HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 10:24 PM

Waterford River

From the Telegram for June 5, 2014:

Quote:
The watershed for the Waterford is more stressed every single year — and with major developers still using the cheaper “strip-off-every-piece-of-natural-groundcover” method of subdivision and industrial park construction, we can look forward to even more flood loading on our rivers and wastewater infrastructure.
The risk of flooding is one of many reasons I disapprove of new developments in the Southlands and the Leary's Brook watershed. Trees can hold a lot more water than grass or asphalt, and I've found new construction in Kenmount Terrace, Kelsey Drive, and Stavanger Drive to be a nightmare of parking lots and wide streets, with minimal vegetation. I haven't been given any reason to expect that Galway would be wildly different. We should all live in terror of the day when development is permitted above the 190 m contour, where shallow bedrock is more likely to exacerbate the increase in runoff. I know enough about hydrology to have approximately zero confidence in the ability of my fellow engineers to design storm-water retention that works as well as the existing, natural vegetation.

It's radical, but I suggest the City of St. John's should limit all future construction to the area north of Pitts Memorial Drive, at least until the Goulds gets a proper sewer system. There are lots of underused commercial and institutional sites within the existing built-up area that could be redeveloped. Pippy Park and the Windsor Lake watershed provide a northern limit to sprawl, and development in Paradise and CBS, unlike development in the Southlands, won't cause any increase in runoff to rivers in St. John's.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 1:14 PM

I actually agree with this completely... I've always paid a great deal of attention to all the watersheds in the city and the impact development has on them (for a perfect example, look at Mundy Pond... what was once a large pond with an island changed to a pond with a peninsula, then two ponds, now a pond and a bog). In addition to the flooding/runoff concerns, the entire ecosystems are virtually destroyed.

The headwaters of South Brook are smack in the middle of Galway; I expect the brook to wither and die once development begins, except for during storms when the water has nowhere else to go.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
From the Telegram for June 5, 2014:

The risk of flooding is one of many reasons I disapprove of new developments in the Southlands and the Leary's Brook watershed. Trees can hold a lot more water than grass or asphalt, and I've found new construction in Kenmount Terrace, Kelsey Drive, and Stavanger Drive to be a nightmare of parking lots and wide streets, with minimal vegetation. I haven't been given any reason to expect that Galway would be wildly different. We should all live in terror of the day when development is permitted above the 190 m contour, where shallow bedrock is more likely to exacerbate the increase in runoff. I know enough about hydrology to have approximately zero confidence in the ability of my fellow engineers to design storm-water retention that works as well as the existing, natural vegetation.

It's radical, but I suggest the City of St. John's should limit all future construction to the area north of Pitts Memorial Drive, at least until the Goulds gets a proper sewer system. There are lots of underused commercial and institutional sites within the existing built-up area that could be redeveloped. Pippy Park and the Windsor Lake watershed provide a northern limit to sprawl, and development in Paradise and CBS, unlike development in the Southlands, won't cause any increase in runoff to rivers in St. John's.
Look what happened shortly after they cut down a large patch of trees:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...429129?cmp=rss

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 5:56 PM

Update from vocm on the Galway development.

http://www.vocm.com/mobile/newsartic...?mn=2&id=48541

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 7:13 PM

Does anyone know anything about Galway? For such a massive project, there seems to be little news on it compared to other threads. This area has once again turned into a bee hive of activity with even more land being cleared. The Industrial section along the TCH looks like it could have an entrance open at any time. The Retail section off Ruth Avenue is full of equipment and office trailers. There are definitely big things going on there! I hope earlier rumours of Costco and Target are indeed true.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 2:41 PM

^Me too. As a west ender, I'm sick of the east end getting everything.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 3:20 AM

I really can't see stjohns supporting two Costcos. But hey you never know. Just a bit skeptical. And I doubt Target will be opening any other new stores for awhile after their disasterous launch nationwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
Does anyone know anything about Galway? For such a massive project, there seems to be little news on it compared to other threads. This area has once again turned into a bee hive of activity with even more land being cleared. The Industrial section along the TCH looks like it could have an entrance open at any time. The Retail section off Ruth Avenue is full of equipment and office trailers. There are definitely big things going on there! I hope earlier rumours of Costco and Target are indeed true.

Last edited by Arrakis; Dec 19, 2014 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 2:06 PM

Highly doubt Costco will have a second location in the metro area. Though a central location is plausible. As well I think Target has stopped their expansion for the time being.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 11:46 AM

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...50856&latest=1

Quote:
Blasting activity will be beginning today at the Galway Development.

Blasting at the site, which is visible from Pitts Memorial Drive, will continue over the next several months and should not cause any interruptions to the public.

Pennecon Heavy Civil has ensured proper safety precautions at the site, including the use of barricades and security personnel at all potential entrances.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 10:40 PM

Is it still full steam ahead on Galway/Glencrest? I've been looking for a house for the past several months and the biggest trend I'm seeing is that nothing is moving at all; it's only a matter of time before prices come down (they're already trending that way).

I have to wonder, when they start pushing that many more single detatched homes, what will it do to the market as a whole? seems like there would be a glut of new properties when the existing properties aren't selling.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 2:11 PM

The Galway commercial big box park seems to be moving forward, much to the dismay of Mount Pearl.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...ions-1.2890801

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 7:18 PM

Found a map of Galway Big Box on City of St. John's site.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...rvoir%20Rd.pdf

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 8:09 PM

Quote:

Nice. Thanks for posting. Lots of roundabouts.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Ugh, another typical big box store development with sprawing parking lots. Except this time with a few roundabouts.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 12:33 PM

Looks like Galway is seeking to purchase some more property to give more access to the residential part of the development.

http://vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=52740&latest=1

Old Posted Feb 26, 2015, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Nice. Thanks for posting. Lots of roundabouts.
It's interesting that they seem to be planning to introduce roundabouts to the current Pitts Memorial Drive interchange (with Ruth Avenue) to replace the 4 way intersection x2 they have there now. Seems progressive, and a good idea!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 8:10 PM

Massive Retail/Shopping Centre announced.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...-development/1

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
Massive Retail/Shopping Centre announced.

http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...-development/1
On one hand I am skeptical of the demand for such a large shopping centre. On the other I think of how bad the congestion is in the Stavanger area and how the Avalon Mall parking lot always seems full.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
On one hand I am skeptical of the demand for such a large shopping centre. On the other I think of how bad the congestion is in the Stavanger area and how the Avalon Mall parking lot always seems full.
"Williams said the retail section will be similar to the Stavanger Drive area."

Last edited by J_Murphy; Jun 7, 2015 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 1:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A buddy has seen much of the plan and said the entirety of Galway is less urban than Mount Pearl, and in some ways only slightly better than Paradise (i.e. it has sidewalks). Lots of huge, paved cul-de-sacs, etc.

There's nothing new or good about any of it. We were misled. We'd be better off not doing it and passing a law that no new development is permitted outside Columbus Drive for 100 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's