HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 5:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why do we need a freeway? whats wrong with what we have no o yea takes an hr at the wrost traffic to get around hah meh can be anoying but still thats what people get for living at the other end of town from their work

and building a freeway aint going to make much difrence its still going to get grid locked its just a fact of sprawling in 1 long coridoor

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 8:44 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake10 View Post
I always thought a freeway should go beside Pembina Highway and connect to where Sterling Lyon Parkway is now...I guess where the BRT is going. Pembina is such a slow route and it shouldn't take as long as it does to travel such short distances in this city.
Yeah, because you know, when they call it a highway in Winnipeg, it actually means a roadway with a speed limit of 60 km/h, with unsynchronized traffic lights along the way.

Nah, seriously, I like the idea. Just by looking at that long strip of land on Google Earth, it would cut travel times dramatically, whether it be a rapid transit line, or a freeway.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 4:48 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake10 View Post
I always thought a freeway should go beside Pembina Highway and connect to where Sterling Lyon Parkway is now...I guess where the BRT is going. Pembina is such a slow route and it shouldn't take as long as it does to travel such short distances in this city.
Agreed ... I would like to see Sterling Lyon Parkway link up with Pembina, and run up the railline towards downtown as well.

As Winnipeg draws closer to a million people some serious upgrades to the road system of this city needs to be upgraded. If the innercity become a nightmere to drive through, it will only lead to further sprawl as people try to escape the more traffic districts. Winnipeg isn't a little town .. and needs to have bigger vision than the 1950's.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 4:51 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
why do we need a freeway? whats wrong with what we have no o yea takes an hr at the wrost traffic to get around hah meh can be anoying but still thats what people get for living at the other end of town from their work

and building a freeway aint going to make much difrence its still going to get grid locked its just a fact of sprawling in 1 long coridoor
I never suggested a freeway, but a parkway, which would add traffic capacity to the innercity. It could have a look and feel of Charleswood Parkway, which nobody would ever discribe as a freeway. Its a 70km parkway, which greatly improved the surrounding area, as it increases the accessibilty, while decreasing conjestion.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Agreed ... I would like to see Sterling Lyon Parkway link up with Pembina, and run up the railline towards downtown as well.

As Winnipeg draws closer to a million people some serious upgrades to the road system of this city needs to be upgraded. If the innercity become a nightmere to drive through, it will only lead to further sprawl as people try to escape the more traffic districts. Winnipeg isn't a little town .. and needs to have bigger vision than the 1950's.
Well said. The "urban activists" need to remember people aren’t going to go downtown for shopping, entertainment, etc, if it’s a royal pain for most of them to get there.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 12:47 PM

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-46214312.html

Flying pigs a good sign

Flight of Boeing 777 from city shows CentrePort's potential
By: Kevin Rollason

WINNIPEG – Turns out that pigs can fly -- and they did it in style early this morning.

It was hog heaven for almost 900 pigs when they were loaded onto a nearly brand new Boeing 777 cargo jet and flown out just after midnight to fly non-stop to Germany.

It was the first time this giant cargo jet -- which only began flying for companies late last year -- had ever flown into Winnipeg.

After going the pig equivalent of first class, the breeding hogs were then to travel in a much lower class of travel -- a truck -- to a facility in Russia where they will produce more swine.

Mike Van Schepdael of Manitoba-based Genesus Inc., which produces the hogs, said the cargo jet will save time for the pigs.

"Normally what we do is we ship them, whether it's to Korea or Russia, by truck to Toronto, Chicago or Calgary so they can get on a plane there," Van Schepdael said.

"It takes close to 24 hours to truck them to Toronto and you have to feed and water them. Now we can have them fly out of Winnipeg.

"It's a lot easier for the pigs."

Van Schepdael said the company is already planning future 777 flights for shipping out hogs.

"This is good for Winnipeg," he said, noting it's cargo shipments like this that will also help the creation of CentrePort.

Earlier this month CentrePort, an inland port, was given a major boost when the federal and provincial governments announced $212 million to build a four-lane freeway to connect the airport and CentrePort land with Inkster Boulevard and the Perimeter Highway.

Geoffrey Robinson of Sea Air International in Toronto, the company which arranged for the Boeing 777 to come to Winnipeg to pick up the pigs, said the hogs will take up 10 of the 27 cargo platforms inside the plane.

"If there was a premier executive class for pigs, this is it," Robinson said.

"They'll have food and water during the flight -- everything but an inflight movie."

Christine Alongi of the Winnipeg Airports Authority confirmed that aside from a passenger 777, which touched down last year to offer tours to Air Canada and Boeing employees, no other plane of that type has landed here.

"This saves shipping days for this company," Alongi said.

"It's important for people to know Winnipeg can accommodate aircraft of this size. It's also good for CentrePort -- it shows the beauty is our geographic location."

Kelly Funke of the Manitoba Pork Council said pigs have been flown out of Winnipeg before, but in smaller planes and in fewer numbers.

"This is fairly huge and it is cool to be using such a new large plane," Funke said.

"It speaks to the quality of genetics here in Manitoba. We always believed we are head of the pack and this supports us."

kevin.rollason@freepress.mb.ca

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 2:24 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Let there be more flying pigs!!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 2:48 PM

removed.

Last edited by mad dingo; Jun 8, 2009 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 4:16 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Welcome to SSP!!

You should have a yellowish button that looks like a mountain. Click on that, then insert the image.

This is when you are posting a reply, either at the quick reply at the bottom, or when you click on the post reply button when you posted.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 4:31 PM

removed

Last edited by mad dingo; Jun 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 5:22 PM
Armchair urbanist

Ooo, so Sask Ave. is being closed at the Perimeter?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 6:03 PM

removed

Last edited by mad dingo; Jun 8, 2009 at 9:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2009, 7:30 PM
Armchair urbanist

I hope so, since the idea of an interchange is lost if there's an intersection immediately to the South of it (even though I suspect that it's the East/West traffic that's the priority here).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 2:31 AM
Heart of the Continent

Oh, there;s supposed to be something for sure. The RFQ said that there would be an overpass....maybe a flyover?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 2:39 AM
Back from the dead

It's highly unlikely the Perimeter would be left at grade at Saskatchewan.
It just makes the most sense really but among other reasons , it wouldn't be very practical or safe to align CentrePort Way so that it gets so close to Saskatchewan at the Perimeter without having two seperations. It would be redundant and probably unsafe to boot.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2009, 4:56 AM
What could go wrong?

The Perimeter will have an overpass at Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan will have no access to the Perimeter.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 3:20 PM
Mooderator

Looks like there will be an at-grade intersection at point "J" marked on that map. Looks temporary, though.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2009, 6:52 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The Perimeter will have an overpass at Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan will have no access to the Perimeter.
Yes, Saskatchewan will not intersect with the Perimeter. I heard that they were considering not having Saskatchewan cross the PHWY at all, but instead a flyover, or an underpass, or even having it turn towards the new expressway.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 1:13 AM

For such a large project I feel there has been little discussion in regards to it.
Quote:
News: Provincial tax measures effective July 1. A reduction to the fuel tax on domestic cargo flights and an extension to the full refund on international cargo flights to include direct and indirect flights to and from the United States. The purpose is to increase cargo flights to Winnipeg as part of the Centreport venture

Premier Gary Doer will be joining officials from the Winnipeg Airport Authority at a meeting in Paris with European transportation companies to promote the cargo capacity of CentrePort Canada, Winnipeg’s inland port.

NASCO June 2009 Conference: Speaking Notes from Chris Lorenc for CentrePort Canada. read pdf

Good Morning!

It is my honour to be here this morning as part of Manitoba's delegation to the NASCO 2009 Conference. I want to thank Manitoba.s Minister of Infrastructure and Transportation, the Honourable Ron Lemieux, for the kind invitation to represent our province and to the conference organizers for allowing me to be part of this panel discussion.

This marks my second opportunity to address the NASCO Conference which I have now attended for three or four successive years.

In 2008, I spoke to a caucus of mayors and addressed the results of the City of Winnipeg's Mayor's Trade Council (MTC) Report which I had the privilege of chairing. I spoke then of the possibilities of expanded trade related political and economic priorities for Winnipeg, Manitoba, Western Canada and Canada as a whole.

I am very pleased today to say that the MTC Report received not only the political support from Winnipeg Mayor Katz and Council but of Premier Doer, who is no stranger to NASCO.

Premier Doer.s leadership has fashioned a significant partnership with the federal government and has positioned Manitoba for the launch of Canada.s first inland port . CentrePort Canada.

As a member of CentrePort Canada.s founding Board of Directors, I am honoured to have this opportunity to provide you this review of our recent developments and how CentrePort Canada is planning to address the relationship between technology and security on one hand, and traffic fluidity and supply-chain efficiency on the other.

CentrePort Canada is Canada.s first inland port initiative which happens geographically to be located .in the heart of the continent. in the City of Winnipeg and its capital region area, all in the province of Manitoba.

The simple fact is that Winnipeg and its capital region have all of the trade and transportation assets which facilitate global trade and our location supports national objectives.

CentrePort Canada is an unprecedented, innovative, and unique venture connected with a well-established network of highways, railways, air, and sea connections providing better, faster, cheaper access to key markets in Canada, the United States, Mexico, and global markets.

CentrePort Canada is 20,000 acres of land adjacent to Winnipeg.s Richardson International Airport a 24-hour international airport with the highest number of daily dedicated cargo flights in Canada.

CentrePort Canada offers greenfield investment opportunities for a wide variety of sectors, including distribution centers, warehousing and manufacturing.

CentrePort Canada is built on a foundation of trade and transportation assets and these assets will grow with significant investments in transportation infrastructure and manufacturing and distribution facilities and has 'shovel-ready' property ready for development to meet business needs.

CentrePort Canada is located on the International Mid-Continent Trade and Transportation Corridor, providing ready access to major markets in the United States and Mexico via the Emerson Border . the busiest Canada/US border crossing in western Canada ($14.7 billion)i. Manitoba is also in the centre of Canada with strong east-west transportation corridors.

CentrePort Canada provides direct access to Asian markets via Canada.s Asia-Pacific Gateway. Shippers and manufacturers transport goods by road and rail to Canada's two main western seaports, Vancouver and Prince Rupert.

CentrePort Canada.s unique access to northern trade routes provides entry to European markets as well. Air shipments can be transported via polar routes through Winnipeg's Richardson International Airport.

Marine shipping opportunities are increasing through the northern deep-sea Port of Churchill and St. Lawrence Seaway and Great Lakes via Thunder Bay.

And finally, Manitoba and CentrePort Canada offer business advantages including a well-educated, highly-skilled, productive and multilingual workforce; business friendly environment, hydroelectric energy rates that are among the lowest in North America, and affordable business costs such as construction, office, and land costs.

For these reasons and many more, we are confident of CentrePort Canada's ability to exceed all expectations.

I am, as a result of the past and recent developments, very optimistic of the increasing role Manitoba will play in the dynamic growth of trade and commerce at the national, continental and global levels.

In the agenda, you will note there is a reference in the description of this session which refers to .a marked increase in trans-border traffic of goods, and the number of inland ports..

May I respectfully offer that the marked increase in Manitoba.s case is more aptly described as .remarkable. and sustained.. Proof of Manitoba.s expanding role is reflected by Manitoba.s strong sustained economic growth over the past nine years.

Allow me briefly to apprise you of Manitoba.s increasing role in the global supply chain network and how this presents challenges which the innovative application of technology can work to overcome.

It is evidenced by having the 2nd highest GDP growth in Canada for 2007 AND a forecast of the 2nd highest GDP growth in Canada for 2009.Manitoba.s strategic location as a crossroads for the North American and global movement of freight, combined with our economic development strategies have yielded results in some sectors beyond the most optimistic predictions of only a short time ago.

For example, the Canada-US border crossing at Emerson, approximately 100 kilometres south of Winnipeg, is now the second busiest international border crossing point in Western Canada and the sixth largest port of exchange between our two countries.

In 2007, two-way truck trade at Emerson totalled $14.7 billion, and an additional $3.8 billion worth of exports crossed into the U.S. from other provinces and territories. In 2007 it handled 425,000 trucks, an increase of 5,000 vehicles, and we have yet to tabulate the economic yield.

Overall Manitoba has seen a 74% growth of two-way trade at Emerson Canada - US Border in the last five years.

Our aviation infrastructure is expanding as are the rates of handling. The James Armstrong Richardson International

Airport is one the most reliable airports in the world, averaging less than 2 hours downtime annually.

It is the third busiest cargo airport in Canada and is home base to more freighter operations and dedicated cargo

handlers than any other Canadian facility.

As the only 24-hour unrestricted major Canadian airport between Toronto and Calgary it is a central Canadian

gateway airport for UPS and a major domestic hub for Purolator and Cargojet.

Between 2003 and 2008, the James Richardson International has experienced a total air cargo increase of 55%. With the new state of the art terminal slated to open next year, Manitoba considers the future growth rate of air shipments to be unlimited.

Manitoba.s emerging trade with China is another development about which we are very optimistic. Manitoba.s exports to China have increased 586% since 2002, creating significant backhaul opportunities.

Between 2002 and 2007, our total imports increased 30%; exports increased 23% and total manufacturing shipments increased by 37%.

This translates into employment, economic growth, and significant development potentials of .phenomenal. proportions. But we must consider the how this aforementioned growth impacts the planning and development of our inland port.

CentrePort Canada is being developed as a sustainable transportation and distribution gateway. Throughout the development of CentrePort Canada, as in our other transportation strategies, one of the primary objectives it to maximize efficiencies and improve logistics and supplychain processes.

From the on-board computers tracking and managing the performance of trucks and the introduction of alternative fuels, to the vast information networks tracking the contents of ships, planes and trains around the globe, technology is all pervasive.

New technology is helping us meet environmental protection standards and making the transportation footprint a much greener and eco-friendly action. The ability to empirically quantify levels of individual, corporate, or sectoral environmental impacts and mitigation measures may well prove to be beneficial in regards to potential emerging international policy on this issue.

New technology is also being applied to facilitate the efficient exchange between stakeholders needed for the daily movement of commerce.

For example, through the application of advanced sensor, secure information exchange, and communications technologies, often referred to as "smart" or "intelligent systems", there is a significant potential to make the transportation of people and goods more efficient, more reliable, safer and more environmentally friendly.

While many applications remain .works in progress., Intelligent Transportation Systems technologies must form an integral part of any inland port development strategy if we are to be more efficient in the handling of inter-jurisdictional freight movements securely and efficiently.

North America map of Inland PortsThe North American Facilitation of Transportation, Trade, Reduced Congestion and Security or .NAFTRACS. initiative seeks to illustrate how applications of trusted technology, in both the transport industry and trilateral regulatory sense, will benefit our pursuit of enhanced trade opportunities.

This recently completed tri-national pilot project enabled third-party information sharing and exchange between NASCO.s participating partners. It is hoped that the forthcoming analysis and recommendations from this pilot will support more efficient and seamless corridor traffic management, and the efficient and safe flow of commerce within and throughout the corridor.

We are also confident that NAFTRACS will demonstrate the benefits of vehicle / route management from third-party data sources to support and facilitate corridor wide advanced risk assessment and mitigation, and regional disaster preparation and response.

It is technology that will allow CentrePort Canada to handle the developing supply-chain demand and increase traffic fluidity and efficiencies without sacrificing security.

Today we must not only be concerned about the physical logistics of moving a truck, train, plane or ship between nations, we must ensure the security of all stakeholders at every step of the process. Across borders, across the planet, security is not just a trend . it is a non negotiable requirement in every aspect of our lives and industries.

For the transportation and logistics sector, it has already changed the way daily business is conducted . and this often affects the flow of commercial goods across international borders.

Tighter entry regulations, more thorough scrutiny at ports of entry often through the use of advanced methods, higher standards for the training of personnel and stricter enforcement policies are only a small part of the new global commerce reality.

CentrePort Canada is working towards the objective of creating an inland port, which despite being located 100 km away from the border, can effectively operate as if it was situated on the international border.

This will be done through the appropriate and best-practice application of a suite of technologies which can ensure, to the satisfaction of the respective federal regulatory bodies, that the security of commercial cargo is ensured in the .postport. . .pre-border. segment of travel.

Ideally, the above technologies will allow for an interface with those applications which are in use at the physical border facility to provide pre-clearance or expedited passage of the verified cargo and driver through the point of control.

To realize this objective will require collaborative work of the governments, border agencies and regulatory bodies involved, as well as the acceptance of the technologies by the commercial transport sector, ideally on the basis of a strong, proven value proposition for their bottom line.

Although these technologies exist, the major challenge is their ability to be proven to, and accepted by those who formulate border and national security policy and regulations.

We can only proceed as we have been, by working through strong partnerships such as NASCO to identify and explore each new issue or challenge as it arises and share the search for solutions in forums of this nature.

That is why I am here today as part of Manitoba.s commitment to NASCO. We believe in the global potential NASCO presents by linking and strengthening not only the exchange between Mexico, the United States and Canada, but extending that reach into the global market place.

Manitoba and CentrePort Canada understand that the role of technology is integral to the development of an inland port, to foster growth in supply-chains and to sustain the economic prominence of the transportation sector at the Provincial, National and International Corridor levels.

Much collaboration on all sides of the international borders . Canada, the United States and Mexico, and with the respective jurisdictional stakeholders, will be required to fully realize the benefit opportunities that innovative technology and security applications can offer.

This is our challenge.Our partnership has come a long way and I have every confidence that the tremendous momentum we are generating will carry us to unlimited new opportunities around the world of the 21st century.
winnipeginlandport.ca

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 4:14 AM
Capitalist

Once this puppy gets rolling it will be HUGE. It will undoubtedly become the largest economic driver this city has ever seen. It will be the only inland port in Canada during a period of massive expansion of globalized trade.

Even as the infrastructure is being developed (ie: the new airport campus) and the road and service infrastructure through Centreport is put into place momentum will start to develop. It will take time to build all aspects of this massive project, of even the firt phase, but eventually this will be a regular focus of local and national business media, as more and more large corporations set up logistical distribution centres.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan