HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:18 PM

Again, I'm of the opinion of if you don't at least try, you will never get anything. Does Winnipeg have a chance at landing Amazon? It's probably near zero.

Should Winnipeg put it's self out there, absolutely. It shows other companies that Winnipeg is serious about big business. Maybe next time something like this comes along, Winnipeg will be known as accepting of big business by offering certain concessions, whatever it may be.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 8:26 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Again, I'm of the opinion of if you don't at least try, you will never get anything. Does Winnipeg have a chance at landing Amazon? It's probably near zero.

Should Winnipeg put it's self out there, absolutely. It shows other companies that Winnipeg is serious about big business. Maybe next time something like this comes along, Winnipeg will be known as accepting of big business by offering certain concessions, whatever it may be.
I would, personally, rather see Winnipeg and Manitoba focus on bringing smaller companies and building their profile on the global market rather than focusing $ and talent on landing a pipe dream. As a city and province, we should really be more concerned about what to do if another Canadian city lands Amazon and now we're losing some of our best and brightest to another city. If Calgary were to land the HQ2, it has the potential to be quite damaging to our economy.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:22 AM

There's no way it's going anywhere west of Winnipeg. MSP doesn't even have a chance. It would be downright foolish of Amazon to locate anywhere not close to or on the east coast. Boston, Toronto, NYC, DC, Baltimore, etc. There's no chance it will end up in Calgary, Vancouver, or anywhere in the western US.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:10 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There's no way it's going anywhere west of Winnipeg. MSP doesn't even have a chance. It would be downright foolish of Amazon to locate anywhere not close to or on the east coast. Boston, Toronto, NYC, DC, Baltimore, etc. There's no chance it will end up in Calgary, Vancouver, or anywhere in the western US.
That was my original thought- one on the east coast and one on the west. But, you never know how many incentives a city might come up with to make it really attractive. I actually think MSP would be a good location for the HQ2. They would meet many of the requirements.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 6:03 PM

I think Vancouver with its tight proximity to the existing Amazon HQ and Canadian immigration laws v American immigration laws keep it in the running but it is long shot. Calgary is completely off the board unless there are absolutely stupid concessions on the table. Same with anything east of Montreal in Canada. I would also put anything in Quebec as a longer shot too due to slightly different laws in that province.

I think in the US somewhere northeast but not on the coast would be a strong contender. Seen lots of mentions of Detroit. Also seen stories that they have lots of fairly big office style buildings basically looking for tenants. Sure you are likely still putting cash in put you aren't starting from the ground and can significantly shorten your move in time. Detroit is likely to also throw out some huge concessions to turn things around in their city.

If Winnipeg is serious about landing an Amazon you need to think much smaller. Build up a culture and support system for those early start ups moving out of garages and basements and get them coming here. You might need to take a lot of swings at those balls before you hit the game winning home run but if you keep netting the small fish in the pond one of them will eventually turn into the whale you want to land.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 8:49 PM

^Agree Cory. Detroit would make a lot of sense, and they have plenty of giant, beautiful, historic office buildings that are sitting empty downtown right now. And lots is going on in downtown Detroit right now for the first time in 30 years. And yeah, the city has been doing good work to become more attractive to tech startups – I say we ramp that up.

Jammon, MSP I think is a good candidate as metro itself, if you don't factor in its location. I think Amazon will want something further east so they can quickly and easily have people fly in and out of London/Europe when needed, and be close to the Northeastern states and southern Ontario/Quebec, which is such a huge chunk of each country's population. In Canada, that covers about 1/3 of people, and the Seattle office covers another 1/3 of Canada in BC/AB.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 7:02 PM

The rail port part of Centre port is back in play.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...484874513.html

Maybe this would also kickstart rail relocation in Winnipeg, not that they necessarily have to be connected.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 8:58 PM

^ That is incredible news! Happy to see things moving forward

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:45 PM

With a 100 million rail project in Centreport and CN announcing 135 million in upgrades which includes symington yard enhancement, I think this shows these companies have strong convictions that rail relocations will not happen, or are looking to boost their payout if ever they are asked to leave

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 5:59 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The investment is for extra long track sidings to accommodate unit trains, likely due to the increase in the number of crude oil trains.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The investment is for extra long track sidings to accommodate unit trains, likely due to the increase in the number of crude oil trains.
Yeah, I'm not sure I understand the local industrial benefits from that. Most value-added products that you want going into or out of the park are going to be truck or air, or rail container. I don't really get the bulk rail - industrial park connection. Maybe it has to do more with containers but I didn't catch that in the reports.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
With a 100 million rail project in Centreport and CN announcing 135 million in upgrades which includes symington yard enhancement, I think this shows these companies have strong convictions that rail relocations will not happen, or are looking to boost their payout if ever they are asked to leave
I was referring to CN's investment in Symington yard.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2018, 6:34 PM

Ah ok

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:58 PM

CN is adding a group of tracks at Symington that fills a long standing hole in their yard. You can pick it out quite clearly in aerial photos. They have something like 80 to 100 tracks accross, with a piece in the centre missing.

They add tracks every year throughout the network. This has been planned for some time and is not necessarily related to oil trains. Just an overall increase in traffic. Are oil trains actually still increasing? There are some oil loading locations built adjacent to CN recently that are not operating.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 4:00 PM
BANNED

Not much news on the Centreport front as of late. I would have hoped good things would have sprung up by now.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:15 PM

https://www.chrisd.ca/2018/09/20/cen.../#.W6QNfU2oue8

Two Companies Expanding into New CentrePort Industrial Park

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 8:31 PM

BUSIEST CONSTRUCTION SEASON EVER AT CENTREPORT

https://www.centreportcanada.ca/uplo...1563905282.pdf

Also, that new Pea Processing facility from Burcon is going up on Route 90 and Farmer Rd.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
BUSIEST CONSTRUCTION SEASON EVER AT CENTREPORT

https://www.centreportcanada.ca/uplo...1563905282.pdf

Also, that new Pea Processing facility from Burcon is going up on Route 90 and Farmer Rd.
^ so thats officially in centreport territory then. I thought that plant was to go south of winnipeg for some reason?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
^ so thats officially in centreport territory then. I thought that plant was to go south of winnipeg for some reason?
They need a lot of water and I don't think they can get a large diameter line south of the city. There's a big 12" line that runs through Centreport now. It's almost as if the Centreport people knew industry would require large amounts of municipal water.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
They need a lot of water and I don't think they can get a large diameter line south of the city. There's a big 12" line that runs through Centreport now. It's almost as if the Centreport people knew industry would require large amounts of municipal water.
Is there actually that big of a water line running through Centreport right now? I was always under the impression that the Centreport area had bedrock/lime stone close to the surface which made it extremely difficult and expensive to service most of the area relative to other parts of the city, leading to it growing slower than originally anticipated by politicians.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan