HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:05 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygunn View Post
When I was going to school I worked at the Wendy's on Henderson as a supervisor. At that time all Wendy's in Winnipeg were corporate owned. The Henderson location was never a huge money maker, but being corporate owned it didn't matter as much. They made enough that to contribute to the regional sales, so head office didn't really worry too much.

Around 1997 or 1998 the Winnipeg restaurants were bought by a franchisee. I think that was beginning of the end for Wendy's in Winnipeg. The push went for more profit, which meant all the stores started to slide in quality and the buildings were not being as well maintained.

Sad to see them go, but I am not too surprised.

The one on Pembina seems to be pretty dead most of the time; I bet it'll go too.

Tyler

I wonder why sales at the Henderson Wendy's were so mediocre?

I found the dining ambiance of that restaurant to be far superior to either of the McDicks on Henderson. I especially liked the glass veranda and am sad to see it go.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:19 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
Hmmm, that is right by where I live. There is also apparently some little place on 16th Ave. near Deerfoot Tr. (starts with a P I believe) that too have fabulous burgers and shakes. Gonna have to try them all and then go on a sever diet.
Pete's Drive-In. Regarded as one of Canada's best fast foods or something.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:20 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked rain View Post
You guys don't need a Krispy Kreme - that craze is over and Tim Hortons won the donut wars. How the Krispy Kreme in Calgary even remains open is a mystery to me, there never seems to be any customers or cars in the lot.
Lack of staff trimms operating costs a bit, y'know.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:21 AM
Calgarian

^^ Peter's Drive Inn reputation is purely hype

^^^ I didn't know Wendy's had 'ambience'.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:23 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooked rain View Post
^^ Peter's Drive Inn reputation is purely hype

^^^ I didn't know Wendy's had 'ambience'.
I think so. This is especially true given the fact that Wendy's never had a 'playland' or any of the nuthouse hysteria associated with Rotten Ronnie's.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 3:23 AM
Movin' on up

Well, I'll try em' both, and see if they surpass the quality that I have come to love from Junior's and Burger Factory

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 3:28 AM
Majestic

Blasphemers! Peter's is great.

I still cry over the loss of all the Red Robins here in Calgary... have to go to Edmonton to get any...

Flickr

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 4:52 AM
Honored Member

I went to a Red Robin in Plymouth, MN (Minneapolis suburb). Their burgers are OUTSTANDING. And actually, Red Robin is rapidly expanding their operations all over the US and Canada. They even have a new series of TV commercials here in the States. I would expect Winnipeg, Fargo, Sioux Falls, etc. to all have Red Robins very soon.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 4:54 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I don't like Red Robins - they abuse the texmex hotness in almost all their dishes to the point where its just simply annoying. I hate texmex!

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I wonder why sales at the Henderson Wendy's were so mediocre?

I found the dining ambiance of that restaurant to be far superior to either of the McDicks on Henderson. I especially liked the glass veranda and am sad to see it go.
They got a pretty decent lunch rush, but the evenings were normally pretty dead.. Late night drive through had its busy moments, but was touch and go. I think sales dropped when they went non-smoking and the seniors in the block next door started going to Timmies for coffee and a snack.

I agree, that was one of the nicer Wendy's. When it was corporate owned it was held to a VERY high standard; it was even a regional training store. Once it got taken over the franchisees didn't want to spend money on the little things that made a difference, like maintaining the landscaping and building.

Tyler

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 12:24 PM
BANNED

Pete's in Calgary has pretty good burgers--not worth the hype though. Its milkshakes are yummy, and the fries are super. There was a little dive of a place in Bowness..Angels???? Their burgers rocked. Not sure if it is still there....

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 3:06 PM

Albertaboy - I agree with the others saying there is absolutely nothing special about Peter's drive inn...the only people I know that think it's great are the people born and raised in Calgary (Boris, is that you? ;-).

Try it, but just don't be surprised.

If you want to seriously try one of the best burgers in the city, go to Buchanan's on 3rd Ave downtown - ground Sirloin. Not fast food, but the best burger in the city.

However, I do miss BDI and Half-moon...I'll be returning there when I get to Winnipeg in the summer.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 6:06 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Albertaboy - I agree with the others saying there is absolutely nothing special about Peter's drive inn...the only people I know that think it's great are the people born and raised in Calgary (Boris, is that you? ;-)
Nope, I was born in Edmonton and raised (mostly) in Calgary.

It's not so much the Burgers that you go to Peter's for. Its much more the feeling of the place (it really is cool in an old-fashioned kind of way) and the milkshakes. The burgers look, and taste, like a burger should.

Kinda like how food somehow tastes better at Football games, even though you know it's not any different than what you get in the grocery store. Or maybe that's just me.

Flickr

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 6:09 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Albertaboy - I agree with the others saying there is absolutely nothing special about Peter's drive inn...the only people I know that think it's great are the people born and raised in Calgary (Boris, is that you? ;-).

Try it, but just don't be surprised.

If you want to seriously try one of the best burgers in the city, go to Buchanan's on 3rd Ave downtown - ground Sirloin. Not fast food, but the best burger in the city.

However, I do miss BDI and Half-moon...I'll be returning there when I get to Winnipeg in the summer.

Actually, I heard about Pete's from my former roomate in Edmonton (an Edmontonian born and raised). He says he loves it, so I'll try it and see.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 7:53 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:

I used to like Juniors way back...and that place on Main st.
Pete's Place?

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 9:16 PM

^No, no...vjs.

Boris - okay, close enough ;-) The "feeling" of the place I understand though...same as the "feel" for BDI or Half-moon in Winnipeg.

Yeah, my wife says the same about the milkshakes...they're not bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way for them. The burger though are absolutely plain. Even compared to Fat Burger they aren't nearly as good. Johnny Rockets was great at WEM as well, but unfortunately closed now (only in TO for Canada now).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan