HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 12:30 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Is this still the case in Toronto and in other places which kept their street car lines?
Not in Toronto. People aren't wandering all over the streets the way they did 100 years ago. Also I'm sure the safety standards have improved a lot.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 2:30 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Not in Toronto. People aren't wandering all over the streets the way they did 100 years ago. Also I'm sure the safety standards have improved a lot.
Do you have any idea why people were more susceptible to being hit by street cars back then?

Was it the novelty of seeing horseless transportation up close?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 2:52 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Do you have any idea why people were more susceptible to being hit by street cars back then?

Was it the novelty of seeing horseless transportation up close?
I doubt it. More that the streets were still places that people walked on in large numbers without yet being fully accustomed to looking out for rapidly moving vehicles. Also, cities were full of children, who in those days routinely wandered all over the place by themselves. Another factor might well be that the streetcars were harder to get up and down from, making it easier to slip underneath. Accidental deaths just used to be far more common: we're living in a safety-obsessed society but that is a pretty recent development.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2009, 8:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:27 AM
Starring as himself

Here's a postcard pic of Donald Street looking south from Portage, with a for sale sign on the Somerset Building (1906) lot and the Eaton's (1905) lot sitting empty at right. Presumably circa 1904. Holy Trinity Church is in the background. The white building on Smith Street at left appears to say "Palace" something but I don't know what it was.

The larger buildings at rear left are probably the Cauchon Block (Empire Hotel) and the Strathcona Apartments (later Fort Garry Court) at Broadway and Main Streets.

This one is a perennial favorite from 1914:

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 5:46 AM

handsome, indeed.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 9:25 AM

Quote:
I doubt it. More that the streets were still places that people walked on in large numbers without yet being fully accustomed to looking out for rapidly moving vehicles. Also, cities were full of children, who in those days routinely wandered all over the place by themselves. Another factor might well be that the streetcars were harder to get up and down from, making it easier to slip underneath. Accidental deaths just used to be far more common: we're living in a safety-obsessed society but that is a pretty recent development.
We're also living in a society where early death by other means is much less common and therefore much less shocking. If you're used to seeing kids dying of diphtheria, influenza, strep throat, and simple skin infections, you might not think there's much you can do about accidents. Death becomes inevitable, something that simply can't be prevented.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 11:24 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Here's a postcard pic of Donald Street looking south from Portage, with a for sale sign on the Somerset Building (1906) lot and the Eaton's (1905) lot sitting empty at right. Presumably circa 1904. Holy Trinity Church is in the background. The white building on Smith Street at left appears to say "Palace" something but I don't know what it was.
Palace Stables.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 12:15 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Palace Stables.
Excellent, thanks!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 5:27 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 5:28 PM

And front and centre, garnering the most attention, is the Eaton's department store. Contrary to what many believe, it was still a handsome building in my opinion.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2009, 12:29 AM
Starring as himself

Nice cards, Adrian. St. Stephen's is now Elim Chapel across from the U of W, if you didn't know already.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 6:30 PM
Starring as himself

Here's an even older (c. 1902?) version of the standard Portage Avenue view, which was taken from the Merchants Bank Building. I think that is the old church from the Red River Settlement days that is still standing at Portage and Garry, where the Free Press building was shortly to be built, along with the Post Office. You can see Holy Trinity and St. Mary's churches to the left in the background and the Vendome Hotel on Fort Street. There is a building sitting in the Eaton's lot down Portage. The large building behind that was the Steele Block. Off to the right in the background are Wesley College (U of W) and Isbister School.

Here, also from the Martel book, is Bannatyne Avenue west of Isabel. Most of these houses, built in 1897, are still there (the ones from 503-517 Bannatyne) -- would be interesting to see a shot of the block today if anyone has one:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 1:29 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Here's an even older (c. 1902?) version of the standard Portage Avenue view, which was taken from the Merchants Bank Building. I think that is the old church from the Red River Settlement days that is still standing at Portage and Garry, where the Free Press building was shortly to be built, along with the Post Office. You can see Holy Trinity and St. Mary's churches to the left in the background...
That must be the original Holy Trinity at Portage and Garry. If I am correct in my Winnipeg church history, that was the second oldest church building in the city, the first being Knox United on Main and Water Street. It looks as though it was converted to commercial purposes by this time.

The more I learn about church and architectural history, the more St. Mary's Cathedral is becoming one of my favorite Winnipeg buildings. Here it is c.1970

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 9:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

looking back in the thread just noticed theres a building under construction at vaungh and elice can barly see the the crane for it lol

Portage Avenue looking east 1988
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ext504/134547937/

haha dam thats a long time ago to me the trees sure have goten alot nicer since then

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adam79/3262956688/

Last edited by 1ajs; Apr 6, 2009 at 10:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 1:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
looking back in the thread just noticed theres a building under construction at vaungh and elice can barly see the the crane for it lol

Fred Douglas Place.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 3:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

is that what they cal that building?

anyhow i won a 1890's photo slide of winnipeg

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 4:37 PM
Starring as himself

Congratulations...thought I should leave one for you! You got a great price on that slide. It's better than any of the magic lantern slides I have. It should scan really nicely. Shows the building that the Union Tower replaced better than any other picture I've seen.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 4:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i was just making sure someone grabed it. cause no one was bidding

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

txs to andy6 we now have a better shot of the old hudsons bay building in its origonal forum

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan