HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:50 AM
A long time gone

Post Winnipeg hot for gay tourism

Winnipeg is listed as one of the top canadian spots for gay tourism, with Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton...
http://www.planetout.com/travel/arti...vpath=/travel/

Winnipeg
Winnipeg was an early 20th-century boomtown, with 27 rail lines, 300 electric streetcars and the largest commodities market on the continent. Stately banks, warehouses, and vintage skyscrapers sprouted proudly on the prairie, earning Manitoba's capital the accolade "The Chicago of the North." Then came the fall: World War I withered Winnipeg's remarkable bloom, and for decades the Exchange District sat neglected, making the city an architecturally outstanding ghost town.

The once shy, quirky loner of the prairies no longer skulks in the shadow of its glory days -- or of faster-paced, more fashionable Canadian cities. This appealing city of more than 700,000 flaunts its talent, and those blocks of faded nobility now buzz with a vital hum, making it the center of one of Canada's most vibrant arts scenes. Declared a National Historic Site in 1997, the Exchange, one of Winnipeg's two gay-popular neighborhoods, along with Osborne Village, contains approximately 150 Chicago School-style buildings.

Writer Arnold Edinborough claims that "Canada has never been a melting pot; more like a tossed salad." Nowhere is this mix more apparent than in Winnipeg. Its distinct flavors emanate from its French-Canadian, Jewish, Ukrainian, Icelandic, Mennonite, and Filipino influences, and from being home to the largest native population of any city in Canada.

Although it only offers three gay-specific venues, the city carries some serious gay credentials. In 1998, Winnipeg became the first major North American city to elect an out gay mayor, Glen Murray. Local filmmaker Guy Maddin's homoerotica-imbued epics and rising gay director Noam Gonick of "Stryker" and "Hey, Happy!" fame cause serious celluloid splashes. The Forks, a trading destination for 6,000 years and currently a shopping hot spot, is the future site of the Human Rights Museum, opening in 2010.

A prairie revival has taken place. Exuding quiet confidence, Winnipeg has slowly but surely stepped into the spotlight.

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:42 AM
I am a typical

Edmonton?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 6:30 AM
Wow, only I have a face?

I think Canada in general is a great destination for gay tourists. You recognize the immense buying power of a vast community with proportionately higher disposable income than the average 2-adult-2-child family. Good for you. I know I'll be north of the border in the coming years for a vacay.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 9:17 PM
urbanYVR.com

i think this is fabulous news.

seriously, winnipeg is so gay. i mean, what other city has a giant naked boy made out of gold atop their legislature?

and in comparision to larger cities, the gay bar scene here is surprisingly good.
the dating scene is another story...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:38 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc2mb View Post

seriously, winnipeg is so gay. i mean, what other city has a giant naked boy made out of gold atop their legislature?

and in comparision to larger cities, the gay bar scene here is surprisingly good.
I don't think thats what France had in mind when they gifted that remarkable piece of art. Its not gay .. its European.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 4:51 AM

Quote:

i couldn't agree with you more (especially on the dating scene remark ha)! for example, i was at desire this saturday night and some guy from ottawa started to dance with my group of friends and i. i asked him how he liked the winnipeg scene from what he experienced so far and he said it was a lot better than he was expecting. this past year i've checked out toronto, minneapolis and calgary's gay scenes and despite not having a "gay district" really, we're doing just fine in comparaison. we just need a more upperclass, loungey-type place as a substitue to gios/desire/club 2scary and we'll be set!

-jeff

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:06 PM
BANNED

Our only so-called "gay district" is Osborne Village. I would like my area to become one. Inundate Spence with a few hundred gays and Lesbians and H-U-L-L-O, instant gentrification.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:47 PM
urbanYVR.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
i couldn't agree with you more (especially on the dating scene remark ha)! for example, i was at desire this saturday night and some guy from ottawa started to dance with my group of friends and i. i asked him how he liked the winnipeg scene from what he experienced so far and he said it was a lot better than he was expecting. this past year i've checked out toronto, minneapolis and calgary's gay scenes and despite not having a "gay district" really, we're doing just fine in comparaison. we just need a more upperclass, loungey-type place as a substitue to gios/desire/club 2scary and we'll be set!

-jeff
"2scary" never fails to make me laugh.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 1:49 PM
urbanYVR.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I don't think thats what France had in mind when they gifted that remarkable piece of art. Its not gay .. its European.
lol.. it's pretty hard to tell the difference between gay and European!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 5:08 PM

Quote:
lol.. it's pretty hard to tell the difference between gay and European!

That's an insult to gay people.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
-jeff
A guy I know is re-opening the old Happenings club - working on renos right now. BUT it's not intended as a gay-only club. As he puts it, whoever comes, comes (no pun intended, I'm sure.) They blew out the old dividing wall to create a larger dance space, and the lower level in the building will be transformed into a chill-out lounge.
Reason I bring it up is that was the best dance spot in the city for many years - I hope it can be a good spot again

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 5:27 PM
Architecture enthusiast

They were all pretty standard tourguide schlocky writeups. Tour guide books all seem a bit incestuous and copy from each other. When did Happenings close? What gay bars are there in Wpg now? Still club 2000?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 5:38 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
That's an insult to gay people.
what's up? a random Joe from Denver bashing europeans?

I assure you manitobans would be looked at as gay in many european countries after the 10th "thanks" or "sorry".

-------------

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_dude View Post
A guy I know is re-opening the old Happenings club - working on renos right now. BUT it's not intended as a gay-only club. As he puts it, whoever comes, comes (no pun intended, I'm sure.) They blew out the old dividing wall to create a larger dance space, and the lower level in the building will be transformed into a chill-out lounge.
Reason I bring it up is that was the best dance spot in the city for many years - I hope it can be a good spot again
i was never quite old enough to have ever made it to happenings, but the stories i heard of that place make it seem like a place out of legends hahaha. i did go there once for private party after it closed and was shocked at how much of a dump the place was/is with the legendary back room full of folded up tables and chairs (i only went back there out of curiosity ). either way, i'm sure the new and improved happenings will be gladly accepted back into the scene as it seems people are tiring of the status quo and EVERYONE still seems to say, "happenings was always better!" it's good to hear it's being re-incarnated.

as for the gay bars in winnipeg, taller better, there's desire (most mainstream of the clubs), gios and ~shudder~ club 200.. some canadinn bars on certain nights can fill in as a gay bar sometimes too as is the case for the TYC on thursdays lots of the time.

and who was saying that there's a new bar going in on portage across from the mts centre? with that metronitelife opening on garry, it seems the bar district downtown is swinging west and south now...

-jeff

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Just cruise the downtown Y--you will get more action there. Good times in the Steam room, I--uh, where was I???

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 2:41 PM
Movin' on up

Edmonton is in the top five, if that means anything.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 6:42 PM
A long time gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Edmonton is in the top five, if that means anything.
maybe it means a lot to you... speak the truth, isn't this the reason why you moved to Edmonton?

-------------

Old Posted Apr 12, 2007, 7:24 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy View Post
maybe it means a lot to you... speak the truth, isn't this the reason why you moved to Edmonton?
Let's put it this way; I'm Catholic and I like GIRLS. Does that answer your question?

All I did was add my 2 cents.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 1:37 AM
I am a typical

Every Canadian city has catholic girls, though.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 2:53 AM
Coasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Every Canadian city has catholic girls, though.
.....and every Canadian city has gay people (at least all the cities I've been to)!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan