HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 3:52 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

....wow.....absolutely amazing..

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 8:29 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Aug 15, 2007 at 8:41 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 2:02 PM
Endless Moments...

That yellow really does stand out in these renderings. Ah not all the spaces have balconies, they are the best part...

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 5:08 PM

I wish they got rid of thatnasty brown and yellow and had the whole building look like the tower portion...oh well still nice

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 7:48 PM

...but then that would look like what they are building in Austin... I love the colors, very art deco, and Im sure the colors will be better looking in person than on a rendering. Love this structure, going to be very exciting to see it complete! Im just glad it doesn't look like every other urban highrise going up in the state right now!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
...but then that would look like what they are building in Austin...
Which is better than what's being built in SA. And anyway there isn't really a building in austin that looks like this u/c right now at all? So i don't understand your comment.

I just wish it had more of that bad ass chromed out look that is has on top..all over...The puke orange and yellow takes some points off but its still pretty cool.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 9:27 PM

21blowed: Yuck! If the entire building looked like the crown and higher floors, it'd just look like another suburban 410 building. Yuck yuck yuck! Those colors give it a unique look and not just another generic suburban mid/highrise.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 10:11 PM

I agree. I love the colors of the building.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Which is better than what's being built in SA. And anyway there isn't really a building in austin that looks like this u/c right now at all? So i don't understand your comment.
Im referring to the fact that its not all glass....All glass gets old IMO. The Colors...once again are computer colors...not actual colors. I like them anyway. They are about the same colors as the Tower Life building actually and it doesn't seem that there are a ton of people on here calling the tower life building's colors "ugly" or "gross". Im glad SA developers are distinguishing their designs from other projects in the state. Vistana WILL stand the test of time in its design as the glass structures with no REAL architectural interest will age and fade into history as uninteresting and bland. This is in IMO of course.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 12:28 AM

Is it just me or does the Vistana resemble this other building in DT:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonleggett/1064154555/

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 2:30 AM

That's the Express-News building and yes, greatly. Which i like, a lot.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
That's the Express-News building and yes, greatly. Which i like, a lot.
Express-News that's right, I was thinking it was the Post Office

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
21blowed: Yuck! If the entire building looked like the crown and higher floors, it'd just look like another suburban 410 building. Yuck yuck yuck! Those colors give it a unique look and not just another generic suburban mid/highrise.
How would it look like another "suburban" 410 building? And since when is the northern arc of 410 suburban these days? The only all glass building i can think of is where time warner use to be located 410 by pappaduex...and umm the building at 410/I10..And besides whats wrong with havin a building that has a modern look? We have how many buildings that look modern in our dt? umm..hmm..thats right 0. There's nothin wrong with changing it up and having something that looks - now days. Who cares if another city has it? Sometimes being different isn't a good thing. This is one of those times.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 4:42 AM

If they could do one thing, I would say cover the garage on the backside of the building. Similar to the Drury Inn (Alamo Bank). Not the look, just something to hide it. I think it really takes away from the building. It looks like the are planning some kind of greenery there. It's hard to tell, but maybe that will be enough.

This will be a nice addition to Houston Street.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
How would it look like another "suburban" 410 building? And since when is the northern arc of 410 suburban these days? The only all glass building i can think of is where time warner use to be located 410 by pappaduex...and umm the building at 410/I10..And besides whats wrong with havin a building that has a modern look? We have how many buildings that look modern in our dt? umm..hmm..thats right 0. There's nothin wrong with changing it up and having something that looks - now days. Who cares if another city has it? Sometimes being different isn't a good thing. This is one of those times.
Well you are entitled to that opinion. I disagree, whole heartedly, and the great thing about forums such as these is we get this median as a way to express such opinions.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 6:22 AM

I always forget this will be on Houston Street.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 7:21 AM
Meh

Quote:
...but then that would look like what they are building in Austin...
Quote:
Im referring to the fact that its not all glass....All glass gets old IMO.

Actually, none of the new buildings going up in Austin are all glass. And to date, Austin only has one highrise that has an all glass facade. That is the Dobie Center near the UT Campus which is a highrise student dorm. That building was built in 1972, and actually had a facade mix of glass and limestone. In 1992 it was bought by a dormitory property manager and renovated in 1992. The renovation project included removing the limestone facade and replacing it with a cobalt blue colored glass.

Austin compilation of renderings.

Other buildings do have a lot of glass in their facade such as the Frost Bank Tower, Chase Bank Tower and Bank of America Center, but all of those have glass facades with metal framing around the windows, not pure glass facade. Also in that list, the Chase Bank Tower has marble accents.

All of our other buildings either have a mix of glass, (for windows), and or materials such as granite, limestone, marble, concrete or brick.

If you want to see all glass facades in Texas, look to Houston and Dallas. As a matter of fact, Houston has the tallest all glass facade skyscraper in the western hemisphere, it used to be tallest in the world, but I believe Hong Kong now has a taller one. Wells Fargo Plaza

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Aug 16, 2007 at 7:34 AM. Reason: Added Houston building.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2007, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually, none of the new buildings going up in Austin are all glass. And to date, Austin only has one highrise that has an all glass facade.
Kevin,

Isn't the Novarre 360 an all glass building? Actually, now that I think of it, several of the proposed buildings are all or mostly glass: Stacey; the one w/ACL; the tallest one (oval shaped).

Last edited by kornbread; Aug 16, 2007 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 10:32 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Kevin,

Isn't the Novarre 360 an all glass building? Actually, now that I think of it, several of the proposed buildings are all or mostly glass: Stacey; the one w/ACL; the tallest one (oval shaped).
No, although most of the facade will contain glass, there are narrow strips (approximately 2 to 3 feet wide) running the vertical length of the building. I'm not sure what the material is, some kind of stone, possibly limestone.

View 360's web cam of the building's construction at the link below. You can zoom in on the building using the tools to the left and see the facade close up.
http://novare.oxblue.com/austin360/index.html

We're still not sure what all the materials will be on the T. Stacy & Associates Tower, also known as T. Stacy Tower or 501 Congress. It may end up being the only one that has all glass among the new towers. At least from the renderings that's what it seems to show.

The one you're talking about with 'ACL' as in Austin City Limits, that building will have glass, but it'll also have some kind of stone, possibly marble.

The last tower you mentioned which is oval and will be either the tallest or 2nd tallest, all depends on whether the T. Stacy Tower gets built and how tall that tower ends up being. The oval shaped tower you mentioned is The Austonian. The building's facade will comprise of glass and limestone. It looks reflective like glass because it's been polished.

Another new tower which will probably have a lot of glass will be the 21C Austin Hotel, which will be our 3rd tallest. That one looks to have mostly glass, but there seems to be some granite accents at least on the south side, and probably on the north.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 17, 2007, 2:19 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Im referring to the fact that its not all glass....All glass gets old IMO. The Colors...once again are computer colors...not actual colors. I like them anyway. They are about the same colors as the Tower Life building actually and it doesn't seem that there are a ton of people on here calling the tower life building's colors "ugly" or "gross". Im glad SA developers are distinguishing their designs from other projects in the state. Vistana WILL stand the test of time in its design as the glass structures with no REAL architectural interest will age and fade into history as uninteresting and bland. This is in IMO of course.
I am sorry, this building already looks dated. These are not the same colors as the Tower Life Building, The TLB is green at the top, were is the green here, or wait its glass. Yes this building will stand out but for an entirely different reason then "architectural intresting"...

With that i am done talking about this project. I will just sit back and watch it rise now...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio