HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 10:22 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ some people think its 1992 forever.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 10:31 PM

I guess lol.
I haven't heard anyone in LA call downtown dead or dull in a long time.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 10:52 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
^ some people think its 1992 forever.
I was just in LA last summer. No it's not downtown Houston but it's not the ultimate destination in LA either. At least not yet. Certainly has potential with all the (re) development going on but it was still pretty quiet the week we were there. While everywhere else was alive with activity like typical LA.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 11:41 PM
Future God

Houston as a whole is fairly entertaining, but as far as big city downtowns are concerned? Yeah, downtown Houston is pretty damn boring and sterile. If we were talking about Topeka having some row boats and a half a block of bars and some minor retail, it might be halfway impressive. But the fact that those are the entertainment highlights in the epicenter of a metro of 6 million people is rather uninspiring. I guess there is that weird chain restaurant/aquarium thing too if you're into that.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I was just in LA last summer. No it's not downtown Houston but it's not the ultimate destination in LA either. At least not yet. Certainly has potential with all the (re) development going on but it was still pretty quiet the week we were there. While everywhere else was alive with activity like typical LA.
It might never the biggest destination. But its gonna be up there.
The Purple Line Subway to UCLA/Westwood will only make it more of a thing, plus the Olympics etc. Who knows, maybe its that world stage in 2028 that changes everything.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 11:58 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Houston as a whole is fairly entertaining, but as far as big city downtowns are concerned? Yeah, downtown Houston is pretty damn boring and sterile. If we were talking about Topeka having some row boats and a half a block of bars and some minor retail, it might be halfway impressive. But the fact that those are the entertainment highlights in the epicenter of a metro of 6 million people is rather uninspiring. I guess there is that weird chain restaurant/aquarium thing too if you're into that.
Downtown Houston has the third largest theater district in the country. It has Bayou Place, which is an entertainment district with a theater, the Revention music center, bars and restaurants. It has art galleries, it has two downtown malls in green street and the Houston shops. It has a house of blues and an escape room, tons of bars and clubs, tons of restaurants, schools, concerts halls, really big parks and a lucky strike bowling. A historic district, art sculptures, churches, Avenida Houston, sports stadiums, an underground cistern to get tours of and yes, the aquarium.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 1:01 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Downtown Houston has the third largest theater district in the country. It has Bayou Place, which is an entertainment district with a theater, the Revention music center, bars and restaurants. It has art galleries, it has two downtown malls in green street and the Houston shops. It has a house of blues and an escape room, tons of bars and clubs, tons of restaurants, schools, concerts halls, really big parks and a lucky strike bowling. A historic district, art sculptures, churches, Avenida Houston, sports stadiums, an underground cistern to get tours of and yes, the aquarium.
Again, for a downtown of a metro of 7 million, it does leave much to be desired. The fact that you had to mention a bowling ally is proof of that. We've come a long way but activity downtown still depends on a game or convention and not because of downtown itself.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 1:16 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Houston does have the best "Coffee and Cars" events, so thats a plus too!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Holy crap, it has a loong way to go to be anything. Honestly, Houston should just focus on fixing it's rather boring downtown first. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea to be developing these outer areas that are total shitholes right now, but let's be honest, the CORE city is the most important part. If the core is lacking, like it is in LA, the whole cities reputation will take a major hit with visitors. Having a core city that is vibrant is the key to getting a good reputation globally. That's why LA is known for being a city with "no there, there". If your downtown is a snooze fest, the general reputation of Houston will suffer. Houston needs a "there".
LA is boring if you're boring. Period.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 2:13 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
plus you can buy a nice firm mattress and visit the qaint shoppes of ye olde strip mall
In Houston the streets are paved with gold and there is a Mattress Firm going out of business on every corner.

I wonder if anyone else here remembers those stupid 1990s TV commercials for Mattress Giant with the overtly sexual "Oooh ahh". Oooh ahh, oooh ahh, only at mattress giant. Oooh ahh!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 2:39 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
I mean, I was exaggerating to prove a point, obviously there is more in downtown Houston than what you included in those pictures, but still, like Jman said, the fact that you had to include things like a bowling alley and an escape room in your master list kinda proves it even more. Shouldn't it be a given that a downtown for a city that big has some retail and bars and restaurants? It isn't a knock on Houston, it's just sort of a reality. But it'll get there one day! And hey, if it makes a difference, I think it's more exciting than downtown Dallas at least!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 5:51 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Holy crap, it has a loong way to go to be anything. Honestly, Houston should just focus on fixing it's rather boring downtown first. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea to be developing these outer areas that are total shitholes right now, but let's be honest, the CORE city is the most important part. If the core is lacking, like it is in LA, the whole cities reputation will take a major hit with visitors. Having a core city that is vibrant is the key to getting a good reputation globally. That's why LA is known for being a city with "no there, there". If your downtown is a snooze fest, the general reputation of Houston will suffer. Houston needs a "there".
That quote is from Gertrude Stein and it is reference to her childhood home in Oakland that no longer existed upon her return. Nobody in their right mind would say it about LA nor was it ever about LA.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2020, 6:13 PM

People have said it referring to LA, but you don't hear it as much anymore. I want to say people's image of downtown LA changed quite a bit around 2012-2013 or so.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions