HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 1:56 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
If the Domain is Austin's urban core, then Stone Oak is practically Downtown.
Maybe y'all's interpretation of that is "laughable." Mine is different: the Domain actually is on the edge of Austin's urban core and, over time, will be further integrated with that core as a distinct node of urbanity.

In rebuttal to your point about Stone Oak:

Stone Oak is ~17 miles from downtown driving down 281, with a substantial number of non-grid extremely low-density neighborhoods between the two locations.

The Domain is ~11 miles from downtown driving down MoPac, with a grid or semi-grid the entire way and multiple intensely/densely developed or developing neighborhoods and corridors between the two locations: Capitol Complex, West Campus, Midtown/Triangle, Highland, Burnet Rd. and N. Lamar Blvd.

A better comparison would be to say that the Domain is akin to the Medical Center, on the edge of the pre-1970s era street grid before suburban street patterns began to take hold, which allows it to integrate into a redeveloped urban fabric if/when the development pressure exists. San Antonio's development pressure isn't exerting itself in that direction from downtown, and is instead currently focused more singularly on downtown and midtown revitalization and redevelopment with a focus toward its favored quarter (Alamo Heights).

I don't understand why some San Antonians are so adamant about getting a soccer team just to stick it to Austin. We already have a major league sports team here, let Austin have theirs. And don't tell me that Austin is getting it in a backhanded way by stealing it from Columbus and so they don't deserve it when the Spurs were stolen from Dallas. Besides, this whole "city v. city" stuff is beyond grating. I tend to think of the region as a single unit of ~5 million people anchored by two major cities, just like Dallas and Fort Worth. Dallas doesn't have all of the sports teams for their region, and neither should San Antonio. Don't be bitter. Be happy that Austin is getting an MLS team for San Antonians to enjoy. Austinites were never bitter that San Antonio got an NBA team, as evidenced by the fact that the Austin market is dominated by the Spurs and Spurs fans. The development league team is even in Austin. Ergo, Austin getting an MLS team will be nothing but good for San Antonio in the long-run.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Maybe y'all's interpretation of that is "laughable." Mine is different: the Domain actually is on the edge of Austin's urban core and, over time, will be further integrated with that core as a distinct node of urbanity.

Stone Oak is ~17 miles from downtown driving down 281, with a substantial number of non-grid extremely low-density neighborhoods between the two locations.

The Domain is ~11 miles from downtown driving down MoPac, with a grid or semi-grid the entire way and multiple intensely/densely developed or developing neighborhoods and corridors between the two locations: Capitol Complex, West Campus, Midtown/Triangle, Highland, Burnet Rd. and N. Lamar Blvd.

A better comparison would be to say that the Domain is akin to the Medical Center, on the edge of the pre-1970s era street grid before suburban street patterns began to take hold, which allows it to integrate into a redeveloped urban fabric if/when the development pressure exists. San Antonio's development pressure isn't exerting itself in that direction from downtown, and is instead currently focused more singularly on downtown and midtown revitalization and redevelopment with a focus toward its favored quarter (Alamo Heights).

I don't understand why some San Antonians are so adamant about getting a soccer team just to stick it to Austin. We already have a major league sports team here, let Austin have theirs. And don't tell me that Austin is getting it in a backhanded way by stealing it from Columbus and so they don't deserve it when the Spurs were stolen from Dallas. Besides, this whole "city v. city" stuff is beyond grating. I tend to think of the region as a single unit of ~5 million people anchored by two major cities, just like Dallas and Fort Worth. Dallas doesn't have all of the sports teams for their region, and neither should San Antonio. Don't be bitter. Be happy that Austin is getting an MLS team for San Antonians to enjoy. Austinites were never bitter that San Antonio got an NBA team, as evidenced by the fact that the Austin market is dominated by the Spurs and Spurs fans. The development league team is even in Austin. Ergo, Austin getting an MLS team will be nothing but good for San Antonio in the long-run.
You completely lost me when you said The Domain is on the edge of Austin’s core.

It’s not true, not even close. All most all of the most dense areas of the country are nowhere near urbanization for 11 miles.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:10 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I tend to take a more expansive view of what is urban, as do most Americans in their daily lives. There are significant street facing developments fronting corridors throughout the distance between downtown and the Domain, and that isn't to speak of what is currently built at the Domain itself nor what it is in the pipeline for the immediate vicinity. This area is increasingly urban and poised to be more so in the immediate and medium-term future.

Yes, some (not all) of those neighborhoods in between downtown and the Domain are filled with single-family homes, but they are increasingly in a "walkable" setting because of that infill development along the corridors.

One other point: The Spurs stadium isn't, by your definition, in the urban core either.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:23 AM

Moved to "Off topic thread".

Last edited by Restless 1; Jun 1, 2018 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:05 AM

Quote:
I tend to take a more expansive view of what is urban, as do most Americans in their daily lives.
Do they?

Quote:
One other point: The Spurs stadium isn't, by your definition, in the urban core either.
It's not.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Be happy that Austin is getting an MLS team for San Antonians to enjoy. Austinites were never bitter that San Antonio got an NBA team, as evidenced by the fact that the Austin market is dominated by the Spurs and Spurs fans. The development league team is even in Austin. Ergo, Austin getting an MLS team will be nothing but good for San Antonio in the long-run.
You don't understand how soccer works. Soccer is one of the most tribal sports in the world. I could never support a team from Austin. I barely support our USL team as it is on the other side of town from me. We need promotion and relegation in the US. That is the only way a team from SA will get to division 1.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Santo View Post
You don't understand how soccer works. Soccer is one of the most tribal sports in the world. I could never support a team from Austin. I barely support our USL team as it is on the other side of town from me.
That may be true everywhere else in the world, but it really isn't here in the States. In pretty much every other country (except Australia maybe), soccer is seen as a sport followed by the so-called working classes. Whereas in the States it's very middle-class with a lot of support from young/"hip" millenials. Take a look at what happened with all these new expansion teams, with NYCFC and New York Red Bulls for example. Do you honestly think that supporters of a team that didn't even exist a few years ago really give a damn about a rivalry with Red Bulls? Of course not. It's all fake. I remember seeing a NYCFC match a few years back where they were handing out songsheets so the supporters would know what to sing. What a joke.

Sports in the US is very consumer based, fans are seen as customers, whereas in other countries they're seen as *supporters* of their local soccer team. It's why when teams do poorly in the US, a lot of times the stadia/arenas are left empty. People don't support the teams, they just want to be entertained. So if your team sucks then you won't go. In comparison to a lot of soccer clubs around the world, hell, even if they get relegated they still fill their stadia.

So yeah. The way soccer works in other places isn't the same as the way that it works here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Santo View Post
We need promotion and relegation in the US. That is the only way a team from SA will get to division 1.
This I do agree with. But we're not getting promotion/relegation anytime soon, so you can kiss that goodbye.

I like the idea of getting a team in Liga MX. I doubt it would happen as any team we get would be destroyed by the Mexican clubs, but the influx of money would be huge and could be a big boon for the city. I think a better option might be to join to start out in the second division in Mexico and then once the team would be stable, push for promotion and hope to get into Liga MX.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 12:54 AM

BTW, you torpedoed your argument with "distinct node of urbanity". It might very well be, but that does not mean it's integrated into the urban core.

Or is Austin going for an urban core that extends from Georgetown, to points South of Ben White?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 3:25 PM

I thought the MLS was demanding downtown stadiums only? So much for that!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 4:29 AM

My Two Cents...

Quote:
I tend to agree with this....support Austin as much as they support the Spurs! I suggest we put our effort into the NFL. Hell, I'd give Austin major league Baseball if pro Football lands in San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:

The Domain is also connected to downtown with rail also.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:35 PM

"Turn off the lights the party's over" Austin wins MLS San Antonio left behind once again.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 10:44 PM

Much rather have the Liga MX anyway

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:18 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
"Turn off the lights the party's over" Austin wins MLS San Antonio left behind once again.
Austin didn't "win" anything. The owner of the Crew wanted to move the team to Austin. Austin didn't ask for a team. Heck, it was specifically stated is a clause in the ownership agreement executed in 2013 (I think) when PSV took over the team in Columbus.

Since the MLS owns every team, and agreed to the clause, they knew they wanted to be in Austin long before SA even put an expansion bid together. The MLS simply would rather be in Austin than SA. And that's the fact.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

Who needs soccer.....
We have the Spurs from the NBA....
One of the three MAJOR Sports Associations...
NBA, NFL and MLB

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And San Antonio did not lose out
Sorry!

Austin got chosen....

I think you are trying to instigate......

Good luck....

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Austin Breakfast Tacos

Really piss off SA soccer fans. lol
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1781

ROTFLOLMFAO
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:20 AM

Well, San Antonio did lose out on the last round of MLS expansion sides, to Cincinnati, Miami and Nashville. The crew moving to Austin though isn't really an expansion, though, just relocation.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, honestly. The quality of the MLS is generally quite poor, especially when compared to other countries. And attendance is very hit and miss. Especially in Texas, they can barely get anyone to go to the games in Houston and Dallas.

I would absolutely love to see a Liga MX team in San Antonio. If we had to choose between MLS or Liga MX it's got to be the latter, every day of the week. Far more exposure, more money, and it would bring a real international flavor to the city, and hopefully even a shiny new stadium in the core.

The Spurs situation is interesting. Now that they're probably going to start to suck, or at least be mediocre, I wonder if there are big changes ahead. Attendance is middle of the road for the NBA, the ownership group is in turmoil, the coach is probably going to call it quits soon, and players don't want to live in San Antonio. That combined with the AT&T Center lease being up around 2030, if the Spurs can't get a new arena, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved. To be honest I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world. It would force city leaders to start fixing things instead of doping everyone up on Go Spurs Go fever to distract them from how crappy a lot of the city is.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 6:59 AM

https://woai.iheart.com/content/2018...cer-franchise/

Quote:
With Major League Soccer appeared poised to bypass San Antonio in favor of locating a franchise in Austin, Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, who has led the fight for big time pro soccer in San Antonio, is floating an intriguing possibililty--how about San Antonio having a franchise in Mexico's top soccer league?
Give the Alamodome a purpose and would boost Riverwalk tourism.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:26 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Well, San Antonio did lose out on the last round of MLS expansion sides, to Cincinnati, Miami and Nashville. The crew moving to Austin though isn't really an expansion, though, just relocation.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, honestly. The quality of the MLS is generally quite poor, especially when compared to other countries. And attendance is very hit and miss. Especially in Texas, they can barely get anyone to go to the games in Houston and Dallas.

I would absolutely love to see a Liga MX team in San Antonio. If we had to choose between MLS or Liga MX it's got to be the latter, every day of the week. Far more exposure, more money, and it would bring a real international flavor to the city, and hopefully even a shiny new stadium in the core.

The Spurs situation is interesting. Now that they're probably going to start to suck, or at least be mediocre, I wonder if there are big changes ahead. Attendance is middle of the road for the NBA, the ownership group is in turmoil, the coach is probably going to call it quits soon, and players don't want to live in San Antonio. That combined with the AT&T Center lease being up around 2030, if the Spurs can't get a new arena, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved. To be honest I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world. It would force city leaders to start fixing things instead of doping everyone up on Go Spurs Go fever to distract them from how crappy a lot of the city is.
You are very off base.

The Spurs attendance is 6th out of 30 with 98% attendance.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 2:01 PM

Yea, Spurs aren't going anywhere! That was probably a "bait" statement. I think he just wanted reaction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio