HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 8:49 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
More airlines have SA on radar screen, U.S. travel expert says

This is behind a firewall. If anyone has access, please repost the link.
Wonderful news!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 6:01 AM

SA Corridors plan

http://sacorridors.com/framework-plan/

"SA Corridors plan is one of the first steps to implementing VIA's Vision 2040 Plan and the City of San Antonio's SA Tomorrow Comprehensive Plan. It is the product of 18 months of collaboration with the community and in-depth market analysis of San Antonio's future transit corridors. You can review the draft plan which is in five parts,"

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 4:13 AM

Woot!! Record now at 16 months!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 2:43 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAhometown View Post
Awesome! I can't wait for more flights to come and then get the ball rolling for Terminal C to possibly start construction.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Awesome! I can't wait for more flights to come and then get the ball rolling for Terminal C to possibly start construction.
Only sad thing is that terminal C will only have four gates. That's according to the master plan.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:05 PM

If I remember correctly, the masterplanned Terminal D was the real impressive one, right?
Would love SAT to appeal to Norwegian Airlines for low-cost trans-atlantic flights. They're expanding into the US market fast. (I know this is dreaming though and far off).

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 8:55 PM

Airport Master Plan

From https://www.sanantonio.gov/Portals/0...%20Summary.pdf

Extend Terminal A
Terminal A will be extended to the south to provide two additional aircraft
gates.
Construct Terminal C
A new terminal – Terminal C – will be required to meet 2030 demand.
The proposed terminal layout locates Terminal C landside parallel to the
existing roadway and with a six gate concourse pier which extends parallel
to the concourse piers of Terminals A and B. All three terminals will be
connected by a corridor which will allow passengers to circulate through
the terminal complex, both pre- and post-security, therefore creating a
unified terminal complex.
Additional analysis was done to ensure that the recommended terminal
layout for 2030 could be expanded to meet 2050 demand on the existing
terminal site.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2017, 9:19 PM
James

From one of those diagrams, it looks like terminal C is 5 years from start of construction. Assuming they have the funding.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 12:15 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
I Would love SAT to appeal to Norwegian Airlines for low-cost trans-atlantic flights. They're expanding into the US market fast. (I know this is dreaming though and far off).
Too late. Norwegian is going to fly to Austin instead (beginning next Spring). Furthermore, our runways are not long enough to accommodate trans-oceanic flights.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 11:43 PM

Another interesting article about our car-centric culture. There are no easy answers or quick fixes, but we need to start doing something. I'm not sure light rail is the way, as fixed rail has no flexibility. It goes back and forth. Seems to me that dedicated bus lanes, HOV lanes, and high speed rail within the Texas Triangle are less limiting.

https://therivardreport.com/census-d...to-work-alone/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:04 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Another interesting article about our car-centric culture. There are no easy answers or quick fixes, but we need to start doing something. I'm not sure light rail is the way, as fixed rail has no flexibility. It goes back and forth. Seems to me that dedicated bus lanes, HOV lanes, and high speed rail within the Texas Triangle are less limiting.

https://therivardreport.com/census-d...to-work-alone/
Dedicated bus and high speed rail, yes. HOV, no. Having two people in a car still means 500 cars for every 1,000 people... about the same as one Amtrak train or New York City subway train.

I've lived in San Antonio, Austin, LA, NYC and Boston. New York is the easiest to get around because of the subway and other rail systems, then Boston, then it's a crap shoot between LA, SA and Austin. All I am saying is give rail a chance.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Dedicated bus and high speed rail, yes. HOV, no. Having two people in a car still means 500 cars for every 1,000 people... about the same as one Amtrak train or New York City subway train.

I've lived in San Antonio, Austin, LA, NYC and Boston. New York is the easiest to get around because of the subway and other rail systems, then Boston, then it's a crap shoot between LA, SA and Austin. All I am saying is give rail a chance.
Please stop with hyperbole. San Antonio is better than Austin and WAY better than New York to get around in a car. If Austin or San Antonio had a complete urban core area to work, play, and shop in completeness for the masses then we would have better transit in said area.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 6:17 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Please stop with hyperbole. San Antonio is better than Austin and WAY better than New York to get around in a car. If Austin or San Antonio had a complete urban core area to work, play, and shop in completeness for the masses then we would have better transit in said area.
Did I say New York and Boston are easier to get around than SA or Austin in a car? My mistake. I meant by mass transit. Oh wait, that is what I said.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Did I say New York and Boston are easier to get around than SA or Austin in a car? My mistake. I meant by mass transit. Oh wait, that is what I said.
I think Centro should start doing pedicabs around Downtown. That would make it easier to get to the disconnected areas of Downtown and would add some vibrancy to the streets. Plus pedicabs are a lot of fun

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:30 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
I think Centro should start doing pedicabs around Downtown. That would make it easier to get to the disconnected areas of Downtown and would add some vibrancy to the streets. Plus pedicabs are a lot of fun
(like button)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
If Austin or San Antonio had a complete urban core area to work, play, and shop in completeness for the masses then we would have better transit in said area.
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 7:39 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

San Antonio Airport Saw 17th Straight Month of Growth in November

Quote:
More than 810,000 travelers passed through the San Antonio International Airport in November, giving the airport its 17th straight month of passenger growth, aviation officials announced Thursday.

That amount constitutes a 9.3 percent gain over the more than 741,000 travelers that hopped on and off planes at the San Antonio airport in November 2016, according to the airport’s monthly report on passenger statistics.
SAT could easily top 9 million for 2017 now. December numbers last year were at 730,000, if the growth rate continues into December, they could just about hit 9.1 million. Cheers to SAT!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 2:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
San Antonio Airport Saw 17th Straight Month of Growth in November

SAT could easily top 9 million for 2017 now. December numbers last year were at 730,000, if the growth rate continues into December, they could just about hit 9.1 million. Cheers to SAT!
Video Link

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:34 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

New CONRAC Opens at SAT

Quote:
San Antonio International Airport has opened a brand new, state-of the-art $178 million Consolidated Rental Car Facility (CONRAC).

According to the US gateway, the facility makes it convenient for passengers to access rental cars in one centralised, on-site location.

The short-term garage is on the first two levels of the facility and the next five levels are designated rental car areas.

Access to the rental car area is through the sky bridge, taking passengers directly from the mezzanine level of the terminal to the rental car counters.

The 1.8 million square feet CONRAC facility houses 14 rental car companies, a quick turnaround (QTA) area for fueling, vacuuming, washing and light maintenance, and approximately 2,600 ready/return parking spaces.

Its location just a few steps away from the terminals, eliminates the need for shuttles to take passengers to their rental car locations, enabling the airport to initiate significant improvements to traffic flow in the arrivals area.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:36 AM

9 Million Plus!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio