HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 10:47 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
What's going up in UTC? I live literally a block away from this thing and know nothing about it? It's already a good 10 stories above ground level? (I can see it from my office at UCSD too).

you work at ucsd?

it be crazy if you were one of my professors/ta's

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
One America Plaza 2 to be a signature tower? from what i understand, I M Pei is the right firm. But, willl it get lost behind other towers as tall or taller than it? OAP 1, Electra, NBC stuff, Grand Towers, Saphire, Bosa, the 2 hotel towers just approved, etc?
Oops - I meant it is the Bosa project/site that is now slated to become a signature office tower, designed by Pei Cobb Freed & Co. Whoever said it is right though. Because of the height limits, the building could get lost behind numerous other buildings in front of it.

Once again, we're screwed by that oppressive height limit.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock View Post
I bought my unit in early 2004. At the time of purchase, the estimated completion date was late 2006 (I still have a photo showing this). Quickly, it was revised to early 2007, then mid 2007, then late 2007 and now late 2008, if we're lucky.

I think I got a good price, but the developer is calling this a luxury building while I believe that they're really a budget builder. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. Frankly, I probably would have bailed out of frustration on a number of counts, including the delay, but I couldn't touch a unit with a south-facing view from 310 feet up for what I paid.

For what it's worth, a lot of my friends with great views would go back and trade the view for a better place any day of the week. They tell me that you don't even notice the view after about a month. But hey, to each his own...

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego_urban View Post
Two America Plaza is a different project from the Irvine proposal. If built, 2AP will rise from the unfinished half of the One America Plaza block (where the big hole is now). Remember when they proposed building a new main library there at one time? These were posted some time ago if you haven't seen them before. The proposal is for 37 floors and 417' tall:

FYI - The Irvine site is across the street from Electra on the northeast corner of Broadway and Pacific Highway.

Last word I heard was that CCDC owns the site and wants to put a park/plaza there for a few reasons.

1- lack of open space in the columbia area, east of pacific highway.
2- The garage below was structurally designed for only 5-7 stories, and anything taller would mean that the structure would have to be taken all the way down to the bottom of the garage, and redesigned.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 8:47 PM

^^ That's too bad. Parks are nice, but I really liked this building at this spot.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 11:05 PM

^^i agree, parks are nice...but thats not the place for one...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 1:00 AM
Native San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg92101 View Post
For what it's worth, a lot of my friends with great views would go back and trade the view for a better place any day of the week. They tell me that you don't even notice the view after about a month. But hey, to each his own...
It's hard to imagine that one wouldn't appreciate a panoramic view of downtown and the bay from 300'+ in the air after a month. To each their own, I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 1:09 AM

@ keg92101

We have a decent view of downtown and the ocean from our Banker's hill apartment and I sit and enjoy it every day. We've only been here 8 months but don't see ever tiring of the view.

True that everyone is different.

Last edited by obendega; Mar 3, 2007 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiego_urban View Post
Two America Plaza is a different project from the Irvine proposal. If built, 2AP will rise from the unfinished half of the One America Plaza block (where the big hole is now). Remember when they proposed building a new main library there at one time? These were posted some time ago if you haven't seen them before. The proposal is for 37 floors and 417' tall:

FYI - The Irvine site is across the street from Electra on the northeast corner of Broadway and Pacific Highway.

i totally get this now...ok...so you threw me off by the "hole"...that hole is a huge gray slab right? and if built, it would almost entirely be obstructed by one of the Grande towers right? right across from the Corporate Center building

Last edited by Derek; Mar 3, 2007 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 1:38 AM
Heavy User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
you work at ucsd?

it be crazy if you were one of my professors/ta's
Yeah I do I'm a grad student but I do teach courses here. My office is in HSS in Muir college on the 8th floor so the view is nice. Any idea what's under construction? It looks like it's a part of Costa Verde?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 2:09 AM

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...andiego-ca-usa

not sure if its this, it doesnt have pictures, but its the only thing really under construction up there...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah I do I'm a grad student but I do teach courses here. My office is in HSS in Muir college on the 8th floor so the view is nice. Any idea what's under construction? It looks like it's a part of Costa Verde?
Someone here had posted some photos of it about six months ago. Do some digging through one of the old threads. There was a link to the building/developer's website too. I think it was some an apartment building geared towards seniors.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 4:24 AM
Category Five

Quote:
Wouldn't be Muir 40/50?

Yuck.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburress View Post
Someone here had posted some photos of it about six months ago. Do some digging through one of the old threads. There was a link to the building/developer's website too. I think it was some an apartment building geared towards seniors.
im pretty sure its the Hyatt Residences...i could be mistaken though

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:12 AM
Long-Time Californian

bump...

...plus, anyone read the Ivanka Trump article about the envitable future to bring a high/top tier hotel to San Diego? Pasted below from the SD tribune:

She's the real deal

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:21 AM

i did read that earlier...i was gonna scan it on to here tomorrow...and i have to say im liking the plan...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:31 AM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
i did read that earlier...i was gonna scan it on to here tomorrow...and i have to say im liking the plan...
Yeah, but you gotta wonder if she was speaking out her ____? I know she's a Trump, but to basically say that she'll be back with plans for a top class hotel seem pretty heady to me.

But, let's speculate where it might go, shall we?

I'll guess it'll be one of the properties along Pacific Highway between Broadway and G Street.

Last edited by bmfarley; Mar 5, 2007 at 9:42 PM. Reason: I shouldn't have used the term 'bum hole'

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfarley View Post
Yeah, but you gotta wonder if she was speaking out her bum hole? I know she's a Trump, but to basically say that she'll be back with plans for a top class hotel seem pretty heady to me.

But, let's speculate where it might go, shall we?

I'll guess it'll be one of the properties along Pacific Highway between Broadway and G Street.
how about the...1st and J property??

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 9:26 PM

Trump generally doesnt purchase anything but an under-valued location. Not much in the core area or around pacific highway would satisfay that, however, if he does end up in such a location, then I guess that says a lot about the future of the area. I would predict something outside of downtown, or on the outskirts.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2007, 9:43 PM
Long-Time Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShekelPop View Post
Trump generally doesnt purchase anything but an under-valued location. Not much in the core area or around pacific highway would satisfay that, however, if he does end up in such a location, then I guess that says a lot about the future of the area. I would predict something outside of downtown, or on the outskirts.
Banker's Hill then. Maybe around Laurel and 5th or 6th?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations