HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 3:53 PM

Yah at closer look it seems they all serve downtowns aswell. Iam suprised edmonton's doesn't serve west ed looking at future winnipeg routes the one that serve the most people and large destinations is a uofw to polo route and a red river college route.Also in the future maybe one going from kildonan place connecting to the uofm route.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 6:13 PM

If you guys are interested, here are Edmonton's long range plans in terms of LRT - http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...-projects.aspx

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 7:31 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Yah at closer look it seems they all serve downtowns aswell. Iam suprised edmonton's doesn't serve west ed looking at future winnipeg routes the one that serve the most people and large destinations is a uofw to polo route and a red river college route.Also in the future maybe one going from kildonan place connecting to the uofm route.
Red River College - Downtown - U of M as LRT. As for KP to the U of M, just give route 75 and 47 articulated buses, which edmonton does for its major bus routes sometimes

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 7:32 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
If you guys are interested, here are Edmonton's long range plans in terms of LRT - http://www.edmonton.ca/transportatio...-projects.aspx
They are having some problems with their expansions. They cant get West LRT past Whitemud Drive and Southeast LRT is still looking for funds. North LRT is going great though

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 9:45 PM
Transit Nerd

ANYWAYS, back to the point. I'll have a basic map for you guys when I get back from work (of my proposal), Bison to Winnipeg Square

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 1:24 PM
Transit Nerd

???????!?? man this thread died fast

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 5:16 PM

?

chill out man. you said you were gonna post a map.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:04 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
?

chill out man. you said you were gonna post a map.
sorry, lack of sleep and really shitty days lately. anyways, heres my map:

due to google maps being the only place where i could get a decent map of winnipeg, i decided to just have it like this. anywhom, it would go just like phase one and two. HOWEVER, its cutoff after winnipeg square and it'd be elevated from harkness to main, so it can go to the east side of union station. there, a station on the elevated track would be for the forks/CMHR, and then it'd go underground on the east side, where theres currently parking/overgrown lawns

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:22 AM

No problem man

Thats a very neat design...nice change of pace too.

Well, I personally like your idea. You really should go lobby this to Katz or something lol.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:39 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
No problem man

Thats a very neat design...nice change of pace too.

Well, I personally like your idea. You really should go lobby this to Katz or something lol.
Wonder if I can walk into his office and persuade him haha. I'll check the City Hall page

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 1:38 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't think persuading Katz is the problem. He has stated all along that he wants LRT for this city. That is why we are in the mess we are in right now with a partially finished BRT line. The problem is finding the $750 mil to $1 billion dollars required to make LRT work.

My bet is that if it wouldn't be political suicide, Katz would take money from starving children to fund a big glamor project like this.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 2:19 PM

Katz wanting LRT was just a smoke screen. Won't get done unless the higher levels of government hand him all of the cash to get it done.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 2:36 PM

How come it seems so easy for Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Vancouver to get tons of cash for massive transit expansion yet we have been talking about either Monorail, BRT,or LRT since the mid 50's with Juba as mayor and we still have nothing done.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 3:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
How come it seems so easy for Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Vancouver to get tons of cash for massive transit expansion yet we have been talking about either Monorail, BRT,or LRT since the mid 50's with Juba as mayor and we still have nothing done.
With the exception of Hamilton, i believe it would be because they all are trying to expand already successful systems. We are starting from scratch and possibly the costs are scaring funding away. Maybe that is Katz plan all along. Start building something so we can get funding more readily????

I know i come off a some kind of Katz supporter, which i am not. I just believe that Katz is LRT or nothing and we will end up with nothing if we aren't careful. I have this gut feeling though that somehow we will pull through with LRT....just a hunch.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 3:48 PM
HVAC guru

^ as has been proven by all the western cities anyways, kicking off a system seems to require some major city event to get a base system installed.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Katz wanting LRT was just a smoke screen. Won't get done unless the higher levels of government hand him all of the cash to get it done.
Yep, and an easy way to funnel the existing BRT money into new road works to support the 'burbs.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I'm not too sure about LRT to the airport for a few reasons. First of all, although there are a lot of jobs there, they are all spread out, and are difficult to access by bus (once you arrive). Secondly, a lot of travellers do not generally want to take public transit to the airport, regardless of how fast it would be: You might have a lot of bulky luggage (so, lets say you needed to first walk 5 minutes to a bus route with luggage, catch that bus, then transfer to LRT - inconvenient to say the least); a lot travellers coming in would be business people, who have expense accounts - they can easily cab it to downtown. Finally, when friends/family are travelling, often they want to say their goodbyes - it's easier for them to just drop off their family member at the airport by car, and then leave (assuming they have a car)... Other than that though, I like your ideas - perhaps Polo Park would be a good place to end for starters.

What I hope eventually happens is that the province grants the city the ability to levy their own 1% sales tax, to be used SPECIFICALLY for large infra structure project. No way could any of this money be cleverly used to cover operating deficits, etc - only large projects like LRT, bridges, etc.. However, the City is going to have to use the tools they have first before the Province would agree to this - i.e. Rasingin property taxes, implement development charges, charge user fees etc. Once the City proves that they have made attempts to finance growth using the tools already at their disposal, only then would the Province considering offering more taxing power.... It's unlikely, but sorely needed in my opinion...
When I was in Minneapolis we used the LRT to get to the mall of America and it did stop at the airport and it seems like lots of people there use it to get to the airport but then again there airport bigger than Winnipeg's but there are cities out there that do have lines that services there airports so it may be possible for Winnipeg to have a line there but I don't live in Winnipeg so hard say what will and will not work for you guys.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 5:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
How come it seems so easy for Toronto
It isn't necessarily easy. Toronto is building a northern extension to the Younge-University-Spadina line that has been something 20 years in the making, and it isn't even the most badly needed. A downtown relief line is needed more but is so expensive it scares politicians away.

I use public transit from the airport in Toronto, it is an express bus that goes to Kipling at the end of the Bloor line. It is fast and convenient.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:08 PM
Transit Nerd

With the one I created, its just a base for future expansion. As for the airport, just operate articulated buses on route 15

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 6:57 PM
BANNED

Sorry for my ignorance, but would some sort of gas tax in Manitoba strictly for transit (rapid transit in Winnipeg) be well recieved in Manitoba? Does something like this exist already? I believe BC may have something similar to this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan