going up in all the glass ceilings. It will look pretty sweet.
AWSOME!!! .. I can't wait!

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 11:48 AM

I know it's not a mall, but I just went to the Bay in Winnipeg for the first time. It's rare to see a Bay that's still open in a downtown location! I think both Saskatoon and Regina have lost theirs if I am not mistaken. I really liked the period features of this building such as the doors and the outdoor signage. It could use a bit of a restoration though, inside and out.

I think the reason why the Bay in Winnipeg is floundering is that it's on a block that has no other vitality and life to it. If it were to have an active retail and entertainment complement such as what you see in the area where the Bay in Calgary is located, then the Bay in Winnipeg would thrive! I think that the food floor in Winnipeg's Bay is a bonus! Play it up and make it really fashionable! Right now it looks like a thrift store in that dark lonley basement!

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 6:57 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I know it's not a mall, but I just went to the Bay in Winnipeg for the first time. It's rare to see a Bay that's still open in a downtown location! I think both Saskatoon and Regina have lost theirs if I am not mistaken. I really liked the period features of this building such as the doors and the outdoor signage. It could use a bit of a restoration though, inside and out.

I think the reason why the Bay in Winnipeg is floundering is that it's on a block that has no other vitality and life to it. If it were to have an active retail and entertainment complement such as what you see in the area where the Bay in Calgary is located, then the Bay in Winnipeg would thrive! I think that the food floor in Winnipeg's Bay is a bonus! Play it up and make it really fashionable! Right now it looks like a thrift store in that dark lonley basement!
Yeah, and the cafeteria decor in both Winnipeg Paddlewheel Restaurant and Vancouver's Granville Room are miles better than the one in Calgary.

The reason why The Bay downtown is floundering is because of schmucks like these hanging around on the street:

Why did it take so long for that diabetic Native panhandler with the walker and missing teeth to be moved away from the Graham entrance of the Bay? He was scaring the regular people from going in there.

Last edited by LilZebra; May 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 9:27 PM
Movin' on up

St. Vital needs a second floor to add retail. I think both St. Vital and Polo Park have so much potential to attract big name high fasion retail to the city instead of just bargain-bin stores that are invading Winnipeg like the plague. If Portage Place and the surrounding area would clean up their acts, perhaps they would also have similar potential as St. Vital and Polo Park.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 9:36 PM

Not that I am in the know, but I would argue that the Kenaston Power Centre was/is a huge detracting force amongst likely many others of putting a second floor on St.Vital Centre. With that said however, the city is expanding southward, and St.Vital, retail wise is very hot. Not Polo Park hot, but certainly in the upper echelon. One would then imagine that a second floor is certainly worth discussion. Certainly St.Vital Centre cannot add anything else to their parking lot, with Earls, Old Navy and Montana's occupying most of what space was left. Maybe it's time for a bold plan to build parkades and a second story? I for one would be thrilled. I believe in urbanity, but I also believe strongly in catering to the populace. A suburban super centre wont be detailed in positive language in any textbook, but it would get approval in the public. Always an interesting issue.

Old Posted May 5, 2007, 11:58 PM

Most of the apparel shops on Kenaston are outlet stores, great finds/prices on clothing from two seasons ago, nothing to write home about. Polo Park and St.Vital have nothing to worry about.

Anyone know who's opening up shop across the street at Kenaston Commons?

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 12:17 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
Most of the apparel shops on Kenaston are outlet stores, great finds/prices on clothing from two seasons ago, nothing to write home about. Polo Park and St.Vital have nothing to worry about.

My money is on IKEA

Old Posted May 6, 2007, 12:20 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post

More likely for Winnipeg, a Dollarama supercentre

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan