HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I missed this one or just forgot about it.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/notice/pth6/index.html

Twinning of Hwy 6 at 101 with a round-about on highway 6. Moar roundabouts!
In that MIT press release, the PR mentions "New right turn cut-offs on and off PTH 101 and PTH 6".

Is a 'right turn cut-offs' a merge lane or what is that?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2022, 9:30 PM

Ya, it's just the separated right turn lanes. Sometimes called slip lanes.

Merge lanes too, but they don't necessarily need right turn cut-offs.

There are already right turn cut-offs at teh same locations, on the north/west side of the intersection.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 10:25 PM

Somewhat related to Manitoba Highways: On the way to Kenora I noticed significant ROW clearing works for phase 1 of the Transcanada Hwy/hwy 17 four laning.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Somewhat related to Manitoba Highways: On the way to Kenora I noticed significant ROW clearing works for phase 1 of the Transcanada Hwy/hwy 17 four laning.
They've been blasting at the Rush Bay Quarry to make fill for the last couple of months.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
They've been blasting at the Rush Bay Quarry to make fill for the last couple of months.
There’ll be more fill than cut? Interesting.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 4:11 PM

I don't think there's many (any?) major rock cuts on the first stretch. Once you get closer to Kenora, there's a lot more. The first stretch at the MB border is pretty short in terms of twinnings.

Last edited by bomberjet; Mar 15, 2022 at 4:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 4:16 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I don't think there's many (any?) major rock cuts on the first stretch. Once you get closer to Kenora, there's a lot more. The first stretch at the BB border is pretty short in terms of twinnings.
Fair enough. Lake of the Woods Shoreline is surprisingly rugged. I mean, it’s not as insanely rocky as Lake Superior Shore, but it’s still pretty rocky by NWO standard.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
I don't think there's many (any?) major rock cuts on the first stretch. Once you get closer to Kenora, there's a lot more. The first stretch at the MB border is pretty short in terms of twinnings.
Judging by what I saw driving through the area, it looked there will be some rock cuts, it didn't look like there were any that would be significant, none that would cause huge rock walls on the sides of the highway...

One thing to note is that the alignment looks as though it will stay relatively close to the alignment of the existing lanes.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 6:20 PM
Mooderator

Nelson River Construction is hiring for flag people for the reconstruction of 23 between 10 and 18.

(I really hate the Provincial Trunk Highway - PTH name. I don't know why, but it just makes me mad. No other province uses this. Just use HWY or route or something)

Last edited by harls; Mar 17, 2022 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 6:41 PM

I don't mind it. A PTH is (supposed to) be built to a higher standard than a PR. So if you didn't know what the roads are like, a PTH is a safer bet than a PR.

I suppose you could just say Hwy and still have PR, which is yet still higher than just a road.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Nelson River Construction is hiring for flag people for the reconstruction of 23 between 10 and 18.

(I really hate the Provincial Trunk Highway - PTH name. I don't know why, but it just makes me mad. No other province uses this. Just use HWY or route or something)

Good to hear. There is a huge sand and gravel pile at Junction of 18 and 23. Hopefully they'll continue west in 2023 and 2024. I drove 23 last year to Winnipeg and it was very rough all the way to Highway 5 (which is another highway that needs work)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 1:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

By the way, MTO has awarded the contract for twinning of TCH from provincial boundary to 6 km east of it. Expect delay this cottage season, I guess.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 3:58 PM

There was an article shared from Steinbach about the hwy is being twinned east of West Hawk. I already knew it was the Ontario portion but clicked the link anyways. Yup Ontario is definitely east of West Hawk I guess haha

Good news. It's a small section but at least a start. Hopefully they can carry on through with the other 2 sections to Kenora.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 6:52 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^I sure hope they carry on as well. 6kms is such a short stretch, but hopefully it’s just the start of a continuous effort to get the TCH fully twinned.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2022, 7:37 PM

Webcam of Manitoba / Ontario border. I’m not sure if this is the mb side but you can clearly see the clearing going on.

https://511on.ca/map/Cctv/701199-0-0--1

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 12:49 AM

That would be the Ontario side. Camera is at the Ontario visitor centre. They had a separate clearing contract ongoing for a while now in advance of the upcoming construction. I believe the clearing may have been through the local first nations.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 12:29 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Good to hear. There is a huge sand and gravel pile at Junction of 18 and 23. Hopefully they'll continue west in 2023 and 2024. I drove 23 last year to Winnipeg and it was very rough all the way to Highway 5 (which is another highway that needs work)
Hopefully they use the same crew that did Ninette to Killarney and use the people that did that stretch to train everyone else how to make a highway.

Also, the valley in Ninette is probably one of the few places in MB that could be a touristy drive that you could put on an official highway map. (Lariviere and number 10 north of Minto are the same). Put some damn work into the roads.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Hopefully they use the same crew that did Ninette to Killarney and use the people that did that stretch to train everyone else how to make a highway.

Also, the valley in Ninette is probably one of the few places in MB that could be a touristy drive that you could put on an official highway map. (Lariviere and number 10 north of Minto are the same). Put some damn work into the roads.
The Souris River Valley is a hidden gem for sure. When I'm not pressed for time I'll take the PR 346 from PTH 23 to PTH 2. Its a pretty drive.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 7:07 PM

Provincial news release today. Nothing really new here that I can see, just funding for previous announcements.

Quote:
April 28, 2022
PROVINCE COMMITS $1.5 BILLION TO HIGHWAY NETWORK PROJECTS
– – –
Targeted Highway Investments for Economic Growth: Piwniuk

The Manitoba government is committing $2.4 billion in infrastructure funding as part of Budget 2022, with more than $1.5 billion going toward a three-year plan focused on Manitoba’s highway network, Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Doyle Piwniuk announced today.

“Our government recognizes targeted investments in roadways and bridges are foundational to our economic growth and the quality of life for all Manitobans,” said Piwniuk. “Advancing our highway network will enable market access for international, interprovincial and regional movement of goods, and will position our province to become a national transportation hub.”

The three-year plan to invest $1.5 billion is an approved budget and has an annual commitment of at least $500 million focused on highway capital. The minister noted the province plans to invest nearly $233 million in projects identified in the trade and commerce strategy, and had outlined a number of Perimeter Highway projects totalling over $346 million over the next three years.

Key initiatives include:

The Manitoba Trade and Commerce Grid to upgrade provincial highway networks to allow heavier loads on provincial highways to support the shipments of goods and services across markets. Once completed, the grid of strategic routes would represent 36.5 per cent (7,112 kilometres) of Manitoba’s all-weather provincial road network, with 6,000 km of the grid already completed. The three-year plan will also include projects on Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH) 5, 21, 59 and 83.

The Winnipeg One Million Perimeter Highway Freeway Initiative to allow for a full access-controlled freeway standard to create a safe and more efficient Perimeter Highway for residential, commercial and industrial growth in Winnipeg and surrounding communities. Projects part of the freeway initiative also include the construction of a new interchange at the Perimeter Highway and St. Mary’s Road, and the design and initial phases of a second new interchange at the perimeter and McGillivray Boulevard to support safe, efficient and free-flowing traffic access.

“We are very happy to see the three-year capital program for highways, bridges and water-control structures,” said Chris Lorenc, president, Manitoba Heavy Construction Association. “When industry can plan ahead, the province gets the best value for its annual budgets. The multi-year budgets and increasing investment levels are a strong sign the provincial government and Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure recognize the critical role transportation infrastructure plays in economic growth.”

Investments in long-term infrastructure goals and strategies have been initiated to not only increase safety and sustainability across the province but to build the foundation of Manitoba’s economic growth, noted the minister.

The Manitoba Multi-Year Highways Investment Strategy can be found at: www.gov.mb.ca/mit/myhis/index.html.

- 30 -

For more information:

Public information, contact Manitoba Government Inquiry: 1-866-626-4862 or 204-945-3744.
Media requests for general information, contact Communications and Engagement: newsroom@gov.mb.ca.
Media requests for ministerial comment, contact Communications and Stakeholder Relations: 204-451-7109.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 7:45 PM

I feel like the premier announced the same thing a few weeks ago.

Edit: Ya.

Quote:
https://www.chrisd.ca/2022/04/13/pro...source=twitter

Province has 3 year spending plan on Infrastructure. Including the 2 interchanges on 101.

These type of statements get me though.

“For the first time in our province’s history, a three-year capital plan is introduced to address key priorities to strengthen, invest and build on the province’s infrastructure,” said Piwniuk.

Ya this happens like every single year man.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan