HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
When I dined at the Keg on February 1st, I was told that they (The Keg) would be taking the Legros & Motti space and that Kelsey's was the contender for the current Keg space.
That's kinda lame. They can do better than Kelsey's. If they want to open a Cara franchise, open a Bier Markt. That would be way more interesting!

http://www.thebiermarkt.com/

Ron.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 3:11 PM

I think Kelsey's would be a nice addition to the city. It is a family oriented restaurant, much like Swiss Chalet and Montanna's, and these have been very successful in the metro region. Not sure how Milestones is doing given that it is more high end (more expensive) given the recent fate of other higher end establishments such as Bianca's and Legeos and Motti. Also, I see in the council minutes that Boston Pizza is moving ahead on Water Street. Construction, although at a seemingly slow pace, is progressing down there. Should be a nice addition though! Better than the empty space that occupied that location for the past few years!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I think Kelsey's would be a nice addition to the city. It is a family oriented restaurant, much like Swiss Chalet and Montanna's, and these have been very successful in the metro region. Not sure how Milestones is doing given that it is more high end (more expensive) given the recent fate of other higher end establishments such as Bianca's and Legeos and Motti. Also, I see in the council minutes that Boston Pizza is moving ahead on Water Street. Construction, although at a seemingly slow pace, is progressing down there. Should be a nice addition though! Better than the empty space that occupied that location for the past few years!
Nothing says welcome to historic Water Street like a Boston Pizza!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 1:37 PM

I have no problem with a Boston Pizza occupying and otherwise vacant and rundown old storefront that was becoming an eyesore on our historic street. Whether you like Boston Pizza or not, it will probably bring people into the area, and create some more jobs for young people.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 2:16 PM

I'm not okay with Kelseys; don't we have enough of the same type of restaurant? We're talking prime real estate here, Kelsey's might be better suited to an uptown power centre.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 2:44 PM

Anyone have any idea what will occupy the restaurant space in 351 that looks out to Harbour Drive?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I have no problem with a Boston Pizza occupying and otherwise vacant and rundown old storefront that was becoming an eyesore on our historic street. Whether you like Boston Pizza or not, it will probably bring people into the area, and create some more jobs for young people.
Agreed!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 8:29 PM

I haven't heard anything but someone on here mentioned that maybe thats where Legros and Motti is going. Is there any activity at that site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Anyone have any idea what will occupy the restaurant space in 351 that looks out to Harbour Drive?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:10 AM

Nothing happening at the site....or any of the other available retail spots at 351. Such a shame.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Nothing happening at the site....or any of the other available retail spots at 351. Such a shame.
351 Water needs a Starbucks. Not in that restaurant space but on Water St. With the office staff and JAG only a few feet away, not to mention the Convention Center when it reopens, it would be a prime spot of SB.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 3:45 PM

It's never gonna be an easy sell to get retail tenants to open on Water Street. Unless you have lots of money to burn, National chains are only going to want to go into either shopping malls or big box parks where they know they will get a lot more traffic. You are just not going to get that downtown with parking being such an issue. And it will always be an issue too unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 12:25 PM

I just heard that Cora's won't be without it's second location for very long. It seems they will be setting up shop on Hebron Way.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 5:23 PM

Who am I to question Cora’s business model but I don’t see the rationale for leaving Atlantic Place for Hebron Way. Okay, so I would imagine the rent will be cheaper but I would think that the market would be better downtown. I know, they are on Kenmount Rd. as well.
Where would they be going on Hebron Way? There is a small space behind Starbucks and another space up in the Browne’s Auto / Wing ‘n it building and maybe space in one of the other office buildings. Time will tell I s’pose.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 5:35 PM

I've never enjoyed Cora's.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Who am I to question Cora’s business model but I don’t see the rationale for leaving Atlantic Place for Hebron Way. Okay, so I would imagine the rent will be cheaper but I would think that the market would be better downtown. I know, they are on Kenmount Rd. as well.
Where would they be going on Hebron Way? There is a small space behind Starbucks and another space up in the Browne’s Auto / Wing ‘n it building and maybe space in one of the other office buildings. Time will tell I s’pose.
I guess downtown has a lot of competition now, combined with a higher rent makes it difficult to produce large profits.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 7:25 PM

Truth is, is that Cora's in Atlantic Place was only really busy on the weekends. During the week day no one was going there for breakfast. Everyone that is downtown during the weekdays are usually working downtown. Parking has a lot to do with that, plus the rent that Atlantic Place was probably charging was likely a factor too. If they go on Hebron Way there will be no issue about parking. Plus you will get all those customers that are waiting for Costco to open each morning. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 9:38 PM

http://www.vocm.com/mobile/newsartic...?mn=2&id=53033

Another week known restaurant is closing up shop in St John's. Farewell to Papas Pier 17.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 2:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
http://www.vocm.com/mobile/newsartic...?mn=2&id=53033

Another week known restaurant is closing up shop in St John's. Farewell to Papas Pier 17.
Churchill squares decline is getting a bit much. There was a time when you could live there. Now it's becoming more and more useless.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 7:56 PM

^ I haven't heard great reviews about the food at Papa's but I think it being in Churchill Square probably played a big role in it closing. I think a lot of people going out for dinner automatically think about somewhere downtown, particularly younger people. Not getting younger people in the door was highlighted by Papa's as their reason for closing.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
^ I haven't heard great reviews about the food at Papa's but I think it being in Churchill Square probably played a big role in it closing. I think a lot of people going out for dinner automatically think about somewhere downtown, particularly younger people. Not getting younger people in the door was highlighted by Papa's as their reason for closing.
I was there once and it was a pretty forgettable experience. Might have been a handy spot if you worked in or near Churchill Square but I would never have gone out of my way to go there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's