HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Love it! 16 30.77%
Like it! 32 61.54%
Nope! 4 7.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 11:42 PM
BANNED

7 Tower Eau-Claire Development

Finally some renderings out for this. Not really detailed, but gives a general overview. Public realm will be very solid here. Hard to make out in the renderings, but the towers will all be very glassy too:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/...391/story.html

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 11:47 PM
not a NIMBY

The public realm will be private property.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 11:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Massive urban village planned for Eau Claire Lands

1,100 residences, hotel, supermarket, restaurants, retail and public plaza
By Mario Toneguzzi, Calgary Herald June 27, 2014

CALGARY - A massive urban village is planned for two city blocks in the southwest Eau Claire neighbourhood that will include about 1,100 residences, a hotel, a supermarket, restaurants, retail space and a public plaza, the Herald has learned.

A development permit has been submitted for the blocks, currently two surface parking lots, between 2nd Avenue to the south, Eau Claire Avenue to the north, 4th Street to the east, and 6th Street to the west.

GWL Realty Advisors Inc. is the advisor and development manager on behalf of bcIMC (British Columbia Investment Management Corporation) which owns the land for the Eau Claire Lands project - six residential towers ranging from 19 to 33 storeys, 30 two-storey ground-oriented townhomes mainly facing Eau Claire Avenue, a 350-room hotel, 65,000 square feet of retail space as well as a public plaza and pedestrian walkway.

“The project is expected to break ground in 2015, subject to all necessary approvals, with the first residents in place in 2018. The entire project is expected to be completed over a five to seven year time frame, depending on market conditions,” said James Midwinter, executive vice-president of development for GWL Realty Advisors Inc., adding the intent is to start with the towers mainly on the east block and move westward.

“The concept here is to create a high quality mixed-use urban village . . . The intent is to have a vital, living community where people are able to walk to work, be able to walk to the amenities, the Bow River trail system very close at hand. You’re in an ideal location at the edge of the downtown core with immediate access to the recreational amenities of the Bow River area, Prince’s Island . . . It’s really a vibrant community. We’re not building just one or two standalone residential towers. There’s lots of those being built around downtown. We’re really creating a community here. A neighbourhood, if you will, in which there’s interaction between all of these elements.”

Retail use will include cafes, bakery, spa, restaurants, convenience food, service retail like a hair salon and dry cleaner - the types of services in demand by residents in the area.

“It sounds like an enormous project,” said Maggie Schofield, executive director of the Calgary Downtown Association. “We’re very keen to see a grocery store in the downtown. Over the last seven or eight years, we’ve probably seen six or seven development permits that have included a grocery store and we are still without one. So whoever gets there first that will be great because we need one in the downtown particularly if we are encouraging more residential in the downtown which I believe is what we’re trying to do. So without that, it’s pretty hard to get a serious residential population. They do need those services.

“The hotel is also extremely important within the downtown core. We are under-serviced on the hotel side particularly during the week for business. We are a very strong market there and we just don’t have enough hotel rooms.”

Schofield said a more concentrated residential development that keeps more people in the downtown core after business hours will create a vitality in the area.

“It’s a beautiful community so close to the river,” said Councillor Druh Farrell of the Eau Claire neighbourhood. “Eventhough it’s part of the downtown, in many ways it has a quiet neighbourhood feeling in many other ways because of the geography of the downtown. It has no major streets going through it and it’s quite peaceful.

“For many years, eventhough we had lots of big buildings in Eau Claire, there wasn’t the population to justify a grocery store and we’re finally going to start to see that. Neighbourhood retail and all the things that make a neighbourhood.”
http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/...391/story.html

Old Posted Jun 29, 2014, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Actually yeah looks like this will mainly only peripheral retail bays at only 65,000 sf of retail. Which is still a decent amount but much lower than the Eau-Claire re-development which I thought was to include close to 1M sf of retail!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 12:00 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Actually yeah looks like this will mainly only peripheral retail bays at only 65,000 sf of retail. Which is still a decent amount but much lower than the Eau-Claire re-development which I thought was to include close to 1M sf of retail!
Overall, I look forward to seeing this get built.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
technicalities.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 4:30 AM
Fake News

I notice everyone else voted the same as me, like it not love it. I think I need to see more details before truly deciding as none of the buildings besides maybe the shorter, rounder one truly stand out.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:48 AM

Given the scale I wish there was more of a uniform design. Not many projects have the chance to develop over such a large area, and I don't think this one has exploited that to its fullest.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 9:37 AM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
Given the scale I wish there was more of a uniform design. Not many projects have the chance to develop over such a large area, and I don't think this one has exploited that to its fullest.
I'm kinda glad they aren't more uniform we don't need septuplets, we already end up with too many multiples in this city.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 9:39 AM
YIMBY

I'm going to reserve my vote until we see more detail of the towers, right now they almost seem kinda brutalist in design with a lot of exposed concrete.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 2:51 PM

I like it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I'm going to reserve my vote until we see more detail of the towers, right now they almost seem kinda brutalist in design with a lot of exposed concrete.
haha the renders aren't very detailed. Had a quick glimpse of much better ones months ago. All glass towers with a bit of aluminum cladding here and there. No concrete/stucco!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:03 PM
BANNED

Is that hot air looking balloon tower going to be residential? Very cool!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:33 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
haha the renders aren't very detailed. Had a quick glimpse of much better ones months ago. All glass towers with a bit of aluminum cladding here and there. No concrete/stucco!
That's good to hear, no spy shots?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:44 PM
Editor

I'd like to see more renders, but so far it looks good. It'll be so nice to have those two parking lots developed.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 3:47 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
What do you mean by uniform? Having the buildings more similar? or the layout more uniform?

Personally I like the way the buildings are all different heights and shapes.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 5:09 PM
I am the law!

Hard to make a judgement and yet, the streetwall doesn't impress. These are block north of downtown. Something more substantial would be desirable. The plaza rendering could be easily confused with development in Burnaby or suburban Toronto. More Beltline "townhouse podiums" than East Village.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This really highlights how the current shaw building is way undersized for its location.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
This really highlights how the current shaw building is way undersized for its location.
Especially when compared to 3 Eau Claire in the background

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 3:06 PM
BANNED

Voted love it, hopefully those detailed renderings are out soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates