HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
No tax dollars will be used to build the Crew's stadium. But that's a Travis Co. proposal, and Travis Co. was going to build an arena at that site regardless of MLS. I think they added the stadium just because of the potential Crew move. This is the Crew's down town proposal if the City goes along with it:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/socc...5ybPPdZB2CoiK/

Very nice! I will say it again, Good luck Austin!!

On another note, did I hear that the state of Ohio was going to try and make it difficult for the Crew owner of moving the Columbus team by passing some new laws before the end of the year??

Has anyone heard this??

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 9:39 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
On another note, did I hear that the state of Ohio was going to try and make it difficult for the Crew owner of moving the Columbus team by passing some new laws before the end of the year??

Has anyone heard this??
No. However, I don't think they could pass anything which would stop a team from moving - especially anything passed prior to year end.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 1:32 AM

I’ll help y’all!

http://www.dispatch.com/news/2017120...w-from-leaving

As with most sports teams a quote from the article speaks to the nature of these fights...

Quote:
“This is our team, our town. We’re not going to go out without a fight,” Duffey said.

“The fact is, the law is the law, and they’ve got to follow it just like everybody else. They’ve been jerks about everything they’ve done about it. If we want to purchase the team as a town, we’re afforded that right under state law.”

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
I’ll help y’all!

http://www.dispatch.com/news/2017120...w-from-leaving

As with most sports teams a quote from the article speaks to the nature of these fights...

I thought I had heard something like that. Thanks Rynetwo for posting.

Wow, they must really like their MLS team up there in Columbus.
Who knows what's going to happen now.

Wonder if it is legal to do this?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 3:54 PM

If they like their team so much, why is their stadium attendance so dismally low?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
If they like their team so much, why is their stadium attendance so dismally low?
^^^This!^^^

Furthermore, I believe PSV's purchase contract did state that the only place they could relocate prior to the end of the stadium lease was to Austin. So, I'm not sure what legal grounds anyone has to force the sale of the team.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:02 PM

Is MLS even doing good as a sport?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_...cer_attendance

Most teams are losing attendance year over year.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
^^^This!^^^

Furthermore, I believe PSV's purchase contract did state that the only place they could relocate prior to the end of the stadium lease was to Austin. So, I'm not sure what legal grounds anyone has to force the sale of the team.
This whole new situation looks like it can get REAL messy!

We will just wait and see.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Is MLS even doing good as a sport?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_...cer_attendance

Most teams are losing attendance year over year.

Very interesting statistics.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
This whole new situation looks like it can get REAL messy!

We will just wait and see.
Yes. Watch...Austin's inept city council members will "f" this up for the city!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:32 PM

Not to kick up the hornets nest again, but this story popped up on the Business Journal's website today (it's behind a paywall).

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...-with-mls.html

Looks like the mayor is still working to get a franchise for SA. Taking the initiative to go and meet with the MLS commissioner and sell San Antonio as a viable MLS destination is a smart move by the mayor in my opinion.

...and it's absolutely a better approach than threatening to sue the league over the possible relocation of the Crew to Austin.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
Not to kick up the hornets nest again, but this story popped up on the Business Journal's website today (it's behind a paywall).

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...-with-mls.html

Looks like the mayor is still working to get a franchise for SA. Taking the initiative to go and meet with the MLS commissioner and sell San Antonio as a viable MLS destination is a smart move by the mayor in my opinion.

...and it's absolutely a better approach than threatening to sue the league over the possible relocation of the Crew to Austin.
I agree. Good move. Even though we've been ruled out of this phase of expansion, we'll be one of the top cities during the next round - especially if Austin fails to get the Crew.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 2:12 AM

The MLS situation is weird. I think San Antonio will have to make some major changes to its bid for it to work. We have some hurdles to get over, some specific to San Antonio, others related to the state of soccer in the country right now in general.

First, the stadium. Toyota Field is relatively new, but it isn’t exactly centrally located---it's also not big enough for MLS as it is, though it was planned to be expandable. I’d love to see a new stadium built downtown. It would be more accessible for the entire city, and it would be far easier to reach on foot for those living near downtown---that's key for the younger demographic (so-called millenials living/working in urban cores) that MLS is trying to attract. There’s also just a lot more to do pre and post game downtown. Toyota Field could easily be used for football, so maybe they could sell it to one of the school districts or something. That would make it overnight one of the top high school stadiums in the state.

The MLS attendance issues are complicated and vary greatly from city to city. Cities like Seattle, Portland, and Orlando have amazing support and attendance. Last season was Atlanta's first, and they had incredible support as well. That's the good side; the bad side is some teams can barely get people in the door.

American soccer in general, though, is facing a bit of a crisis. And that affects MLS and, indirectly, MLS in San Antonio. As was already mentioned in the thread, the men’s national team not qualifying for the upcoming World Cup this summer is a total and utter catastrophe---the first time we haven’t qualified for a World Cup in thirty years or something. The worst part is that the region we play in (CONCACAF) is basically set up to guarantee that the two major players (Mexico and the US) qualify every single time: our region gets three guaranteed spots for the World Cup, plus a potential fourth spot. Given our population, the facilities, plus the sheer amount of money that's pumped into the sport, we're basically a shoe-in every time around to finish first or second, along with Mexico, and then other smaller countries from Central America and/or the Caribbean. If we don't win the region, no problem, second gets us in. If by some act of god we don't even finish second, third is still there. And even in a once in a millenium disaster, we can still squeak in if we finish fourth.

We finished fifth. Behind Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica and Honduras.

And now there is a huge crisis within the men's national team and the US Soccer Federation (which runs the men's and women's national teams). How could this happen? why are we not developing better players? etc etc. There is a new election for the presidency of the USSF in just a few weeks, and all the candidates have their own vision for how to "fix" US soccer.

What does this have to do with MLS?

Well, the USSF has no *official* relationship with MLS, but there's implied mutual interest; the standard of MLS isn't very high right now. The better MLS gets as a league, the better the players get, and the better American players get, the better the men's national team gets.

The problem is that the MLS does things differently from every other soccer league in the world. First, there's no promotion/relegation. Secondly, (and here's where SA comes in) the schedule is different. Around the world, almost all soccer leagues mirror the academic year here, starting in August or September, ending in May, with the summer off. Not MLS. MLS plays from March through to November. The main reason is weather. There are teams in New York, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Columbus, etc etc; it would be incredibly difficult to play when it's snowy and zero degrees outside during the winter months. The other main reason is that MLS has less to compete with during the summer. No basketball, no football, only baseball. They don't want to schedule games the same day as an NFL game, for example, because they think fewer people would attend.

I have seen a few of the Houston Dynamo games on TV; they barely get a crowd at all, let alone in the dead of July and August when it's hot and humid. Hell, they couldn't even sell out their games in the playoffs this season. I can't imagine that things would be very different here in San Antonio, where an 8pm summer kickoff time would still see temps in the 90s.

Some of the USSF presidential candidates think the MLS schedule should be changed, which would bring the player schedules in line with the rest of the world. So the players would be on the same schedule and as such they wouldn't have such long breaks in play before important national team games. So if MLS went to a traditional schedule, maybe one that was closer to the NBA schedule, San Antonio would be a great option; 60s and 70s from November through March and April.

Anyway, that turned out way longer than planned. But I'd keep an eye on the USSF presidential election in the next few weeks. It could spell major changes for MLS and for us getting a team.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 8:38 PM

Cincinnati was officially awarded an MLS franchise today:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/24...ent-2019-start

I say that pretty much puts the final nail in the coffin for San Antonio's bid. There's no way MLS would grant Cincinnati a franchise if Columbus wasn't relocating given the two metro areas are only about 100 miles apart.

Unless some major setback happens in Austin's stadium plans or the city of Columbus actually succeeds in their lawsuit against MLS, it looks like Austin is a lock to get the Crew at this point.

I'm happy for Austin, but disappointed for us. I personally believe both cities could support an MLS team - which would make for an awesome rivalry.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 8:54 PM

I heard something about SAFC joining the Liga MX. Don't have to much info on it, but that would be sweet! Better than MLS!

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:07 AM

The move to get a Mexican League Soccer team is probably a move to scare the MLS. They fear a league with better players and much greater fan loyalty competing in their backyard. Such a team in San Antonio would suck a large part of the fan base the MLS is after away from any team that might play in Austin.

That said all Major League sports in the US are very monopolistic and haven't keep up with population growth and shifting demographics. The NFL, for example, expanded to 32 teams in 2002. Since then the US population has grown nearly 15 percent. Also, they have teams in some very old and small markets (Buffalo being the best example) and too many teams concentrated in others (LA and NY and, until now SF Bay area with two teams each) and no teams in growing newer markets (SA, Portland, Orlando to name a few). But the team owners like it that way because they can limit the "supply" to keep the price of their product high and the players like it for pretty much the same reason.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:33 AM

SAFC would get relegated in the first season if they somehow got into Liga MX.

No way the owners would take that risk.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 2:58 AM

MLS in SA is not going to happen. There are probably more Liga MX fans here than MLS fans. People travel from Monterrey to SA daily. Liga MX wants to expand. Makes complete sense. I'd love the international feel!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:05 AM

The new proposed location for the Austin MLS stadium is right next to the Domain, or as it's described in the article, Austin's "urban core".

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...-proposed.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
The new proposed location for the Austin MLS stadium is right next to the Domain, or as it's described in the article, Austin's "urban core".

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...-proposed.html
If the Domain is Austin's urban core, then Stone Oak is practically Downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio