HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
LV is my pick.

Has everything going for it. lots a Covid and unprotected workers.
Will the players be able to hold themselves back from Vegas' many distractions, though?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Vancouver already said no. Get over it.
Haha oh im over it. And with 24 players testing positive i'm almost happy about it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Edmonton vs. Vancouver, the difference probably isn't that dramatic compared to, say, Vegas.

I suspect Edmonton remains in the running because they have a new arena with direct access to a luxury hotel. Edmonton is probably a better option logistically compared to Vancouver.
Ya Vancouver's JW Marriott is a block or two away from the arena whereas Edmonton's is a walkway away from their arena.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 8:46 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Will the players be able to hold themselves back from Vegas' many distractions, though?
I'm sure that won't be a problem.

If I was a GM, I'd be hoping to play in the other city.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:18 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Vegas for the hotel availability and TO because it's TO and also it's not Edmonton. And I say that as someone who has lived in EDM and is an Oiler fan.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:17 PM

I think the whole notion of restarting/continuing the NHL season is totally absurd and unworkable and this coming from a very HARDCORE hockey fan. If just one player gets the virus then goth that team and the one they were playing is out for at least 3 weeks which also includes the refs/managers etc. It is totally unworkable to the point of being laughable.

NHL and all team sports are effectively dead for the next years until the virus is COMPLETELY under control. Can you imagine the up roar if a player gets the virus and then it spreads to fans or other players and their families all because some millionaire kids want to make millions more? The only good thing that could come out of this is that Bettman might catch it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 2:14 AM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 2:38 AM

Will be nice to have Jets vs Flames talk instead of covid talk in a few days.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I think the whole notion of restarting/continuing the NHL season is totally absurd and unworkable and this coming from a very HARDCORE hockey fan. If just one player gets the virus then goth that team and the one they were playing is out for at least 3 weeks which also includes the refs/managers etc. It is totally unworkable to the point of being laughable.

NHL and all team sports are effectively dead for the next years until the virus is COMPLETELY under control. Can you imagine the up roar if a player gets the virus and then it spreads to fans or other players and their families all because some millionaire kids want to make millions more? The only good thing that could come out of this is that Bettman might catch it.
I think the league had to spend the lockdown period planning for resumption because honestly, what else could they do?

But now it's almost July and they still don't have the hub cities sorted out, players are getting sick... this whole exercise is looking more and more doomed to failure with every passing week. At a certain point you just cut bait, move on and start planning for next season or whatever the next actual season will be.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post

You are not a hard core hockey fan. The players cannot spread it to fans as you say because there will be no fans in the arena. You should know that hardcore fan. You just like to shit on things.

Bring on the Covid Cup!!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 1:01 PM

I would imagine there are more than a couple teams that would have a financial hardship if they were told they have to write a check for however many millions to pay back to the TV networks if they up and cancel the season now. The players have made most of their salaries, I'm sure most are happy to just move on and plan for next season. The playoffs are where the owners and networks make their money, so I think they are going to stick this out as long as they can, even if it means cancelling the first half of next season.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 1:23 PM

Quote:
For the first time in more than a month, sounds like Vegas is no longer a frontrunner to host an #NHL hub city. Spike in COVID-19 numbers in Vegas appears to have put a damper on their bid.

As
@TSNBobMcKenzie
reported, very possible both hubs cities are in Canada 🇨🇦: TOR and EDM
https://mobile.twitter.com/frank_ser...73835305172992

When was the last time the cup was actually awarded in Canada? I cant remember if Vancouver or Edmonton lost at home in the finals.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 1:39 PM

I'm shocked!!! Not a done deal yet though...

Last time the cup was one in Canada was in 2011 when the Canucks lost to the Bruins. Before that, it was when the Habs won in 1993 against L.A.

Everything in between, Canadian teams lost on U.S. soil (Vancouver 1994 and 2011, Calgary 2004, Edmonton 2006, Ottawa 2007).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 2:50 PM

Just seeing reports that Edmonton and TO are the Hub cities

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:24 PM
Community Guy

Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie
·
3h
Barring any last-minute complications, and we have seen some of those (Vancouver and Las Vegas), the two NHL Hub cities will be Edmonton and Toronto.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 4:03 PM

Keeping the games in Canada is a sensible move by the NHL, but let's hope that the players coming from US locales are clean and don't bring numerous cases of covid with them...

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:06 PM

Sweet, look forward to playoffs starting in October instead of the next season lol. When is the last time the cup parade happened at Christmas?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 10:59 PM

Nobody has talked about the draft lottery, so some of you might not be aware that one of the 8 teams that get knocked out of the play in round will get the number 1 pick. Part of me wants the Canucks to lose to Minnesota and get a 12.5% chance at Lafrenière. In any event, Lafrenière is going to end up on a decent team.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 11:18 PM

Quebec will collectively orgasme if the habs get Laffy.

Personaly, I think were beating the pens.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 12:50 AM

Don't get too excited about the 12.5%. We had a 25% chance to get #1 and we ended up with #3 and #5. On the other hand, "placeholder team" had a 1% chance, soooo.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada