HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 9:20 PM

They'd be foolish to throw away that much of their fortune on Vancouver real estate. Point Grey Road has great views but is not particularly private. They'd be better off in West Vancouver or even Shaughnessy.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 10:38 PM

I doubt they'll be buying a $36 million home anytime soon unless they sign some great deals in the U.S.

World News January 18, 2020 / 11:50 AM / Updated 40 minutes ago

UK's Harry and Meghan to drop titles and retire as working royals

Michael Holden, Andy Bruce

LONDON (Reuters) - Prince Harry and his wife Meghan will no longer be working members of Britain’s monarchy and they will pay their own way in life as they embark on an independent future, Buckingham Palace said on Saturday.

They will also no longer use their “Royal Highness” titles, the palace said in an announcement that sought to end turmoil in the monarchy sparked earlier this month when the couple announced they wanted to reduce their official duties and spend more time in North America.

The queen and senior family members met last week to discuss the situation and have been in “constructive and friendly” discussions with officials on how this stepping back would work in practice for Harry, 35, and his American wife, former actress Meghan, 38.

"Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much loved members of my family," Queen Elizabeth said in a statement here issued by the palace, referring to the couple's baby son.

“I recognize the challenges they have experienced as a result of intense scrutiny over the last two years and support their wish for a more independent life.”

The queen said she was “particularly proud” of how quickly Meghan had become one of the family. The couple married in May 2018 in a lavish ceremony at her home in Windsor Castle, west of London in front of a global TV audience of millions.

Harry will remain a prince and the couple will keep their titles of Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they begin a new life split between North America and Britain, but they will not take part in any future ceremonial events or royal tours.

Royal commentators said it amounted to an “abdication” from the royal family and showed that under the warm words, the queen had taken a firm and decisive line.

“It is harder to think of a much cleaner break than this. Harry and Meghan are still members of the Royal Family, but they are effectively no longer royal”, the BBC’s royal correspondent, Jonny Dymond, said.

Meghan is currently in Canada with Archie and Harry is expected to join her soon.

A palace spokeswoman said the couple would no longer receive public money and that they would repay the cost of refurbishing their cottage in Windsor, which official figures show amounted to 2.4 million pounds ($3.1 million).

Full story at https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1ZH0K4

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 10:46 PM

So, Mr Harry Mountabatten-Windsor and Mrs Meaghan Mountbatten-Windsor in Canada? Or will she revert to Markle?

Actually, it seems like much less than they were hoping for. I wonder what the financial arrangements will look like, beyond being off the Sovereign Grant and repaying the renovation cost at Frogmore?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
So, Mr Harry Mountabatten-Windsor and Mrs Meaghan Mountbatten-Windsor in Canada? Or will she revert to Markle?

Actually, it seems like much less than they were hoping for. I wonder what the financial arrangements will look like, beyond being off the Sovereign Grant and repaying the renovation cost at Frogmore?
Harry will still be a prince and it sounds like they'll still be able to use Sussex but that hasn't been confirmed. This all comes into effect in the spring but no exact date was given. Apparently daddy will still offer them private financial support.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 12:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Harry will still be a prince and it sounds like they'll still be able to use Sussex but that hasn't been confirmed. This all comes into effect in the spring but no exact date was given. Apparently daddy will still offer them private financial support.
Indeed. And yes, they will still be the Duke & Duchess of Sussex. The only thing they are losing is the HRH (and access to public funds).

Actually, since they will no longer be HRH's, this makes the decision by Canada regarding whether or not they deserve government security protection a lot easier. If they are no longer officially working members of the Royal Family, then I don't see why Canada is obligated to provide them with a security detail.

I imagine though that the RCMP and CSIS will still keep an eye out for any threatening internet postings or suspicious activity.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 1:01 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed. And yes, they will still be the Duke & Duchess of Sussex. The only thing they are losing is the HRH (and access to public funds).

Actually, since they will no longer be HRH's, this makes the decision by Canada regarding whether or not they deserve government security protection a lot easier. If they are no longer officially working members of the Royal Family, then I don't see why Canada is obligated to provide them with a security detail.

I imagine though that the RCMP and CSIS will still keep an eye out for any threatening internet postings or suspicious activity.
They aren't at least to the insane degree needed by "royal standards"... It's a great compromise and I am just flattered they are choosing the relative sanity and tranquility of Canada. Is Canada perfect? Hell to the no, but considering the options...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
They aren't at least to the insane degree needed by "royal standards"... It's a great compromise and I am just flattered they are choosing the relative sanity and tranquility of Canada. Is Canada perfect? Hell to the no, but considering the options...
They haven't decided where they are going to live while in North America. If they're going to be paying most of their own way from now on I can see them factoring taxes into the situation as well as opportunities. I also don't think Canada would be very tranquil for them if they actually live here.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 1:43 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

North Saanich makes sense because their neighbours who want their tranquility will shoo the tabloids away on their behalf. B)

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 2:16 AM
I am a typical

Another good option for them would be Thunder Bay. Last place in the world anyone would think to look for someone with money.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 2:34 AM

How about Conrad Black's old Bridle Path pile? It may be for sale again. At 23,000 square feet on six acres, there'd be room for Archie to run around...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:49 AM

Quote:
How about Conrad Black's old Bridle Path pile? It may be for sale again. At 23,000 square feet on six acres, there'd be room for Archie to run around...
Poor Lord Haw Haw of Crossharbour is about to be homeless. Maybe he and Babs can move in with Rex Murphy.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 2:54 PM
recession proof

Long term I don't see a Virgo (Harry) and a Leo (Meghan) working. They'll be divorced by 2022. Meghan will end up back in LA and Harry back in London.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Long term I don't see a Virgo (Harry) and a Leo (Meghan) working. They'll be divorced by 2022. Meghan will end up back in LA and Harry back in London.
I don't know. They're likely to have another rug rat by then. Her clock is ticking ....

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:12 PM
recession proof

Ok so birth tourism is a thing in BC. But the end result will be divorce. Harry will find another exotic bird to bang ...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:19 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
They actually came from the same star clock sun house and their water molecules vibrate at the same frequency which is incredibly rare, they'll not only be married until the end of their lives but they'll both live into their 90s as well. They will have 3 children and the third one will be an astronaut. This has been told to me by the crystals.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Ok so birth tourism is a thing in BC. But the end result will be divorce. Harry will find another exotic bird to bang ...
Harry is giving up a lot to satisfy Meghan, and this may yet not be enough to protect her from the tabloids. I think eventual divorce is a very real risk.

Harry however is a pretty decent guy. I don't think he will be in any rush to "find another exotic bird to bang".

If their marriage breaks down, I agree that Harry will likely return to England, and might even take up his royal responsibilities again, although he has his own personal problems and grievances with the tabloid press.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad;8804711[B
]Harry is giving up a lot to satisfy Meghan, [/B]and this may yet not be enough to protect her from the tabloids. I think eventual divorce is a very real risk.

Harry however is a pretty decent guy. I don't think he will be in any rush to "find another exotic bird to bang".

If their marriage breaks down, I agree that Harry will likely return to England, and might even take up his royal responsibilities again, although he has his own personal problems and grievances with the tabloid press.
Or, he's achieving what he always really wanted, implementing a process he initiated by choosing a wife who would help him to get to where he wanted to be.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 4:38 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They actually came from the same star clock sun house and their water molecules vibrate at the same frequency which is incredibly rare, they'll not only be married until the end of their lives but they'll both live into their 90s as well. They will have 3 children and the third one will be an astronaut. This has been told to me by the crystals.
You've been doing your research.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 4:57 PM
recession proof

In addition to my astrological-based prediction: Meghan is a Rooster and Harry a Rat in Chinese astrology: not compatible long term!

In the upcoming year of the rat Meghan may be roosting on her own.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Or, he's achieving what he always really wanted, implementing a process he initiated by choosing a wife who would help him to get to where he wanted to be.
This seems more likely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada