HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 5:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
1/100K is a pretty good rate for a major city, Winnipeg has 700 000 people and 40 homicides now for example. Vancouver would be better looked at in terms of the metro area though.
Metro Winnipeg is now at about 840K and the region consisted of about a dozen separate cities until unification in 1974. 36 of the 40 Winnipeg murders that occurred in Winnipeg this year all happened in what was Winnipeg proper until 1974 which now has a population of about 200K and encompasses all of the poorest parts of the city!

So 4 murders where the other 640K Winnipeg residents live isn’t that high!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:08 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Should the shooting victim die it would be 3 in in about 2.5 months. The death of a woman found on the side of the road in CBS was in late August, and the death of the young man on Livingstone Street was early September. We're usually a little more spread out, 3 in such a short period of time is rare for here.
Oh wow. I remember missus in CBS but never heard of the Livingstone Street one - not surprised that's where it'd be, though.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Alcohol is big in Thunder Bay too. When I was in high school, quite a few kids would have a bottle of Listerine in their lockers and drink it between classes.
That's pretty messed up.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 1:22 PM

3 for St. John's. That's about the average per year for us. The RNC are usually very good at making arrests quickly in these situations, however they have made no arrests in any case this year.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Metro Winnipeg is now at about 840K and the region consisted of about a dozen separate cities until unification in 1974. 36 of the 40 Winnipeg murders that occurred in Winnipeg this year all happened in what was Winnipeg proper until 1974 which now has a population of about 200K and encompasses all of the poorest parts of the city!

So 4 murders where the other 640K Winnipeg residents live isn’t that high!
To get an even better idea as to how concentrated the crime (homicides) is in the city, 26 of the 40 homicides have been in 9 neighbourhoods that together have a combined population of about 60,000. For those that don't know the geography of Winnipeg, all of these neighbourhoods form a continuous area in the city north and west of and including downtown.

Neighbourhoods in Winnipeg by homicide rate

William Whyte 111.8/100,000 - 7 homicides
Centennial 106.0/100,000 - 3 homicides
Dufferin 88.7/100,000 - 2 homicides
Lord Selkirk Park 65.8/100,000 - 1 homicide
Spence 45.3/100,000 - 2 homicides
St. Matthews 34.7/100,000 - 2 homicides
Downtown (zoning bylaw definition) 27.2/100,000 - 4 homicides
Chalmers/Talbot-Grey 25.0/100,000 - 3 homicides
Daniel McIntyre 19.9/100,000 - 2 homicides

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:36 PM

^ Hardly shocking... show me a place where murders aren't concentrated in poor neighbourhoods. Sure murders in comfortable suburban neighbourhoods happen from time to time across the country, but they are the exception. Was someone suggesting that murders are happening regularly all over Winnipeg?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 2:55 PM

Yeah, not sure why it's worth mentioning, murders in a city are usually fairly concentrated, I certainly wouldnt expect Winnipeg to be different.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Hardly shocking... show me a place where murders aren't concentrated in poor neighbourhoods. Sure murders in comfortable suburban neighbourhoods happen from time to time across the country, but they are the exception. Was someone suggesting that murders are happening regularly all over Winnipeg?
No, no one was suggesting that. I just find when a city has higher than normal crime rates others start to believe that the ENTIRE city is dangerous - not that anyone was suggesting that on this forum, but I have encountered visitors to the city that seem to believe that.

How does Winnipeg compare to other Canadian cities in terms of its (violent) crime concentration? I've always been under the impression that the disparity between neighourhoods in Winnipeg is more noticeable than in other cities.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by balletomane View Post
No, no one was suggesting that. I just find when a city has higher than normal crime rates others start to believe that the ENTIRE city is dangerous - not that anyone was suggesting that on this forum, but I have encountered visitors to the city that seem to believe that.

How does Winnipeg compare to other Canadian cities in terms of its (violent) crime concentration? I've always been under the impression that the disparity between neighourhoods in Winnipeg is more noticeable than in other cities.
Bolded; That comment is bang on, Winnipeg mirrors a lot of US cities more so than elsewhere in Canada in that way with crime concentrated in a fairly uniform area.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Most people don't have any concept of city vs. metro vs. expanded urban area populations that we debate endlessly here and thus perceptions about safety are usually going to be more anecdotal than ensuring they're dividing by the right denominator when calculating a murder rate.

People outside of Toronto would probably think walking around Moss Park or Regent Park was the most sketchy, when statistically the edge of the city near Mississauga/Brampton is the violent part.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 7:22 PM

Regent Park used to be Sketchy, Moss Park just looks it.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 9:47 PM
recession proof

Moss Park needs to be redeveloped. Who's committing the crimes in Winnipeg?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 12:34 AM

Rexdale has continuously for decades had some of highest shooting occurrences and homicides in Toronto. Not sure if it looks the most ghetto though

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 1:57 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Who's committing the crimes in Winnipeg?
Criminals

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:21 AM

I remember Jane and Finch as a hotspot in TO. Not sure if its still the case.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
I remember Jane and Finch as a hotspot in TO. Not sure if its still the case.
Definitely still is. Rexdale and Jane/Finch are probably 1 and 2. Regent Park isn't as bad anymore but still has a lot of crime.

Chester Le in Scarborough is bad too.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:35 AM

Quote:

For what it's worth whenever I have seen the map of murders in Edmonton they are surprisingly distributed throughout the city...at least at a casual glance. Perhaps some one from there can chime in.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
For what it's worth whenever I have seen the map of murders in Edmonton they are surprisingly distributed throughout the city...at least at a casual glance. Perhaps some one from there can chime in.
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/homicide-map

Of the 19 on the books 5 or 6 were central. (Mainly just north of downtown) But is pretty much spread around the city. One was at the remand centre. One was right in front of my office. a stabbing after a Death Metal Concert.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:34 PM

In Montreal its pretty damn spread out although the eastern half of the island sees more murders than the western half. Which makes total sense as its denser and poorer. Especially around st-michel/st-leonard and the neighborhoods east of downtown.

Last edited by Darkoshvilli; Nov 7, 2019 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 1:29 AM

Toronto - 63
Peel Region - 25
York Region - 12
Durham Region - 6
Halton Region - 4

GTA Total - 110

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada