HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Car versus Other
Take my car 100% everywhere I go 25 35.71%
Take my car 50-75% 15 21.43%
Take my car 25-50% 8 11.43%
Take my car 0-25% 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 6:33 PM
ILYR

Car versus Other

Recently a study came out relating to how often we use our cars to get places. Some highlights were: 77 per cent of Edmonton residents and 75 per cent of those living in Calgary relied on their cars to make all their trips on the day. Those least likely to use their cars for every trip were people living in Montreal (65 per cent), Toronto (66 per cent) and Vancouver (69 per cent). Seventy-four per cent of those in Quebec City, 72 per cent of Winnipeggers and 72 per cent of those living in Ottawa-Gatineau used cars for every trip.

So how do the people in this forum compare?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 6:49 PM
What could go wrong?

No sense in lying - car 100%

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:00 PM
working stiff

Around 40 percent car/60 percent bus, although that changes during the summer months --> 100% car during summer 2007 (work full time, inadequate bus service).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 7:49 PM

I only drive once a week, to visit family and friends in Regina, the rest of the week I walk everywhere. I only live about 2 blocks from school

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:15 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I voted for the 75% option, but truthfully I probably drive 95% of the time. I only take the bus if i'm going to the U of W or somewhere else downtown.

What I find is that increasingly my travels are taking me between suburbs such as North Kildonan to Fort Garry. More importantly, these are often trips where it would be impractical to take Transit. For example, I can drive between NK and Fort Garry in 30 mins or I can spend an hour plus on the bus.

The choice is pretty easy to make when i'm getting up in the morning.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:18 PM

Winter bikes - they last one, maybee 2 seasons. I keep one in OP for going from home to the El, and another in the garage of my downtown office.

$5

$20

For the longer trips

And yes - a minivan.

( didn't notice this was in the Canada thread - well it is just to the right of me in these shots )

Last edited by harryc; Jan 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:03 AM
Movin' on up

I typically only use my car on the weekends, with the exception of the past week, as I am currently dropping off resumes at various locations looking for p/t work. I have a UPass that I pay $75/semester and have unlimited transit access on busses and the LRT. I take full advantage of it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:16 AM

Seeing as how my car is stored during the winter, I walk everywhere, although I'll get a ride if I'm heading somewhere far. In the summer, it's close to 50/50 between my car and my bike. I guess living and working downtown and going to school in St-B gives me an advantage

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:38 AM

Car less than 25% of trips. Walk over 75%. Public Transit 0%. Living and working downtown is great. When you dont drive it is almost fun to hear people bitch about high gas prices. I also love the snowy days hearing about how bad the roads are and seeing all the cars in the ditch on the 12:00 news after walking 5 minutes home for lunch.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 1:23 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
( didn't notice this was in the Canada thread - well it is just to the right of me in these shots )
Great picts! Your minivan has a fabulous view of Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 1:38 AM
Back from the dead

Never. I don't even own a car anymore although I do have a license (and I'm rated to drive any five ton truck with air brakes) I just don't need a car at all. For me it would be nothing but a complete luxury and even if I wanted to I'd probably only use it maybe four or five times a month if that.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 3:58 AM

Subway during the week, car for weekend trips

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 5:29 AM
Youth of a Nation

ive never needed a car, but seeing how, the times when i do need it or would need it, it would be when i live in a small city with limited bus services. as compared to larger centres, i would rely on transit. so pretty much driving would be rounded off to ZERO per cent. with 95 per cent of the time walking in small cities, and about 35% walking in larger cities. be like forrest gump and one day just run for no apparent reason, just bc i was bored.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 5:52 AM
I am a typical

I don't have a licence or a car. I get a ride to get groceries once a week if I'm lucky, but other than that its entirely public transit and manpower for me.

..sorry, "person power".

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 6:42 AM

I voted car 100% of the time right now. Which is true for the most part, although I do a very considerable amount of walking, which is more a function of lifestyle then choice.

I'm not necessarily proud of my reliance on a car so much. However, my scheudle is very tight and Winnipeg Transit just isn't quick enough or responsive enough for me to entrust in.

I would certainly check myself into the camp that is car dependant, but would willingly wait in line overnight to trade it in for some rapid transit lines to ease my intra-city travel burden.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 3:31 PM
What could go wrong?

I took the bus to work this morning for the first time in over 20 years just to see.

Car - leave home 7:20 am arrive at work 7:45 am = 25 min
Bus - leave home 7:10 am arrive at work 8:05 am = 55 min
(bus stop 285 yds from my door, transfer and 2 express busses, bus stop 175 yds to work door)

Overall wasn't a bad experience, just took longer, it was kind of relaxing but then again i find driving relaxing too. Oh it was -25 this morning too. I have an attached garage that is warm and free parking at work. My car is good on gas and can't cost more than $5 to get too and from work every day. The bus there and back is $4:50. Kind of a saw off there. There is the aspect of adding in your car insurance but with 2 kids we need the vehicle anyways...and taking a car to work gives me freedom to go out at lunch.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 3:40 PM
I am a typical

How did it cost 4.50? Don't you have transfer pases? I could travel for almost three hours on 2.25 here.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:01 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
How did it cost 4.50? Don't you have transfer pases? I could travel for almost three hours on 2.25 here.
It costs $2.25 each way. I have to get home some how!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:14 PM
I am a typical

Forgot about that.. It's been so long since I've used money to ride the bus, I guess I forgot..

Monthly passes are 65$ and you can use them as often as you want.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 4:59 PM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Monthly passes are 65$ and you can use them as often as you want.
More to the point I know that passes and books of tickets can be used as tax deductions. I'm trying to find out what the deal is with transfers. Just imaging being asked for your transit reciepts, so you send them a box of crumpled up transfers, some from different cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan