HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 12:19 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeelm
Where exactly on Lake Shore was the Palmer residence located on?
At N. Lake Shore Drive and E. Banks Street
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...8,0.010815&t=h

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 3:18 AM

literally blocks of stuff like this:

either due to fire:

or the stupidity of the 60's and 70's (most of this is gone today):

bits and pieces remain but it's not the glorious cohesive whole it once was.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 5:27 AM

Can we see what's there today, so as to make it doubly more painful?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd

now

That is just so wrong and sad.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 7:40 AM

^
What the f@#k were people thinking in the 70's. I can't think of a decade in which more harm was done to the architecture in this country by either demolishing an elegant building or putting up some shitty concrete box.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 12:28 PM
if I sang out of tune

Beijing - a lesson to history

The Imperial City, with 28 massive temple complexes was destroyed by Western troops, and the Forbidden City heavily looted during the Opium Wars and Boxer Uprising. The Summer Palaces, bigger than the Forbidden City, were destroyed and rebuilt no less than 3x

The New Summer Palace in beijing is huge - no less than 150 buildings for you to visit, but a shadow of its former self. Destroyed twice by Western troops to 'help China see sense' in the Opium Wars and each time rebuilt at vast cost, then yet again destroyed one last time to make China pay for its Boxer Uprising in 1900. Todays construction is only partial of the vast complex before:

The Old Summer Palace, the biggest palace ever built

^The 1850s first saw the destruction of the Old Summer Palace, Yuanmingyuan by those Western troops, the over-ornate opulence of the European style Old Summer Palace, what was once known as the Chinese Versailles. Five years later the New summer Palace followed the same fate, then once more in 1900 after the Boxer Uprising was suppressed.

Yuanmingyuan had the largest gardens ever created -the Garden of Perfect Brightness a vast complex of 200 artificially created valleys EACH containing a stream and Chinese style palace within.

all that remains. It took 3,500 troops three days to burn the place to the ground:

The Chinese govt is arguing whether to rebuild or to keep the evocative ruins as a lesson to history... most people agree its the latter that makes more of an impact.

The mile long Labyrinth

What was worse than the architectural loss was the artistic opulence the palaces were famed for, filled with treasures from China, India and Europe and said to be greater than the Forbidden City's treasures.

Last edited by muppet; Dec 7, 2006 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 12:46 PM
if I sang out of tune

Beijing City Walls were the largest ever built, the outer wall alone (out of 3 concentric rings leading to the Forbidden City) stretched for 25 km. They were heavily fortified and guarded by the tallest structures in the city, the massive castle sized gatehouses. They stood for 530 years and were over 60ft thick.

Despite surviving centuries of conflict and having had centuries of high level maintenance the communist govt razed them in the 1950s to make way for ringroads. Some of the gatehouses have been kept and some sections of the walled restored, notably a 1 km section in 2002.

Today:

Last edited by muppet; Dec 7, 2006 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
although not my city, but one of the most obviouse in NYC: The WTC
The WTC a great loss? Are you kidding? The only good thing the terrorists did was get rid of those two huge eyesores!

There's only a couple of buildings i wish my city had kept and this is the first one that comes to mind:

Even though it's no great architectural gem, a decent reno job could have really improved it and kept it going since it was Victoria's tallest building for about 60 years. In fact, were it around today it would still stand out for it's height.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Jun 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 2:58 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
That is just so wrong and sad.
well, the 2nd pic is 2 years old, i forgot i had a more recent one from a slightly different angle showing Hope VI construction. still sad, but not as depressing.

Birmingham Terminal Station

-

-fflint

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 10:04 PM
marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
The WTC a great loss? Are you kidding? The only good thing the terrorists did was get rid of those two huge eyesores!

There's only a couple of buildings i wish my city had kept and this is the first one that comes to mind:

Even though it's no great architectural gem, a decent reno job could have really improved it and kept it going since it was Victoria's tallest building for about 60 years. In fact, were it around today it would still stand out for it's height.
That's just plain mean! Have you seen the lower mahatten skyline from NJ? it looks terrible(in my opinoin). But before 9/11 it looked great. Hou could you even say it's a good loss? How can you say the terroroists did a good thing? you should be ashamed of yourself

Last edited by marcus; Dec 7, 2006 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
That's just plain mean! Have you seen the lower mahatten skyline from NJ? it looks terrible(in my opinoin). But before 9/11 it looked great. Hou could you even say it's a good loss? How can you say the terroroists did a good thing? you should be ashamed of yourself
Well it is about architectural loss so in that sense I can see how someone would not agree that it was an architectural loss. However I agree that any sentiment could have been expressed in a more mature and sensitive manner than the 'terrorist' comment. That comment was just completely classless and tasteless IMO.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 12:38 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Wow, looks like a Louis Sullivan.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 1:32 AM
marcus

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
Well it is about architectural loss so in that sense I can see how someone would not agree that it was an architectural loss. However I agree that any sentiment could have been expressed in a more mature and sensitive manner than the 'terrorist' comment. That comment was just completely classless and tasteless IMO.
I don't understand how someone could disagree that that was an archiectural loss. Any building destroyed or demolished is a loss, even if it's agood thing that it's gone.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 9:07 AM
Closed account

Quote:
I don't understand how someone could disagree that that was an archiectural loss. Any building destroyed or demolished is a loss, even if it's agood thing that it's gone.
What the terrorist did was obviously very bad, but as far architecture goes, the wtc was underwhelming. They looked like two giant toothpaste boxes on end.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 12:29 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post

Wow, looks like a Louis Sullivan.
yep a 600 year old version

Last edited by muppet; Dec 8, 2006 at 12:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 12:33 PM
if I sang out of tune

Richmond Palace, built 1501 London

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
For New York, Penn Station ranks up there.

The original:

Demolished in 1964 and replaced by this in 1968 :

I second that. What were they thinking???

Old Posted Dec 8, 2006, 11:39 PM

Another for Minneapolis is the Great Northern Station (located on Mississippi River @ Hennepin Avenue Bridge)

Destroyed for "urban renewal" and sat as a parking lot until the 1990s when the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis moved to a new location on this spot with this complex:

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 5:08 AM
The True Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaleHoosier View Post
Another for Minneapolis is the Great Northern Station (located on Mississippi River @ Hennepin Avenue Bridge)

Destroyed for "urban renewal" and sat as a parking lot until the 1990s when the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis moved to a new location on this spot with this complex:

I really doubt this is our greatest loss. It was demolished in the late 80's. Not long before the FedReserve was started. It sat empty for quite sometime and nobody wanted to reuse it for anything that was worth the time or mone needed to be put into it. Most of the interior was remodeled in the 50's/60's that ruined the interior.
Our greatest loss was easily the Metroplitan Building.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2006, 6:24 AM
tilted & shifted

For Milwaukee, the Pabst Building ranks high up on my list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture