HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Omg. it's the Chess piece!

But the picture is cute lol

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:22 AM

I love that this relatively short skyscraper has so much personality that it provides a perfect counterpoint to the prewar gems that fill our skyline.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:02 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Omg. it's the Chess piece!

But the picture is cute lol
Don't have a cow, man!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 10:38 PM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 12:59 AM
JACKinBeantown

(like button)

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:26 PM

Was driving around downtown and thought that I would take some pictures for the forum. Did not have my camera, only my phone. Here are some of the new Frost Building.

Here is one of San Pedro Creek next to Frost.

Last edited by JRG1974; Jul 1, 2019 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:35 PM
JACKinBeantown

azapata07

Opening Day - July 1, 2019

Today, the new Frost Tower opened to the public. The ground level features a mezzanine known as Frost Loft and has a small museum exhibit featuring the history of Frost Bank. You can find a historical timeline, company contributions, and historical items on display.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzZzsUwn9uJ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzZr4JYHFox/

I'm not sure I get the wood bars (do they act as shades somehow?), and the ceiling looks like an afterthought (why didn't they continue the wood beam theme?)... but the outside of the building is astounding.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
azapata07

Opening Day - July 1, 2019

Today, the new Frost Tower opened to the public. The ground level features a mezzanine known as Frost Loft and has a small museum exhibit featuring the history of Frost Bank. You can find a historical timeline, company contributions, and historical items on display.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzZzsUwn9uJ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzZr4JYHFox/

I'm not sure I get the wood bars (do they act as shades somehow?), and the ceiling looks like an afterthought (why didn't they continue the wood beam theme?)... but the outside of the building is astounding.
I can't believe they left the columns like that! Doesn't look good. It's okay for a "loft" but not a bank!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 4:49 PM
Meh

Those are really nice photos, JRG1974.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:11 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yes, they are. I wish there were a like button so I could express my appreciation without adding another reply.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
I can't believe they left the columns like that! Doesn't look good. It's okay for a "loft" but not a bank!
At least it adds some texture. Look how smooth everything else is, even the ceiling!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 9:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

I can see people doing parkour in there.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, they are. I wish there were a like button so I could express my appreciation without adding another reply.
Thanks guys. I was passing through on a beautiful Sunday evening. The sunlight was coming off the building really nicely. Had to take some pics and share.

I don't get to downtown enough.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:33 PM

I was in the area north of downtown and passed by The Towers on Park Lane (1 Towers Parks Ln., San Antonio, Texas 78209), and got to thinking; is this building really the same height as the new Frost Tower?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:50 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I was in the area north of downtown and passed by The Towers on Park Lane (1 Towers Parks Ln., San Antonio, Texas 78209), and got to thinking; is this building really the same height as the new Frost Tower?
I believe it's 20 feet shorter. But yes, it's in the same ballpark.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 6:06 PM
Meh

Quote:
I had emailed them years ago (like 15 years ago) asking for the height, and they told me 368 feet, but I really don't believe that height. I was up in the Tower of the Americas last weekend (taking photos, Jack), and I had a good view of both The Broadway San Antonio and the Towers on Park Lane. I was also told that the height of The Broadway is 279 feet. Those two buildings seem to be very close in height when viewed from afar. I've only ever been able to measure The Towers on Park Lane as 278 feet tall with Google Earth.

Also, there's no way a 22-story residential building could be 368 feet tall. The Broadway, for example, is 20 floors and 279 feet. 2 floors more would not be that much of a gain. Newer buildings now are also trending taller with relatively the same amount of floors as older buildings with the same number of floors. There's a lot more technology (cables) going into them now than there used to be thanks to the internet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 6:37 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I had emailed them years ago (like 15 years ago) asking for the height, and they told me 368 feet, but I really don't believe that height. I was up in the Tower of the Americas last weekend (taking photos, Jack), and I had a good view of both The Broadway San Antonio and the Towers on Park Lane. I was also told that the height of The Broadway is 279 feet. Those two buildings seem to be very close in height when viewed from afar. I've only ever been able to measure The Towers on Park Lane as 278 feet tall with Google Earth.

Also, there's no way a 22-story residential building could be 368 feet tall. The Broadway, for example, is 20 floors and 279 feet. 2 floors more would not be that much of a gain. Newer buildings now are also trending taller with relatively the same amount of floors as older buildings with the same number of floors. There's a lot more technology (cables) going into them now than there used to be thanks to the internet.
Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:

Makes much sense. Insightful. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 3:12 AM

I tried to get two pics from Googlemaps, but apparently they haven't updated recently, the area around the Frost tower.

For fun, got to Googlemaps, start at City Hall, and make the left on N. Flores, and you see the tower, but continue, and it disappears.

That said, I'm not sure that the Towers at Park Lane are as short as we may suspect:

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4631...7i16384!8i8192

Not scientific, and if Google ever updates to includes the Frost tower within the same vicinity, we might be surprised.

ETA: I always thought the TaPL would look good DT, but I also like being able see it from points all around town, especially on points East coming into town.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 3:30 AM

Quote:

Intuitively, I'd agree. Also, the Broadway seems to be on lower ground. Did they say 368' from the ground, or from River level? I know it sounds like a funny question, given the Towers' distance from the river, but you never know.

Also, I don't know the difference in "stories" relative to height, or the difference between residential and office, but the Frost Tower is listed as 23 stories, and 386 feet tall. Would a 22 story 368 foot tall tower be completely impossible?

Last edited by Restless One; Jul 19, 2019 at 3:56 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio