HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 4:37 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

criticism of this stuff calls to mind a recognizably american trait these days, making lemons out of lemonade.

Gentrification in inner city houston is generally a great thing. same as most other cities. what are the houses supposed to look like, a thomas kincaid painting?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
^^That is actually nice. Reminds me of New Orleans.

Actually, I looked through that neighborhood (Houston Heights) on Streetview and while it is still far from perfect, much better than the majority of neighborhoods in Houston.
Definitely a Gulf Coast feel to these particular homes, and if you look on Zillow, the're some of the most valuable new homes in Houston, especially inside Loop 610.

I currently live in The Heights and it's a real mixed bag. Occasionally you see an entire cite block of these and it's absolutely wonderful. The street is well-defined, the houses are magnificently detailed, the small front yards are really charming, and there are actual sidewalks. Feels like a real American small town, somewhere most Americans only see in movies or when they visit a Disney park.

Some other blocks contain houses like these but built in slightly different styles, slightly different setbacks, different sizes, etc. These feel more organic, more like the real New Orleans, where every home was built by a different builder over time.

Some of these developments take a double or triple house lot and they build a private drive from the street. Then the put in 8-10 3-story townhomes with garage doors at the ground level and porches on the second story. While a few of these can look nice, with New Orleans-style ironwork and warm brick facades, a lot of them are built in a weird traditional/modern crossover style, with very watered-down architectural elements for the sake of "clean lines" that only HINT at tradition. And some of these townhomes definitely look like shipping containers pushed up on their side.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Yup. Looks a bit like this town house complex near Los Angeles, without the extra parking.

https://www.newhomesource.com/commun...unities/124842

Dude, totally! Like the parking spaces are in front of the Public Storage office.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 5:01 PM

In general most architecture since the 1930's has been disgraceful.

There are some few and far between modern structures I find actually beautiful most are crap and have been crap for a long time.

That being said the generic home/apartment styles Id say in the last 10 years have been far superior to the snout house and garden apartment monstrosities that peaked in 2005

Still lots of times architecture takes a lifetime before it starts to seem classic. Some of the things we find generic today may be thought of very differently in 50 years.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Dude, totally! Like the parking spaces are in front of the Public Storage office.
These communities remind me of crappy Italian town sidestreets: https://goo.gl/maps/DchG5JyvBXMXFkAW6

Except more soulless

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Is that in any way revealing of how car-centered many new developments are in Houston specifically (or in the Sunbelt)?

Or is that common in other regions/cities?

Seems less familiar in some regions of North America.
Not really.

You go to Boston and you'll witness as much as three parking spaces each in the alley behind those row homes.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Not really.

You go to Boston and you'll witness as much as three parking spaces each in the alley behind those row homes.
I'd be very surprised if you found Boston SFH with 3 parking spaces. Back Bay probably has alley parking, but limited. Beacon Hill and North End almost none.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
You might have trouble telling which one of these is yours after a few cocktails at the hip new bar down the street. (Midtown, Houston)

Are these sfh or duplexes? Also, this doesn't look bad to me.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Are these sfh or duplexes? Also, this doesn't look bad to me.
Thos look like Single family homes.

Ive been seeing a lot of these lately, almost no yard or a small side yard, but community amenities.

They are sort of like rearranged classic suburban homes more than true towns or row houses.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 6:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

They are SFH. Some have private driveways with direct access to street like the ones shown above, others are gated with an HOA.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 6:42 PM

i feel like the orange/red door is the most transparent code for this these days

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 6:50 PM
Never Dell

Italy's dirty secret is that its side streets can be terrible to walk on...there's often no sidewalk and you're expected to get out of the way of cars that race through.

But that example is at least picturesque.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 9:35 PM
Posh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Italy's dirty secret is that its side streets can be terrible to walk on...there's often no sidewalk and you're expected to get out of the way of cars that race through.
Well, I suppose back in Medieval and Renaissance times when those streets were first laid out, there was no need for sidewalks since there were no cars.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Well, I suppose back in Medieval and Renaissance times when those streets were first laid out, there was no need for sidewalks since there were no cars.
I dont know about that, streets covered in horse droppings and mud were far grosser than modern paved streets.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 1:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
this doesn't look bad to me.
yeah, those aren't as bad as some of the others. and they'll get better with time as they get more individualized.

there are lots of blocks in older cities where you see the same basic building repeated down the block. brooklyn brownstones, philly rowhouses, chicago 3-flats, etc., but over the decades little personalized detailing touches are made to give a modicum of differentiation to make the block look less sterile and more lived in.

the main aesthetic/planning failure of the that houston example (along with most of the others from the OP) is the street-fronting garage doors/curb cuts.

if you had an alley in back, the garage could access that, leaving room on the front elevation for a more graceful entrance and elegant street presence.

but what are you gonna do in a car-oriented city that didn't plan out its blocks with alleys? that ship has more or less sailed.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 2:13 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

I don't think street-facing garages need necessarily be anathema to good urbanity: https://goo.gl/maps/yESoKKQzHCXtxdPa7

Last edited by MonkeyRonin; Mar 20, 2020 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Look at the old buildings, and the infrastructure. That's what always blows me away about American Sunbelt cities. You have tumbledown shotgun homes, no sidewalks, drainage ditches, all blocks from the core. Looks like the Wild West.
Yeah, I’m always fascinated by the “country” atmosphere that still exists within walking distance of the downtown area in southern cities. I find it really cool and hope it can be preserved (at least the little shotgun style/single-story prairie style houses.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 2:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I don't think street-facing garages need necessarily to be anathema to good urbanity: https://goo.gl/maps/yESoKKQzHCXtxdPa7
yes, those single-car garage doors are definitely less visually obtrusive than the texas double-wides.

but if you're going to have garages in the first place, the ideal is still to have them off of an alley in back instead of directly facing the street.

that said, not every place has alleys, so like i said, it is what it is: less than ideal, but what can you really do?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 3:09 PM
Dryer lint inspector

It's not the allies or lack of them but the lack of trees. These townhouses are brand new and often replaced a house a on a single lot. Chicago isn't exactly Paris either but the manontany and starkness is blunted by trees and shrubbery. The older townhouses here are far less sterile.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 3:17 PM
obit anus, abit onus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
so like i said, it is what it is: less than ideal, but what can you really do?
Well, what they did in my hometown...

Banning the "Snout House": The politics of design in Portland, Oregon

In Portland, Houses Are Friendly. Or Else.

Quote:
... the offending structure has been clearly defined in the city code: the garage cannot dominate the front of the house or protrude; the main entrance has to be close to the street and clearly identifiable from the sidewalk; and the side of the house that faces the street must have a certain minimum of window and door space.... The code gave incentives for porches, balconies and living space above a garage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions