HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
What color is the lighting? Nothing above indicates what color it is at all...
If you look at the webcam, viewing northeast, you can see a pinkish neon light on the side of the building. I think from the nighttime renderings of this building, it's suppose to have these "neon" lights that outline the building.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/kdc/frostbank

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:00 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
If you look at the webcam, viewing northeast, you can see a pinkish neon light on the side of the building. I think from the nighttime renderings of this building, it's suppose to have these "neon" lights that outline the building.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/kdc/frostbank
YAAAASSSS. Contra to those above, I'm all for lighting this tower in pink, turquoise, yellow, and other vibrant colors that fit into San Antonio's cultural landscape.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:28 AM

Oh hellll yessssssss. Give me those classic SA colors on the skyline!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:28 AM
Meh

It's gotta be LEDs. Neon would limit it to one color. One of the reasons the Bank of America Plaza in Dallas switched from argon gas to LEDs is for the color variation possibilities.

I even remember watching a video talking about there being a designer in San Antonio who was designing LED lighting for several of the buildings and one of the underpasses.

It looks like a light saber. lol

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
YAAAASSSS. Contra to those above, I'm all for lighting this tower in pink, turquoise, yellow, and other vibrant colors that fit into San Antonio's cultural landscape.
I hope you're not joking. I actually agreed with this!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 12:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Those colors are fine for piñatas, streamers, balloons and other fiesta/party things. But in bright lights on a 400 foot building... that's just tacky. I'd hate to be across the street from that.

But I guess I'm going to have to accept it and get used to it. (Hangs head disappointedly.)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's gotta be LEDs. Neon would limit it to one color. One of the reasons the Bank of America Plaza in Dallas switched from argon gas to LEDs is for the color variation possibilities.

I even remember watching a video talking about there being a designer in San Antonio who was designing LED lighting for several of the buildings and one of the underpasses.

It looks like a light saber. lol
Bill FitzGibbons is the local light artist.

http://www.billfitzgibbons.com/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Those colors are fine for piñatas, streamers, balloons and other fiesta/party things. But in bright lights on a 400 foot building... that's just tacky. I'd hate to be across the street from that.

But I guess I'm going to have to accept it and get used to it. (Hangs head disappointedly.)
Meh, I think we should give it a shot before we decide we don't like it. The BoA tower lighting looks beautiful at night and has changed the nighttime skyline for the better. And it's pretty flamboyant in terms of color choice.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:

I agree. It’s trashy.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:41 PM

I'm all for bright and varied colors. It really adds excitement to a night time skyline. LED's of course, neon is outdated and limited.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:51 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I'm all for bright and varied colors. It really adds excitement to a night time skyline. LED's of course, neon is outdated and limited.
I assume many people on this forum either live or wouldn't mind living in a downtown/urban highrise at least for a period of time. Would you want to live across the street from a building fully outlined in LED lights that are on all night? (Rhetorical question, because I don't expect anyone to contradict something they've already said).

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:01 PM

LED's, of course. I shouldn't have used the term "neon" in my last post. I'm sure for the most part they will leave the conservative white lighting setting at night to outline the building and will change the color for special events ie. Christmas, fiesta, etc. just like they do with the lights on the tower of the Americas. This is all just a hunch though.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:10 PM

Quote:
I assume many people on this forum either live or wouldn't mind living in a downtown/urban highrise at least for a period of time. Would you want to live across the street from a building fully outlined in LED lights that are on all night? (Rhetorical question, because I don't expect anyone to contradict something they've already said).
It comes with the territory of living in a vibrant downtown. Bright lights keep up the energy at all hours. If you want a quiet, dark place, don't live freaking downtown. Or, you know, do something as simple as close the curtains when you're ready to go to sleep.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:08 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
It comes with the territory of living in a vibrant downtown. Bright lights keep up the energy at all hours. If you want a quiet, dark place, don't live freaking downtown. Or, you know, do something as simple as close the curtains when you're ready to go to sleep.
The anonymity the internet provides has allowed people to become much less thoughtful when conversing with others online than they might otherwise be when speaking to another human being face-to-face. It also allows them to make comments that they might choose to alter after more consideration when spoken in person, so as to appear more perceptive and well-informed.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
Bill FitzGibbons is the local light artist.

http://www.billfitzgibbons.com/
I contacted Bill today. They are not doing the lighting for the Frost Tower, unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
The anonymity the internet provides has allowed people to become much less thoughtful when conversing with others online than they might otherwise be when speaking to another human being face-to-face. It also allows them to make comments that they might choose to alter after more consideration when spoken in person, so as to appear more perceptive and well-informed.
What are you saying?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
What are you saying?
You just had to use the word "freaking", didn't you, you thoughtless, inconsiderate, un-perceptive, un-well-informed anonymous person on the internet

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:06 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
You just had to use the word "freaking", didn't you, you thoughtless, inconsiderate, un-perceptive, un-well-informed anonymous person on the internet
That, and it's not all or nothing. People who want to live in a vibrant downtown don't necessarily want it quiet and dark, but they most likely don't want bright colored lights in the windows either. Maybe they don't want to be forced to close the curtains due to someone else's bright lights.

I lived in New York City for 18 years. People there realize there are lots of things that make city living difficult (such as the few listed above) and they often have an attitude of "we're in this together" so they don't make generic, uninformed comments about it being as simple as closing the curtains.

All I'm saying is think a little more before typing words. Look at things from perspectives that aren't your own. Think of how others may feel in the situation which you're discussing. You may end up coming to the same conclusion, but most likely your opinions will shift even just a little bit.

I wouldn't want those lights outside my window, yet I might want to live in downtown SA to be near where the action is. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:07 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
I contacted Bill today. They are not doing the lighting for the Frost Tower, unfortunately.
Whew!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
That, and it's not all or nothing. People who want to live in a vibrant downtown don't necessarily want it quiet and dark, but they most likely don't want bright colored lights in the windows either. Maybe they don't want to be forced to close the curtains due to someone else's bright lights.

I lived in New York City for 18 years. People there realize there are lots of things that make city living difficult (such as the few listed above) and they often have an attitude of "we're in this together" so they don't make generic, uninformed comments about it being as simple as closing the curtains.

All I'm saying is think a little more before typing words. Look at things from perspectives that aren't your own. Think of how others may feel in the situation which you're discussing. You may end up coming to the same conclusion, but most likely your opinions will shift even just a little bit.

I wouldn't want those lights outside my window, yet I might want to live in downtown SA to be near where the action is. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

And I'm saying, if you're going to live next to the Frost Tower, you should understand that you are going to be living next to a stunning piece of architecture that deserves to be well and brightly lit. I don't think the complaints from a few nearby residents that the lights are too bright should deter the rest of SA from enjoying a spectacularly lit signature tower in their downtown.

Please excuse me for my uninformed, thoughtless and one-sided post, I'll go back to hiding behind my internet anonymity to disparage and insult as many people I disagree with as I can, because it's what I just love doing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio