HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
JONES: Edmonton a sure bet if NHL resumes in certain venues
Author of the article:Terry Jones

Publishing date:1 hour ago • 4 minute read

It is waaaaaay too premature. But the idea makes so much sense it has found credibility and momentum.

Again, it’s a big ‘if’. But IF the NHL could receive clearance by health authorities to hold games with no fans in the stands sometime in, say, late July or early August, Edmonton, has emerged as the leading locale.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...-fefeb8d513cb/
So if a city has to host as many as 3 games a night, wouldn't it be hugely advantageous to have 2 NHL arenas, so that you can have 2 games going on at the same time in their usual time slots, otherwise you would have to start games at 1pm, 4pm, and 7 pm. That's bad for TV ratings and revenue.

Northlands is not operating anymore, so where would the next best venue be?

This might be where Vancouver wins out, as we still have the Pacific Coliseum to host games, as well as Rogers Arena.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 12:31 AM

Has Northlands been gutted yet? If not and it's just mothballed, they might be able to get it up and running again quickly.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
So if a city has to host as many as 3 games a night, wouldn't it be hugely advantageous to have 2 NHL arenas, so that you can have 2 games going on at the same time in their usual time slots, otherwise you would have to start games at 1pm, 4pm, and 7 pm. That's bad for TV ratings and revenue.

Northlands is not operating anymore, so where would the next best venue be?

This might be where Vancouver wins out, as we still have the Pacific Coliseum to host games, as well as Rogers Arena.
I'm not sure on the times. And i don't think they actually have ratings at the top of their list believe it or not. (Don't quote me on this). More completing the season in some sort of schedule. They are requiring only one arena per city. And one practice arena.

As well as Edmonton having a fairly low Covid-19 count.

Northlands is a no go because they are looking for total self containment.

But it could be reactivated for use for whatever reason. Not for this purpose tho.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 1:22 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Has Northlands been gutted yet? If not and it's just mothballed, they might be able to get it up and running again quickly.
Gutted.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 3:52 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
(BTW what is it with the word 'ICE' always being capitalized now? Winnipeg's new WHL team is called the 'ICE' and they insist on capitalizing it too)
REDBLACKS

Edmonton - Kootenay - Winnipeg

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Edmonton - Kootenay - Winnipeg
They just need to move to Yorkton next to complete the set of western provinces

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 6:53 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Ha - that’s right.

Are the Moose still in Winnepeg ?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 7:45 PM

Yeah, they're still around! Still waiting on someone to win a championship though

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:52 PM

A little something to wet our whistles......

Memorable goals from all 31 NHL teams: Fan edition.

https://youtu.be/n6gRrm9IXpY

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:21 AM
Community Guy

I was at the Dallas/Edmonton one with Patrick Stefan... my oh my.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 8:22 PM

Great to see Dale Hawerchuk back home and appearing on Sportsnet after hours with Scott Oake this week. Ducky has been a real hero and inspiration for me in my current cancer battle and nice to see the greatest Winnipeg Jet doing well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCvy5bQ73pQ&t=2s

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 9:55 PM
Community Guy

Things seem to be progressing between the Edmonton Oilers and the province of Alberta with regards to a hub city proposal in Edmonton that would allow the NHL to potentially resume its season, reports TSN's Ryan Rishaug.

https://www.tsn.ca/ryan-rishaug-thin...erta-1.1472989

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 5:50 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 4:51 PM

2 Hub Cities

I'm still skeptical of the NHL having playoffs this year, but if the concept is now 2 hub cities and one of them is Las Vegas, seems like a longshot for either Vancouver or Edmonton to be the other hub city as they are geographically so far away from the Eastern US teams, Columbus seems to be the rumor of the week?

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey...5-5216ca88610d

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020...city-plan.html

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 5:03 PM

How can Las Vegas host 12 teams? They have lots of hotels but not nearly enough quality rinks to host 12 teams. With that many teams in one city you need at least 2 rinks that are good enough to host NHL games. Edmonton and Vancouver have that, but I think Vancouver has the edge on the hotels. The NHL might not want all the teams in one or two hotels.

Anyways, it’s probly going to be Toronto, despite the fact that Toronto is still a Covid 19 hot spot.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 5:07 PM
Community Guy

'The NHL might not want all the teams in one or two hotels.'

Actually, that was the whole point. Quarantine in 1 or 2 with full facilities.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 8:38 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
'The NHL might not want all the teams in one or two hotels.'

Actually, that was the whole point. Quarantine in 1 or 2 with full facilities.
I really wish they would scrap the whole season and start in September. I'm a huge Jets fan and season ticket holder and I can tell you, with the limited summer weather we get, I won't be watching hockey in July or August. I couldn't be less interested right now. Especially in a "hub" city model playing in empty arenas. The NHL needs to do a better job of polling the fans. No where in any of this have they even asked fans whether they would even watch hockey during the summer months..

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I really wish they would scrap the whole season and start in September. I'm a huge Jets fan and season ticket holder and I can tell you, with the limited summer weather we get, I won't be watching hockey in July or August. I couldn't be less interested right now. Especially in a "hub" city model playing in empty arenas. The NHL needs to do a better job of polling the fans. No where in any of this have they even asked fans whether they would even watch hockey during the summer months..
Wait what?! "Couldn't be less interested right now?" OMG! I cannot WAIT to hockey to return in any way, shape or form! I'd even give up my - proverbial "left nut." 30C outside? Who cares...I'll be in my man cave watching Connor and the boys.....

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:19 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
There has been quite a bit of polling done and much of it indicates a significant desire to complete the season/playoffs this summer.

I'd rather be there in-person, but don't mind the idea of sitting on a patio with a pint watching it.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
How can Las Vegas host 12 teams? They have lots of hotels but not nearly enough quality rinks to host 12 teams. With that many teams in one city you need at least 2 rinks that are good enough to host NHL games. Edmonton and Vancouver have that, but I think Vancouver has the edge on the hotels. The NHL might not want all the teams in one or two hotels.

Anyways, it’s probly going to be Toronto, despite the fact that Toronto is still a Covid 19 hot spot.

https://www.citynationalarenavegas.c...519611-nhl-ltp

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/arena

http://www.sobeicearenafr.com

Seems Vegas has more than enough rinks to play 3 games a night.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada