HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 6:43 PM

we'll have a partial here so may just do something at home. Last one I used the tree shadows. Would have been nice to get away but a new job cuts into that.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2024, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I would hope this is an attempt at satire.

Same, any kid that is unsupervised on the internet has already seen or already searches out much more offensive content the a WWF Wrestler extending his middle finger.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 12:15 PM

I might actually end up watching it from somewhere in Norfolk, getting an extra 45 seconds of totality vs Hamilton. It's my buddy's birthday on the Sunday, so I'm just gonna stay there and take Monday off.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 12:35 PM

Out of the country unfortunately, which is especially bad because we own a small property in Frontenac County, right in the middle of the path of totality.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 1:26 PM

Two fun-filled days in Louise Penny country.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:31 AM

Whether that is or is not the case is irrelevant, keep that middle finger snash off this thread.

You wanna tell me to shutup about Taylor Swift go ahead but not on this thread cause this Eclipse is a special event.

Looking like Montreal will have the best weather prospects, kinda figured it would.

QUOTE=TorontoDrew;10176015]Same, any kid that is unsupervised on the internet has already seen or already searches out much more offensive content the a WWF Wrestler extending his middle finger.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by northernlights99; Apr 5, 2024 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 2:11 AM

Looks like the sky might be cloudy in Niagara Falls. Clear blue sky in Montreal, and a mix of sun and clouds in between. I may have to head east, but let’s see. The forecast can still change.

Last edited by le calmar; Apr 4, 2024 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:00 PM

"Then you flew your lear jet up to Nova Scotia*
To see the total eclipse of the sun
" *New Brunswick (close enough)

Video Link

https://twitter.com/MurphTWN/status/1775851566131552611

Last edited by q12; Apr 4, 2024 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:17 PM

I hope those who booked hotels have free cancellation up to 24 hours prior in the event that it will be cloudy. Unless they're just going to do some other activities in whatever region they're heading to. Unless they paid a big premium then might not be worth staying if they can't see the eclipse.

Would be a huge letdown for hotel owners though.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 12:39 PM

I mean looking at the forecast for monday in Hamilton, Weather Network is still saying "mostly sunny". I'm still hopeful

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 1:09 PM

Weather in New Brunswick is looking great for Monday, so that should be good. (Even as it's snowing as I speak right now )

I see Woodstock, NB has posted some road closure plans to try and manage traffic. They're basically dead centre under the path of totality and all the hotels are booked solid.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 2:40 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I hope those who booked hotels have free cancellation up to 24 hours prior in the event that it will be cloudy. Unless they're just going to do some other activities in whatever region they're heading to. Unless they paid a big premium then might not be worth staying if they can't see the eclipse.

Would be a huge letdown for hotel owners though.
I've heard of people booking hotels in Niagara Falls over a year ago, only to have them cancelled weeks before April 8. Slimy hotels looking to jack up their prices to take advantage.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 3:51 PM

Yeah it is not looking good here at all for Monday, which is pretty predictable. I won't leave the city just to experience it getting dark at 5pm, that's what we have December and January for.

EDIT: Some forecast models are actually trending towards clearing skies mid-day Monday for areas of totality, maybe it is possible afterall.

Last edited by Marty_Mcfly; Apr 4, 2024 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:06 PM

A mix of sun and clouds is probably not a huge deal, but I’m not sure I want to risk ruining the experience if the predicted cloud cover is, let’s say over 30%. It takes just one big cloud in front of the sun to ruin things. Unless the said clouds are thin enough and the sun is visible through them. NWS are supposed to release their daily prediction soon so we’ll see if things have changed.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 5:21 PM

Latest NWS forecast. If things hold, it looks like Brockville, Prescott or Cornwall would be good options for clear blue skies. Belleville and Kingston might be fine too, although a little bit more borderline. Things are more risky further west.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 4:19 PM

If anyone is interested, here’s the latest NWS forecast. That’s a fair bit of clouds beside extreme SWO and Southern Quebec (and NB, sorry didn’t really notice it was showing on the map) but the cloud cover may be reasonably thin and the sun may remain unobstructed in some locations. Personally I wouldn’t risk it and will go to some place where it’s expected to be below 30%.

Last edited by le calmar; Apr 7, 2024 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 4:36 PM

In the news this weekend were articles about serious enthusiasts who had bookings in Texas or Mexico who are cancelling to go to Sherbrooke or Mégantic instead.

Very sunny day expected tomorrow -- well except for some three and a half minutes, it will be sunny.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 5:02 PM
New Brunswick booster!

The Saint John Rver Valley from Grand Falls to Fredericton will be in the path of totality. Clear sky's expected! We want you all to come and spend...I mean enjoy!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 8:43 PM

Still looking like a 50/50 for Central NL tomorrow. I'll bite the bullet and head out hoping for the best, but it's still looking unclear. There are some safer bet areas that should be nice and clear, but they are way too far to drive from St. John's.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 9:37 PM
recession proof

Ideally, I would like to be somewhere between Compton and Coaticook, probably pulled over in a farmer's field by Compton Station or Georgeville Wharf further west.

I have another Quebec trip planned this year, focusing on the Northshore/Saint Jerome to Mont Tremblant National Park and Shawinigan areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada