HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Capital Pointe in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Regina Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I don't know if this is it, but in the morning, there was a crew doing some changes to the advert board on the side of Bregg's.
The city's crackbook page said the street closure was related to "crane work".

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:06 PM
arf

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:17 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
The city's crackbook page said the street closure was related to "crane work".
I just saw it in passing this morning, but I believe they were using a mobile crane.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:44 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
As I asked about SkyCity:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
Where should the construction cam for this project be placed?

(I'm guessing a courtroom in Toronto.)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:19 AM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 5:28 AM

Progress Updates - Fortress Real Developments

Continental drift continues to carry the Capital Pointe site 15-25mm per year in a west south-west direction.

This provides the demonstration of progress that the City of Regina demands. It will also eventually remove the excavation site from the property, faithfully executing any order by the city to fill in the hole.

A Fortress spokesperson also points out that this part of the continent is also rising at a rate of several millimeters per year, springing back after the weight of the last ice age glaciers receded. This has made the excavation progress seem unrealistically slow.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 5:43 PM

So, March 30th has come & gone... safe to assume that Fortress has “[advised] their engineer that it intends to resume construction in April,” triggering a permit extension.

I expect we’ll now have another 18months of inactivity framed as ‘frustrating’ by the City, and ‘unexpected’ by Fortress.

Cool. Cool.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
So, March 30th has come & gone... safe to assume that Fortress has “[advised] their engineer that it intends to resume construction in April,” triggering a permit extension.

I expect we’ll now have another 18months of inactivity framed as ‘frustrating’ by the City, and ‘unexpected’ by Fortress.

Cool. Cool.
Holy CRAP. The City of Regina’s balls finally dropped... a few years later than their peers, but they dropped. And that’s what’s important.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...hole-1.4603488

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 9:39 PM
arf

^And so the long protracted legal posturing begins.

read the stuff "City orders Capital Pointe developer to fill hole" from Fortress which pretty much reads, we didn't do anything as advertised because almost everyone just winterizes their site so the city was ridiculous in expecting anything to have happened in the last six months, so we're not filling the hole because we're in "accordance with Canadian building code."

Any guesses on:
1) when the hole starts to be filled?
2) when progress on filling the hole seems to come to a stop even though it's only 10% filled?
3) when Fortress files a lawsuit against the city?

I don't believe the city has any legal foot to stand on with this right now, but I could totally be wrong.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
^And so the long protracted legal posturing begins.

read the stuff "City orders Capital Pointe developer to fill hole" from Fortress which pretty much reads, we didn't do anything as advertised because almost everyone just winterizes their site so the city was ridiculous in expecting anything to have happened in the last six months, so we're not filling the hole because we're in "accordance with Canadian building code."

Any guesses on:
1) when the hole starts to be filled?
2) when progress on filling the hole seems to come to a stop even though it's only 10% filled?
3) when Fortress files a lawsuit against the city?

I don't believe the city has any legal foot to stand on with this right now, but I could totally be wrong.
Yeah, this might make everyone feel warm and fuzzy, but it's not going to do a thing to get anything built on this site.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 11:23 PM

Since Fortress owns the property, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything else happening for some time.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 8:48 PM

Having no experience in construction I have no idea whether this is a thing or not. The following is found on Capital Pointe's website.

"In the late fall, the concrete foundation forming was stabilized for frost protection during the winter season. This engineering process was completed in accordance with Municipal requirements to ensure no movement in the formwork takes place over the winter period. Pouring of concrete foundation is scheduled for spring."

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Since Fortress owns the property, I wouldn't hold my breath on anything else happening for some time.
Any time there's a safety issue - from unsafe buildings to hoarders filling their yards with junk (creating a fire risk) - the city can step in and take action. And then bill the property owner. And then seize the property if they don't pay up.

An excavation with "temporary" walls being around for years would seem to fit the bill.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
"In the late fall, the concrete foundation forming was stabilized for frost protection during the winter season. This engineering process was completed in accordance with Municipal requirements to ensure no movement in the formwork takes place over the winter period.
Have they even finished excavating? The last I heard, they finally paid the contractor who stopped excavation work at the site last summer because he wasn't being paid.

I think the city wants to see some evidence that those claims are real, as opposed to the same claims made over the last few years.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
Having no experience in construction I have no idea whether this is a thing or not. The following is found on Capital Pointe's website.

"In the late fall, the concrete foundation forming was stabilized for frost protection during the winter season. This engineering process was completed in accordance with Municipal requirements to ensure no movement in the formwork takes place over the winter period. Pouring of concrete foundation is scheduled for spring."
I'm no expert either, but I'm quite certain foundation work for buildings of various sizes have continued in Regina (and other cities of similar climates) throughout the winter months. It is not normal to pause construction over the winter.

(and 'pause' is being generous... there's been no meaningful work done on the site in about a year. No, I don't consider moving in sea containers/building walkway to be meaningful work)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 9:30 PM
arf

If I walk by some day I'll try and take a picture in the hole. Maybe we can see if there is anything resembling a foundation form in the pit. I would be doubtful because you know, wouldn't the dirt ramp into the pit sort of block building that form?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 11:58 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
If I walk by some day I'll try and take a picture in the hole. Maybe we can see if there is anything resembling a foundation form in the pit. I would be doubtful because you know, wouldn't the dirt ramp into the pit sort of block building that form?
I walk by it daily... There isn't; it's just dirt down there.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I walk by it daily... There isn't; it's just dirt down there.
And from what I understand was never dug down to the actual depth. It's just a big effen ponzi scheme that will now be hung up in the courts for a few years.

Good times.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
And from what I understand was never dug down to the actual depth. It's just a big effen ponzi scheme that will now be hung up in the courts for a few years.

Good times.
It really is just a scheme for syndicated mortgages - there is likely no intention to ever develop the property. Even though this is a City issue, the Province needs to get some balls and step in here, they pass the laws that allow the City's to deal with this kind of development nonsense, and their laws are the reason the City can't deal with this issue in an expedited manner. The problem is they are already dealing with their own go-nowhere development (GTH) which makes it hard to come down on anyone else.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 3:48 PM

RCMP search Fortress office in mortgage fraud probe
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...e-fraud-probe/

Let's hope Jawad Rathore, Vince Petrozza, Ben Myers, and the rest of the scammers at Fortress Real spend at least a couple years in Club Fed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan