HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I just heard the latest version of the renovation... to be confirmed :-)

- Safeway will stay in its currently location and renovate and expand back into the current Fabricland location.
- The Awl Shoppe has vacated and is down to it's single Saskatoon location.
- Miramar Restaurant has also vacated and a private liquor store has apparently secured the location.
- The doctors office has closed on the SW side of the mall and has relocated to Stonebridge.
- Prairie Laser is apparently relocating to Stonebridge. Not confirmed.
- Gamma Dynacare has lost the contract for Saskatoon and Regina for blood collection, so their current location in Market Mall will close and LifeLabs, the new collection service, will set up in the old liquor store location.
- Motion Fitness will set up in the old Zellers location which will be subdivided and shared with a new Fabricland location.
- The mini-golf is apparently remaining in the mall.
- Giant Tiger is apparently taking the square footage originally planned for the condo project.
- Apparently the entire facade of the mall is going to be updated at the same time, and I would presume the interior. No word on the Shoppers location as there was talk a couple years ago about closing it in favour of the one in Stonebridge, but haven't heard either way as of yet.
Thanks for the update! Definitely some interesting developments. So the Giant Tiger is going to be standalone in the parking lot or built off the end of the mall into the parking lot? I don't recall how the condo's were going to be setup.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 5:23 PM

a couple of things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
I just heard the latest version of the renovation... to be confirmed :-)

- Safeway will stay in its currently location and renovate and expand back into the current Fabricland location.
- The Awl Shoppe has vacated and is down to it's single Saskatoon location.
- Miramar Restaurant has also vacated and a private liquor store has apparently secured the location.
- The doctors office has closed on the SW side of the mall and has relocated to Stonebridge.
- Prairie Laser is apparently relocating to Stonebridge. Not confirmed.
- Gamma Dynacare has lost the contract for Saskatoon and Regina for blood collection, so their current location in Market Mall will close and LifeLabs, the new collection service, will set up in the old liquor store location.
- Motion Fitness will set up in the old Zellers location which will be subdivided and shared with a new Fabricland location.
- The mini-golf is apparently remaining in the mall.
- Giant Tiger is apparently taking the square footage originally planned for the condo project.
- Apparently the entire facade of the mall is going to be updated at the same time, and I would presume the interior. No word on the Shoppers location as there was talk a couple years ago about closing it in favour of the one in Stonebridge, but haven't heard either way as of yet.
It is Planet Fitness, not motion fitness that is going into the mall
I saw Prairie laser's new location in Stonebridge. they took over the space that simple solutions weightloss was in right behind bnooster juice

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 6:44 PM

Hey I have been wondering if any of you have any insight as to why 240 4th hasnt been developed yet? Of all the office buildings that were proposed I always thought that it was the most likely to go ahead as it was already 25% preleased by First Nations Bank of Canada (I believe). It is in a good location and I have always liked the renders.

I know this is not a very tall building but could still be a nice addition downtown. Does anyone know about this project at all?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Hey I have been wondering if any of you have any insight as to why 240 4th hasnt been developed yet? Of all the office buildings that were proposed I always thought that it was the most likely to go ahead as it was already 25% preleased by First Nations Bank of Canada (I believe). It is in a good location and I have always liked the renders.

I know this is not a very tall building but could still be a nice addition downtown. Does anyone know about this project at all?
didnt they have something for sale? or saying they were going to begin once some funding was in place? cant quite remember

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 3:07 PM

Parcel Y condo developer plans big Broadway project
The Toronto condominium developer building the tower on Parcel Y at River Landing is planning another big project, this time in the Broadway district.

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: January 31, 2018 | Last Updated: January 31, 2018 8:00 AM CST

Quote:
The Toronto condominium developer building the tower on Parcel Y at River Landing is planning another big project, this time in the Broadway district.

Urban Capital, which is building the 126-unit, 20-storey high-rise condo building called No. 1 River Landing, has set its sights on the other bank of the South Saskatchewan River.

The company’s monthly online magazine hinted at plans in its December edition under the heading “Up next in Saskatoon.”

“Hot on the heels of its highly successful launch of No. 1 River Landing, Urban Capital is working on a second development in the ‘Paris of the Prairies,’ ” the blurb says. “Perched on the south bank of the South Saskatchewan River, just off the city’s hip Broadway Avenue, this approximately 100-unit building will bring the elegant modernism of Toronto’s architectsAlliance to this very prominent Saskatoon location.”

Brisk sales of units in No. 1 River Landing prompted the developer to bump the building from 16 to 20 storeys and add an extra 21 units to the original 105. That project, the first phase of plans for a three-tower complex, is expected to be completed in 2019 along with the adjacent Alt Hotel.

Urban Capital declined to release any more information on its Broadway area plans since the project is in its preliminary phase. A similar response was given by architectsAlliance.

The “prominent location” on the riverbank could be referring to a vacant lot northwest of the Broadway Roastery building on Broadway. That lot is owned by Magitra Services Ltd. and is zoned for multi-residential development. The City of Saskatoon has assessed the value of the 7,822-square-foot lot at $385,700.

The lot is located about a block from the site of a contentious seven-storey condo building approved by city council in November. Council approved that 45-unit building to replace an existing church on University Drive despite what appeared to be widespread opposition in the Nutana neighbourhood.

Some who opposed the condo building on University Drive feared it would lead to the development of similar buildings in a neighbourhood that features mainly single-family houses.

ptank@postmedia.com

twitter.com/thinktankSK
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...oadway-project

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 3:43 PM

Nutrien has put up their company logo on the scotia centre "twin towers" if anyone has seen yet

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Nutrien has put up their company logo on the scotia centre "twin towers" if anyone has seen yet
I’ve heard they’re actually pretty full in that tower. This is a perfect time to upgrade to a LEED Gold certified Building?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I’ve heard they’re actually pretty full in that tower. This is a perfect time to upgrade to a LEED Gold certified Building?
I’m sure they are looking. Not sure how many LEED Gold buildings are available in downtown Calgary though.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 6:30 PM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 10:45 PM

More construction photos of Merlis Belsher Place.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 11:11 PM

Excellent video about the ongoing construction at Merlis Belsher Place with a great overview of the various components of the facility.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 7:08 PM

https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...bruary2018.pdf

PDF outlining the upcoming BRT plans that was unveiled at the open house last night , including the routes and placement of the stations as well as their proposed appearance. Interesting stuff..

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morogolus View Post
https://www.saskatoon.ca/sites/defau...bruary2018.pdf

PDF outlining the upcoming BRT plans that was unveiled at the open house last night , including the routes and placement of the stations as well as their proposed appearance. Interesting stuff..
Really nice to seem some concrete details emerging. I'm pleased they're recommending the centre lane configuration for the dedicated running way sections, but what I hadn't realized before is that means the centre planted medians on College, Broadway, and 3rd Ave have to go.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Really nice to seem some concrete details emerging. I'm pleased they're recommending the centre lane configuration for the dedicated running way sections, but what I hadn't realized before is that means the centre planted medians on College, Broadway, and 3rd Ave have to go.
Maybe they will incorperate that into the design or add planted pots like they do down 22nd street and other parts of the city?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2018, 8:05 PM

On February 9th the Sasktel Centre (CUC/Saskatchewan Place) celebrated 30 years of operation.

What's the next step in regards to figuring out if we renovate Sasktel Centre or go new?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:06 AM

I use to own a townhouse in Willowgrove. North Prairie built (like many in Willowgrove). It was ok, nothing spectacular. Sold and moved out to the west coast in 2013. I always viewed the core of Willowgrove as condo/townhouse heavy.

That is the reason I find it odd that there is a petition to stop land in Willowgrove being zoned for condos.....

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...roperty-values

Is there more to this story. It just sounds weird. That plot of land that was originally intended to house a church would be far more useful as a mid-rise condo development.

I don't understand the anti-condo movement in Saskatoon.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
On February 9th the Sasktel Centre (CUC/Saskatchewan Place) celebrated 30 years of operation.

What's the next step in regards to figuring out if we renovate Sasktel Centre or go new?
The release of the study the city is conducting. Apparently it is not due until spring, but I could have sworn the original release date was months ago.

I can't foresee the study outright supporting building a new arena. Something along the lines of "it remains economically unfeasible right now and Sask Place still has several more years of use if renovated" sounds about right.

What I'm really hoping for is that the study outlines what we could expect if they decided to renovate Sask Place. The last round of renovations was done for just under seven million; I would like to see what the city could do with 25 million or so (or even 50 if we're feeling generous). That should make the arena last until we're ready to build a new one.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
The release of the study the city is conducting. Apparently it is not due until spring, but I could have sworn the original release date was months ago.

I can't foresee the study outright supporting building a new arena. Something along the lines of "it remains economically unfeasible right now and Sask Place still has several more years of use if renovated" sounds about right.

What I'm really hoping for is that the study outlines what we could expect if they decided to renovate Sask Place. The last round of renovations was done for just under seven million; I would like to see what the city could do with 25 million or so (or even 50 if we're feeling generous). That should make the arena last until we're ready to build a new one.
As a downtown taxpayer that will definitely see my land values appreciate I’m really hoping that they make their next mega build this downtown arena. By the time they put shovels in the ground everyone will have forgotten about the costs of the Remai, and since we’re developing the BRT now, the arena can be in the center of all planning. If anything now is a more perfect time than 30 years ago to build an arena. Our hospitality industry downtown is so ready and built for it. I could not be more excited for the news that comes out this spring from it.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 7:18 PM

Saskatoon, Regina led national growth rate in 2017
Statistics Canada says Saskatoon grew by 2.8%, Regina grew by 2.4%

CBC News Posted: Feb 13, 2018 11:20 AM CT| Last Updated: Feb 13, 2018 11:20 AM CT

Quote:
Saskatchewan's two largest cities continue to lead the country in population growth.

According to Statistics Canada, Saskatoon and Regina grew by 2.8 per cent and 2.4 per cent respectively as of July 1, 2017.

Saskatoon's population was estimated at 323,800 people, while Regina's was estimated at 253,200.

Saskatoon and Regina's growth rate also led the country in 2016.

Other cities that experienced relatively high levels of growth include Guelph, Ont., Ottawa and Toronto.

This is the first time since 2010 that Calgary and Edmonton didn't make the top five list of fastest growing cities. Statistics Canada attributed their slower growth to the downturn in oil and gas prices.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...rate-1.4533264

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
As a downtown taxpayer that will definitely see my land values appreciate I’m really hoping that they make their next mega build this downtown arena. By the time they put shovels in the ground everyone will have forgotten about the costs of the Remai, and since we’re developing the BRT now, the arena can be in the center of all planning. If anything now is a more perfect time than 30 years ago to build an arena. Our hospitality industry downtown is so ready and built for it. I could not be more excited for the news that comes out this spring from it.
I think we can thank the Rush and large concerts for showing us the issue with the Sasktel Centre. Nothing around it was built as per the original vision, and the arena itself isn't designed to house the capacity it currently has. Renovations might not be feasible because they would likely oust the current tenants for a season or more. It would probably cost more than it's worth.

After hearing that we've had some representatives head to Edmonton to view their new Ice District leads me to believe that downtown is absolutely in the cards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan