HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 1, 2006, 9:01 PM
Content provider

incredible height for that spot

Old Posted Jul 2, 2006, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte
This has been happening since WWII. But obviously the trend continues; we lost one of the few remaining cast-iron facades on Wabash in 2004 without so much as a whimper from the public (now a surface lot), Wm. LeBaron Jenney's Isabella building came down in 2004 (now a surface lot), and numerous other less important buildings are falling regularly, contributing to a lessening of the original character of the neighborhood. Generally, these have been replaced by more "architectural" buildings, but still, I don't think anyone wants to lose that cool industrial Chicago character altogether.

There is one alley with a cool bridge over it just east of Motor Row, between Michigan and Indiana around 23rd street. I'm sure there are still others too.
Yeah I noticed some recent demos, which is disappointing especially when the replacement is a surface lot. I think one of Chicago's neatest architectural characteristics are the neighborhoods that proudly display their evolution over the decades with a variety not only styles but uses (industrial/commercial/residential). For example, much of Near North and Gold Coast, increasingly South Loop, the Loop itselfI think it's sad when this is lost forever, as has basically happened in much of the West Loop, and lower west side (little italy, maxwell street, etc). But to lose one facade on Mich Ave. to be replaced with a potential gem like Park Michigan, doesn't keep me up at night, considering how much of the Mich Ave. streetwall has been preserved.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2006, 6:56 PM

So with the intial renderings of this one out, I can't think of unseen renderings of the next big project us Chi forumers are anticipating.

The only thing that comes to mind is 500 N LSD (which I don't think will be on this scale). Am I forgetting something?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2006, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch
So with the intial renderings of this one out, I can't think of unseen renderings of the next big project us Chi forumers are anticipating.

The only thing that comes to mind is 500 N LSD (which I don't think will be on this scale). Am I forgetting something?
The Jahn tower on the river.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2006, 8:55 PM

2XX West Washington, the 50-ish story residential tower by SCB where demo equipment now is slowly milling about. But then this should be on another thread.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2006, 9:16 PM

^^yes, not this thread. I'll ask in chicago >12 storeys

Old Posted Jul 3, 2006, 12:59 AM

Does this building have a website yet? I'd like to register for more info. I'm really liking it

Old Posted Jul 3, 2006, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b
Does this building have a website yet? I'd like to register for more info. I'm really liking it
No website yet. Someone at the meeting asked the same thing and the developer said he felt it was inappropriate to have one until the public meeting process was complete.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2006, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
No website yet. Someone at the meeting asked the same thing and the developer said he felt it was inappropriate to have one until the public meeting process was complete.
For what it's worth; www .parkmichigan. com is registered to a Kathleen O'Herren in Chicago. She is a Koenig&Strey marketing manager. Here is some info on her:

http://www.ksgmac.com/People/Detail.cfm?UserID=20187

Last edited by Loopy; Jul 3, 2006 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2006, 6:31 AM

dude, that is too much information on this poor real estate agent who only registered the domain name for them. you think someone should pester her at home to get info on this building?!?

EDIT: better now after the deletions.

the only relevant information there was that (1) they seem to have picked K&S and (2) this name has been registered for about a year.

Last edited by denizen467; Jul 4, 2006 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 1:29 AM

Wow. What an incredibly handsome building. Chicago adds another. Incredible!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 3:21 AM

I had to read this twice to make sure that they were talking about the same meeting I was at. That's all I'm going to say, as I've engaged in enough polemics on this issue.

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...05&TM=83522.05

High-rise hassles
Is the Park Michigan too tall for Boul Mich?

By KATE MESCH, Medill News Service

SOUTH LOOP
Grumbling over the South Loop’s newest planned high-rise, the Park Michigan at 830 S. Michigan Ave., lingered after a neighborhood forum at Jones College Prep June 29, despite attempts by the architect and developer to quiet concerns that the building will mar the community’s skyline.

Unveiling their plans for the construction project, architect George Pappageorge and developer William Barr, president of Renaissant Development Group LLC, gave no indication that they would alter the building’s 80-story design or delay a late-2007 groundbreaking for the project, which has the support of the Department of Planning and Development and 2nd Ward Alderman Madeline Haithcock.

During the forum, Pappageorge and developer Barr told the sparsely filled auditorium that the Park Michigan will not pose an intrusive presence.

"We’re trying to … create something that’s very sympathetic to the entire neighborhood," Pappageorge said.

The sleek residential tower, set to debut in 2010, will rise far above neighboring buildings in the South Loop, which borders Grant Park. With 376 units ranging from one to four bedrooms each, the building’s base will contain six units per floor and will taper to two units per floor.

"The building responds to the image of a skyscraper where it gets narrower as it gets closer to the sky," Pappageorge said.

However, not all present were convinced. Because there are currently no buildings matching the proposed 80-story height of the Park Michigan, many community residents questioned whether or not the tower would block their views of Grant Park.

Peter Ziv, a 15-year resident of the South Loop expressed disgust at both the tower’s height and the long shadow it will cast. "How does an 800-foot building match anything close to the character of this historic district?" he asked.

Dennis McClendon, board member of the South Loop Neighbors, says Ziv was shouted down as a "NIMBY" by a group of architecture students who later identified themselves as a group dubbed Citizens for Better Planning. McClendon, who has voiced opposition to the high-rise project, said that he didn’t recognize the architecture buffs from the neighborhood, and said they loudly supported the project.

But Pappageorge wasted no time addressing concern that the building will be much taller than the Michigan Avenue landmark district is zoned for. "There’s been some discussion that the building violates principles established by the city—but actually it doesn’t," he said.

Barr said the building complies with the city’s zoning ordinance.

Because the high-rise will be situated behind the YWCA, the structure will be set off from Michigan Avenue. "When you’re on Michigan Avenue, you won’t even know the building is there," said Pappageorge, who calls the tower "slender, glassy, and pure."

Others expressed apprehension over the increased traffic that the building might bring to the neighborhood. Barr said that though studies will be conducted in due process, his firm has not yet estimated the tower’s impact on area traffic.

Haithcock, whose ward covers the South Loop area, responded to objections from the audience, saying she was doubtful at first, and is approving the project only after long deliberation.

"They had to really sell me on it," she said. "I don’t do anything without asking the community if they want it," Haithcock said. "Regardless of whether I’m your alderman or not, the buildings are coming, so don’t blame me."

The new high-rise will feature a 34,000-square-foot retail center planned to house a grocery store, a spa, and an upscale restaurant. In addition, there will be nearly 500 parking spaces, including 75 in an underground lot accessible to the public. This additional parking is intended to offset the loss of spaces that are currently in a block the building will occupy.

Other amenities the developers cited include landscaped decks, "green" roofs, and an 11th-floor outdoor swimming pool, all visible from surrounding buildings.

The Park Michigan will be located behind the old YWCA building and, as part of the project’s plan, the builders will restore the structure’s historical facade to its original red brick color and complete detailing.

—Haydn Bush contributed to this report

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 3:26 AM
THAT Guy

Ha, I just finished reading that.

Not the best way to bring CBP out into the public, especially since no one could represent our side in this story and show what Ziv really stands for.

But I'm sort of glad that the name is in the air. It shows that we are the anti-NIMBY and are finally willing to speak up, and by dubbing us as "architecture students" we seem like the knowledgeable ones.

Last edited by spyguy; Jul 6, 2006 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 4:31 AM

Regarding the recent Chicago Journal piece; there is also a letter to the editor from a resident of 910 S. Michigan titled "Tall and thin beats low and squat every time" It's a pretty good piece, and longer than the article on the front page. It's not available in the online version of the paper, so I will scan it and post it in the morning.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 6:53 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy
Regarding the recent Chicago Journal piece; there is also a letter to the editor from a resident of 910 S. Michigan titled "Tall and thin beats low and squat every time" It's a pretty good piece, and longer than the article on the front page. It's not available in the online version of the paper, so I will scan it and post it in the morning.
That is very good. I would be nice if some of the forumers who live in the area could also write to the CJ in response to this "coverage." They will definitely publish any decent letter that comes their way, but it's better yet if it comes from the neighborhood.

PS I can't stand that "didn't recognize anyone from the neighborhood" BS. I never understood why it was so wrong for someone from the city, regardless of where he or she lives, to take an active interest in seeing any neighborhood make itself better.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 11:50 AM

Dennis McClendon, board member of the South Loop Neighbors, says Ziv was shouted down as a "NIMBY" by a group of architecture students who later identified themselves as a group dubbed Citizens for Better Planning. McClendon, who has voiced opposition to the high-rise project, said that he didn’t recognize the architecture buffs from the neighborhood, and said they loudly supported the project.

FUCK...

The person who shouted NIMBY isn't even a part of the group.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 12:27 PM

^ Write a quick email saying so. Dont let them bunch you together and screw up your name before you even get a chance to get started. But then again, the South Loop Neighbors arent going to be reasonable about anything regarding damn near everything so Im not even sure it matters.

Ive always wondered if neighborhood groups, NIMBY groups and the like watched SSC and SSP in particular for news on future projects.

Onward and upward...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 4:09 PM

"PS I can't stand that "didn't recognize anyone from the neighborhood" BS. I never understood why it was so wrong for someone from the city, regardless of where he or she lives, to take an active interest in seeing any neighborhood make itself better."

Well, right or wrong, I think you guys should recognize that you're going to have a lot more credibility if you cultivate local membership (and, ideally, leadership). Especially since you can pretty much focus on four neighborhoods (South Loop, West Loop, Streeterville, River North), I don't think it would be that hard. Send out tentacles. Put out fliers.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 4:15 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshkeoto
"PS I can't stand that "didn't recognize anyone from the neighborhood" BS. I never understood why it was so wrong for someone from the city, regardless of where he or she lives, to take an active interest in seeing any neighborhood make itself better."

Well, right or wrong, I think you guys should recognize that you're going to have a lot more credibility if you cultivate local membership (and, ideally, leadership). Especially since you can pretty much focus on four neighborhoods (South Loop, West Loop, Streeterville, River North), I don't think it would be that hard. Send out tentacles. Put out fliers.
You are right, but it annoys me nonetheless.

Just for the record, in case anyone decides to read this and gets the wrong idea, I am not a member of CBP.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2006, 5:39 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
The person who shouted NIMBY isn't even a part of the group.
Your right Bvictor i'm not part of your group. What I am is a property holding resident from the South Loop who isn't going to let someone highjack a meeting for their own purposes.

You may not be old enough to know about Saul Alinsky community organizing tatics but if the garbage doesn't get picked up you collect a truck load of it and dump it in the alderman's yard and watch how city services improve. I don't intend on allowing Ziv to take control of meetings by ranting. There are plenty of voices in the South Loop to raise up and shout him down, letting him and his organization know that there is a vocal counter balance to his NIBY hystaria.

I appriciate the the fact that you and members of your group came prepared with density statistics and other very thought out arguments in support of this building. Your fledgling organization does not want to be associated in the media with shouting someone down. I understand that.

"Any press is good press" is a slogan that describes the phenomenon of sensationalism, in the Mass media as being positive in the sense that it gets publicity. Thus even coverage of a scandal or a controversy can help sell a movie or increase a person's or organizations celebrity

As long as they spell the name right and all publicity is good publicity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive