HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 10:20 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
One begins to wonder about the education system in Manitoba...

There. You've made your low-blow judgement on all Manitoban's. Feel better now?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 11:12 PM

***UPDATE***

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2007

EDITORIALS / PAGE A18

(On the left side of the paper)

Reasons goes on holiday
Writer ?

Premier Gary Doer jumped the gun by declaring that Manitoba would follow Saskatchewan’s lead and declare a February holiday.
The idea might have merit, it might be good for Manitobans and their economy – or not. Who knows? Certainly not Premier Doer who abandoned even a promised consultation process in a mad, election-year dash to get ahead of the parade – in particular the parade of leaders on the opposition side. In so doing he might have made some easy friends, but he outraged the business community, which rightly charges he acted in bad faith by breaking a promise to consult.
Study and consultation were the right things to do, the responsible things to do – the things that would have shown that Mr. Doer, better than holiday-happy Tory Leader Hugh Fadyen, appreciates the importance of business in a manufacturing province that is struggling to keep up. He could have honoured, as Liberal Leader Jon Gerrad has not, the pact business and labour reached to give significant time-off concessions to labour, but not a February holiday. He could have defended the integrity of the labour-business agreement from the understandable but capricious demands on Manitobans suffering through a cold snap. He could, as his government had promised 24 hours earlier, have began negotiations and allowed the holiday fever cool down as weather warmed up.
But the head of government for all Manitobans also is a leader of a political party. As such, Mr. Doer is frantically juggling possible election dates, desperately seeking the one most advantageous to continue to be premier despite a record of mediocrity on crucial files like the economic health of the province. The possibility that the most portentous date might come sooner than later obviously turned his head, as did the calculation that business would not be happy even talking about more holidays. So what did he have to lose by acting in bad faith other than his credibility?
And so Manitoba, which already depends on federal handouts to pay 37 per cent of it’s bills, a proportion that has increased steadily under Mr. Doer’s leadership, will get a holiday at a cost to the economy of perhaps $155 million – no one really knows, there was no time to work out the cost in the frenzy. Investors who might be looking at Manitoba despite its high taxes, its shrinking labour force, its Quixote policies and dependence, must now also consider a shorter work year and a government that will overnight sell business out for a few votes.
And so business gets shoddy treatment from Mr. Doer, but so, too, does every Manitoban who expects their premier to act responsibly, to look beyond the moment and to weigh more than his personal ambitions in deciding what’s best for a province that’s keeps slipping further and further back in the pack.
As premier, Mr. Doer remains a good, public-sector union negotiator – he leaves nothing on the table, even when cupboard is bare. Manitobans deserve better from their premier.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

WINNIPEG SUN
FEBRUARY 10, 2007

Screws can turn easier if an election looms

By TOM BRODBECK

Now that was a quick turnaround.

I told you Tuesday the Doer government would stand up sometime in the next 90 days and announce a new statutory holiday for Manitoba in February.

It was an easy prediction, knowing we're going into an election and that Premier Gary Doer's two main opponents -- Tory Leader Hugh McFadyen and Liberal boss Jon Gerrard -- were solidly behind the proposed holiday.

However, we didn't have to wait 90 days, or even 90 hours.

Two days after my prediction the Doer government confirmed the holiday.

And all of this is thanks to the folks at 92 CITI FM, who spearheaded the campaign and drove it to its logical conclusion.

Kudos to them.

The moral of the story is if you want something done at the government level, do it during the weeks and months leading up to an election and get the opposition parties on board first.

There's no time like election time to get politicians off their duffs.

If this were a year ago or even a year from now, it's doubtful we would be talking about a new holiday in February for Manitobans.

Chalk this one up to the power of the ballot box.

---

Seems some New Democrats didn't like my reference to Gary Doer's lieutenants as "monkeys" this past week.

I wrote that Doer or one of his monkeys would announce a new stat holiday for Manitoba within the next 90 days.

Some folks thought that was a disrespectful way to refer to any elected official. They even want me to apologize.

Those same New Democrats may want to check the language of their own boss, Gary Doer, before they start calling the kettle black.

Doer referred to Hugh McFadyen as a "monkey" just last week at the NDP annual convention (I believe he also called Tories "knuckle-draggers," just for the name-calling record). Oops.

In fact, it's not the first time Doer has referred to elected officials as monkeys.

While he was opposition leader, he regularly referred to former premier Gary Filmon's cabinet ministers as monkeys.

After Filmon shuffled his cabinet, Doer would complain that Filmon is still the organ grinder and that he just shuffled his monkeys around. I was just stealing a line out of Doer's own playbook.

I'll make a deal with the aggrieved New Democrats out there. You get your boss Gary Doer to apologize to Filmon's former cabinet ministers and to McFadyen for calling them monkeys, and I'll apologize for calling Doer's lieutenants monkeys.

Deal?

---

Downtown Winnipeg will be crawling with some 2,000 new Manitoba Hydro employees when the Crown corporation moves into its new digs on Portage Avenue sometime during the next year. It's going to be great for downtown.

But it won't come without a price for ratepayers.

Turns out, Manitobans are going to have to subsidize the cost of parking for these 2,000 employees to the tune of more than $1 million a year.

Hydro officials have confirmed each employee will be eligible for a new transportation subsidy of about $53 a month, or $636 a year.

They can put it toward their parking costs or use it to subsidize a bus pass.

That's a cost to ratepayers of nearly $1.3 million a year.

The deal is written in stone, too.

Hydro employees negotiated it into their collective agreement.

Can a similar deal for all other provincial government employees who work downtown -- including Manitoba Public Insurance staff -- be far behind?

By the way, I believe Hydro has filed for another rate increase this year.

-----------------------

Quote:
I'm still wondering where this SPP forum is. SSP is a wonderful place and all, but lets take a look at this SPP forum
Everyone makes mistakes. No reason to be sarcastic it. Makes you look immature, since you clearly knew what I meant.

This is a thread about "Politics" not "Spelling" or "Grammer."

If you have things to say about the spelling errors, keep it to yourself. Thank you.

Last edited by Brokenhead; Feb 11, 2007 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 1:42 AM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenhead View Post

This is a thread about "Politics" not "Spelling" or "Grammer."
I hope the political party that wins the up and coming election invests some serious dough into Education so grammer can learn some grammar.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 3:35 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Stop making fun of Winnipegese.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 4:33 AM

Quote:
I hope the political party that wins the up and coming election invests some serious dough into Education so grammer can learn some grammar.
I beleive Manitoba spends a fare portion of the GDP on education.

I just make one typo, and you presume every Manitoban is bad at spelling. 1ajs is the one who makes the most typos, and he also started a lot of threads. So talk to him. (Sorry 1ajs, were cool )

So, feepa. Why are you even in a thread about the coming Manitoba election making fun of spelling when you live in Edmonton? If you want to say something, just send me a private message, instead of posting it on here.

-----------------------------

For who was also was wondering "forumers" isn't a word that shows up in most dictionaries, but is a word commonly used in forums.

Last edited by Brokenhead; Feb 11, 2007 at 5:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 5:48 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
So, feepa. Why are you even in a thread about the coming Manitoba election making fun of spelling when you live in Edmonton? If you want to say something, just send me a private message, instead of posting it on here.

It's not the first time someone has been Chastised for a spelling mistake, and unfortunately it won't be the last That's just the way some people are around here.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 5:49 AM

Who thinks a party should make a promise of adopting Manitoba a new flag?

Manitoba to left, Ontario to right. Hard to tell when small, or at a far distance.

Also Manitoba's and Ontario's were voted the worst flags of Canada and the United States by some flag committee.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 8:14 AM
I am a typical

But they're great flags! Mantario is the only clusterfuck that still has the red ensign!

"It's not the first time someone has been Chastised for a spelling mistake, and unfortunately it won't be the last That's just the way some people are around here."

Ignore Feepa. He just does that to bug people. He is frustrated with Edmonton's being overshadowed by Calgary and having a high murder rate and a giant useless mall.

Besides, going by his logic, one would have to assume that everyone in Northern Ontario is completely literate and almost never makes an err in spelling or grammar.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
But they're great flags! Mantario is the only clusterfuck that still has the red ensign!

"It's not the first time someone has been Chastised for a spelling mistake, and unfortunately it won't be the last That's just the way some people are around here."

Ignore Feepa. He just does that to bug people. He is frustrated with Edmonton's being overshadowed by Calgary and having a high murder rate and a giant useless mall.

Besides, going by his logic, one would have to assume that everyone in Northern Ontario is completely literate and almost never makes an err in spelling or grammar.
All it comes down to is how people see the flags. For example I see our flag and Ontario's as boring and unattractive. While you you seem to like the red ensign. It's just peoples views.

Thanks for the support about the spelling.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 5:10 PM

The NDP are that likely to win? What are the main policies of the PC Manitoba party?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 10:03 PM
I am a typical

Actually I don't really like the Red Ensign, it is boring, but I was just trying to point out that it isn't that common as you think, and it kind of hints at the past between Manitoba and Ontario.

I think TBays flag, slightly modified, would make a great provincial flag.

Isn't it purdy?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 10:15 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Actually I don't really like the Red Ensign, it is boring, but I was just trying to point out that it isn't that common as you think, and it kind of hints at the past between Manitoba and Ontario.

I think TBays flag, slightly modified, would make a great provincial flag.

Isn't it purdy?
whose mom sewed that one up?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 10:31 PM
I am a typical

It was actually a 60 year old guy that came up with the design, just after amalgamation.

The gold represents mineral wealth, the green represents natural beauty, blue represents the lake and the maple leaf represents Canada. It's very clever!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 11:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Who thinks a party should make a promise of adopting Manitoba a new flag?

Manitoba to left, Ontario to right. Hard to tell when small, or at a far distance.

Also Manitoba's and Ontario's were voted the worst flags of Canada and the United States by some flag committee.
¿awww whats wrong with our flag? i can see the difrence between the flags......

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 11:46 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo909 View Post
The NDP are that likely to win? What are the main policies of the PC Manitoba party?
They´re all a joke so your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don´t.......

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo909 View Post
It combines into NDP's policies a lot. Aren't really sure what they, maybe, to win ... ? and don't do anything else until the next election.

The Green Party has some interesting policies, but some of them I find off the wall.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 4:35 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
¿awww whats wrong with our flag? i can see the difrence between the flags......
It would be nice if we had an original flag, but not if it were to be a spirited energy design. That would be a disaster.. and therefore wouldn't want the change at all.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 5:31 AM

That's the currently elected seats:

NDP - 35
PC - 20
LIBERAL - 2

*Other partys' don't have any seats.

As you can see, the NDP as a huge majority already. The Liberals are really no threat. But it is possible people would vote differently. Just have to wait to see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Main Partys' Logos (from Wikipedia):

NDP

PC

Liberals

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 6:38 PM

hahahahaahahhaah

What an abortion.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 6:40 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

hahahahaahahhaah

What an abortion.
I agree thats a bad logo ... infact very bad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan