HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 11:53 PM

Bank of Commerce Building in Toronto 1930s with dirigible.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 11:16 AM

^^^

hey guys, not sure how to post the source for the commerce bank photo above on an old post, so i am posting it below:

torontoist.com/2009/01/historicist

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 3:11 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ That link appears to be broken. But you should try posting via one of the photo-hosting sites, like photobucket or flickr. There are others as well.

www.photobucket.com
flickr.com

Upload the photo to one of these sites, copy the url, and then paste it into this page with [img] & [/img] at either end, if needed (pb already formats the link this way, flickr doesn't).

Cheers.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 2:50 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

There's just something about dirigibles that seem so... futuristic

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 3:50 AM
Bah!

I have a photo of the Hindenburg flying over Boston from 1937. It's hanging over my toilet so I can look at it every day.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 5:19 AM

Art Deco is just...holy,sacred and divine. no other style has ever(and i doubt will ever) come even slightly close to its sheer beauty.Art Deco embodies the best in us and should have continued to live on. im taking this time to take off my hat off the greatest style of architecture that humanity has every spawned.

and now heres my pick for the God of all art Deco Skyscrapers, the Chrysler Building.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=143716&page=5

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 4:06 PM

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 5:37 PM

That's a neo-gothic building. A few details here and there have a little bit of an art deco influence (hard to avoid, since it was built during the height of art deco), but the building is pretty thoroughly neo-gothic.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 8:07 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
That's what I was thinking as well, especially with the flying butresses up near the top. It almost resembles the top of a steeple on a gothic cathedral in Europe...

I must say, I find art-deco/art-modern architecture to be quite breath-taking...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 2:33 PM

Århus Rådhus(City Hall) in Denmark is a good example of Art Deco's cousin functionalism. I'm sneaking it in here because it's damned beautiful(IMO).

The walls are clad in Norwegian marble.

The original design had no tower, but one was added because of public pressure.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thorirvidar/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 4:03 PM
Creator + Founder, WAM

Great thread; I just combed through the replies and now have a bunch of new buildings to add to the WAM database (which needs more Art Deco). The patterns of setbacks in Art Deco high-rises are always pleasing to the eye.

Also, feel free to check out the WAM page for Art Deco Architecture, and let me know which great examples I am missing.

Here's one of my favorite examples (already posted, but i figured one more wouldn't hurt): The Palmolive Building in Chicago, Designed by Holabird & Root

Palmolive Building & Hancock Center 01 by Christopher James Botham, on Flickr

Cheers!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 9:07 PM
BANNED

I bring this back, because today we reviewed here a replay movie Superman Returns and i found incredible the Art Deco building, not payed much attention first, because is superman, but now considering only the architecture and the art-deco interior of yacht... well, tremendous impressive the details, just because mainly is my preference of style. Can someone tell me if the building really exists like that? cause i found in net, don't, it was a montage, but based in a real one. Do one has pics current real building to check and comparing? fabulous if some retro-architect could put that in real... Lobby, entrance are fantastic. Found this one somewhere as reference.

Source: http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/im...224628-000.jpg
http://features.cgsociety.org/storie...ailyplanet.jpg

Big Version: http://www.supermanhomepage.com/imag...net-stairs.jpg

Source: http://usuarios.multimania.es/superm...vide24marc.jpg

Last edited by M.K.; Oct 22, 2010 at 9:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 9:57 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Here's a beautiful Art Deco building... Now the Drury Plaza Hotel, San Antonio, Texas. It may not be 100% true Deco, I'm sure there are some additional elements that are not traditional (ie: huge stained glass window above the main entrance), but it's a freaking awesome building!

Aaron (Glowrock)

-------------------------------------------------------

Exterior:

Exterior Entrance Detail:

Detail of exterior railings:

Interior:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 3:40 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Chicago's Merchandise Mart at night:

statterhotel @ Flickr

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 8:26 AM
if I sang out of tune

Can you believe this was built in 2003?

Parkview Square in Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengui View Post
Parkview Square lobby would easily qualify as one of Singapore's most awesome ceilings...
It's perhaps not a classic ceiling, having been completed in 2003 :-)

The building:
www.singapenguin.net

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 8:29 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Can you believe this was built in 2003?

The exterior, yes - the interior, no. The interior looks almost like an Edwardian space that got a deco makeover.

There is something very Chinese about the interior - can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 9:05 PM

Yeah, I agree, without knowing anything about it, it wouldn't look like it was built in 2003, but there's something really peculiar about it. Knowing that it was built recently, you can sort of tell that the space itself and the planning and that kind of stuff is recent, while the detailing isn't.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 9:09 PM
BANNED

^exactly, it is what i noticed also. Wonderfully detailed made, but my conclusions are:

1. the exterior is not only art-deco, it has in main middle facade elements of post-modern with an neo-art-deco top, but the combination is wonderful simple rescuing the best part of art-deco facades, the tops and the botoms. I see also a post-modern appearance streamlined, but not equally seen in Florida, rounded in someway, seen in the 40ies years. A neo-art-deco soft in middle with more better worked top. Any way the balance all together is appropriate in the style and not too carried.

2. for interior, it came from the fact it is something like a thai taste using extreme exagerated details of plants, the common entrelace of foliage used most in small channels boats, hats and corbs, thing of artesanate mixed high in trelace with those 40ies statues/lamps elements. For me the furniture is taken from the 40ies, while the building itself was sculpid with local men force, a mix of both. This is mainly seen too much in ceilings rips, when also the gold color tendency is to a little green in them, other the yellow ton in most of the rest. Of course the whole effect is tremendous detailed beautiful, but has a campestre bamboo touch, not only future human vision of art-deco. At end is Deco and Art, art of extrem decorated, so it fits, as a neo-art-deco style with an oriental local touch. I would say also that the ceilings rips has a small resemblance of papirus or lotus immitations egypt ancient times of temples on them. But nature and human elements of art-deco, a little bit other interpreted is there.

Last edited by M.K.; Oct 23, 2010 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 3:20 PM
All-American City Boy

my favorite form of architecture, too bad it doesn't appear to be making a comeback =(
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 3:55 PM

It is sorta making a half-assed comeback.
Here is a sort of wannabe-Art Deco building that is under construction in Toronto. It is called the Uptown Residences.

They cheapened it a lot which is disappointing but it isn't too bad on the skyline.

Here is what it replaced, the Uptown Theatre:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture