HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 3:10 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I believe Burton Cummings made a significant donation to keep the theater open and available for smaller concerts and shows, including rising local acts. It was also thought his name would help promote the venue.
I am pretty sure he didn't make a cash donation per se - he just agreed to do annual benefit concerts there to help raise money.

And I believe he is slightly behind on his benefit concert tab currently too.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 4:25 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am pretty sure he didn't make a cash donation per se - he just agreed to do annual benefit concerts there to help raise money.

And I believe he is slightly behind on his benefit concert tab currently too.
Okay ... the end result was he helped keep the theater alive.

Good on him I say.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 7:00 AM

But Burton lives in LA....did anyone else see his name appeared 3 times in that list??

Anyhow - some of those on the list are pretty weak actually (though, I am guilty of occasionally watching Falcon Beach just to see the lake :-)

My favourite McNally is actually on Stephen Ave in Calgary...and I'd replace Doc Walker with the Watchmen (music is so personal though).

I'll add in Salisbury House, cruising on Sunday nights in the summer (never seen this anywhere else in Canada), and the month of April.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
But Burton lives in LA....did anyone else see his name appeared 3 times in that list??

Actually, although Burton maintains a home in Los Angeles, he lives in Winnipeg again. Initially he bought a home in the north end a few houses down the street from where he grew up. However, shortly after The Guess Who regrouped in 2000 to tour again, he bought a home on Park Boulevard where he still lives.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
Actually, although Burton maintains a home in Los Angeles, he lives in Winnipeg again. Initially he bought a home in the north end a few houses down the street from where he grew up. However, shortly after The Guess Who regrouped in 2000 to tour again, he bought a home on Park Boulevard where he still lives.
Okay, well, good...he can help keep his Salisbury Houses going :-)

I guess my point is, it's a little overkill for Winnipegers to dwell on Burton. I'm surprised the list didn't mention Monty at all.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 7:56 PM

Where's River City Sports in that list, the biggest and best sports store in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 12:27 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Quote:
I'm surprised the list didn't mention Monty at all.
Hall?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 3:07 AM
Capitalist

Quote:

Anyhow - some of those on the list are pretty weak actually (though, I am guilty of occasionally watching Falcon Beach just to see the lake :-)

My favourite McNally is actually on Stephen Ave in Calgary...and I'd replace Doc Walker with the Watchmen (music is so personal though).

I'll add in Salisbury House, cruising on Sunday nights in the summer (never seen this anywhere else in Canada), and the month of April.
I saw Burton shopping at A&B on Pembina on a few occations... he still keeps residents in the peg.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 3:09 AM

^Yes, it's one of those Winnipeg bragging-about-itself trivia facts I recall from growing up there...the other one that I heard even a couple years ago when I returned as a "tourist" to the Peg for a project was the "Grand Beach on Playboy's top ten best beaches list" ;-)

River City sports - that's on Henderson, correct?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 3:23 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
^Yes, it's one of those Winnipeg bragging-about-itself trivia facts I recall from growing up there...the other one that I heard even a couple years ago when I returned as a "tourist" to the Peg for a project was the "Grand Beach on Playboy's top ten best beaches list" ;-)

River City sports - that's on Henderson, correct?

The fact is that Alberta always wants to brag about itself all the time on how "great and spectacular" it is, why shouldn't Winnipeg have some of these for itself, aswell?

Last edited by Greco Roman; Mar 8, 2007 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 4:27 AM

It's main location is on Henderson, but it has expanded to Dakota and St.James. And yes, it is the quintessential sports apparel and accessories stoore in Canada.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 4:56 PM

^I've been in the one on Henderson (during Flames playoff run)...and I didn't think it was all that special...what makes it the "quintessential sports apparel" store in "Canada"?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
The fact is that Alberta always wants to brag about itself all the time on how "great and spectacular" it is, why shouldn't Winnipeg have some of these for itself, aswell?
Well...Alberta does get a lot of attention. And I don't dispute that Winnipeg can brag for itself - but it can likely find something more current, and updated then a few of the items in the list.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:13 PM

Don't quote me verbatim on this, but I do believe they have inroads to the core clients or manufacturers of certain athletic apparel. For example, River City Sports, as far as I know, outside of the existing CFL franchises in terms of their stores (take Bomber Store for example), is the only company that can get product on the same day the franchises receive it. Thus, there is no delay. On site customization is something they do, and is actually quite rare acmongst specialty sporting good store retailers. Most ship away. Heck, even places like "Bomber Store" ship away their custom ordered stitching. They only do the screen press at location. For anything you wish to order that they don't stock, things that you, for as best as I know, can't get your hands on anywhere else in the praries, they can have it shipped to you mighty fast (not sure if that applies to anybody outside of Winnipeg, as it has to be picked up at location). My working knowledge of River City Sports admittedly is not the greatest, but from an arms-length, through the grapevine means, I would rank it at or near the top. Certainly light years ahead of places like Jersey City ...Centre 1 Sports (is that what it is in Toronto?) is great, but doesn't carry the wide range of stuff River City does. For example, we're talking everything from throwback Isaih Rider T-Wolves - East Bay Funk Dunk stuff, to Mike Weir at Augusta National, to Roger Federer at Arthur Ashe Stadium ...you can get a piece of it all there.

This is all not to say that nothing on par exists, but at least from my travels and as an avid sports fan, what I hear from sports fans across the country via the internet, River City Sports has a glistening reputation.

Hopefully that answers your question. If not, I apologize.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:58 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

That list is pretty weak. There are items that are hardly worth bragging about.

It is also filled with way too many musicians, DJs, bars and comedy clubs IMO. Seriously folks. Every city has a good pub, or a funny DJ. 80% of this list just proves that Winnipeg has something like every other city has too... there is little there that is unique.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
Hopefully that answers your question. If not, I apologize.
Yes...thanks for the explanation. I should admit that I was only there to get a Flames jersey (as I was stuck in the Peg with a project...and everyone in Calgary was sold out...of course, they were as well). I am also not a huge football (U.S/Canada style) fan, so wouldn't have noticed the CFL stuff either.

I'd also add the undisputed best steak restaurant in Western Canada (and in my travels, best in the west period - incl the US)...529 Wellington. I look forward to going back!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 10:18 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

it's a piss poor list okay.....
we should start making stuff up.... and when outof-towners come looking for it, change the subject and say we're not allowed tell you how to get there....

i'll get the ball rolling....

"beavers - the best damned strip club in western canada, beer is free, and the women are fabulous"

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 11:18 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
it's a piss poor list okay.....
we should start making stuff up.... and when outof-towners come looking for it, change the subject and say we're not allowed tell you how to get there....

i'll get the ball rolling....

"beavers - the best damned strip club in western canada, beer is free, and the women are fabulous"
Geez, if you like that you'll really enjoy the barely legal sex acts they have down at Chubbie's . The things some of those girls can do with a ferret, i'm telling you...yeesh.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 5:49 AM
Capitalist

Oh .. well don't forget all those amazing street parties that put Mardi Gras to shame, where are the girls show there racks .. but not for beads, but for a nice friendly hug.

It isn't friendly Manitoba for nothing!!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
It's main location is on Henderson, but it has expanded to Dakota and St.James. And yes, it is the quintessential sports apparel and accessories stoore in Canada.
They should serioulsy consider expansion into Alberta... We've got fuckall out here except shithole 500sq/ft Jersey Citys' polluting our malls. I usually stock up on team apparel when I'm stateside.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan