HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 7:26 PM
Eurosceptic

People Express announces flights to Newark, Boston, Pittsburgh from Newport News!

http://www.dailypress.com/news/traff...,4314244.story

Quote:
People Express announces flights to Newark, Boston, Pittsburgh starting June 30

The airline will offer $76 one-way tickets for the first month of service

By Cathy Grimes, cgrimes@dailypress.com

Daily Press

11:42 a.m. EDT, May 30, 2014

People Express announced today daily round-trip flights from Newport News to Newark, Boston and Pittsburgh will begin on June 30.

The company made the announcement at Newport News-Williamsburg International Airport and said it will start taking reservations in June. Fares will be as low as $76 each way for the first month of service, said company CEO and President Jeff Erickson.

Tickets will go on sale June 4 at www.flypex.com, company officials said. Erickson said the company's call center at 844-435-9739, began accepting calls on Friday.

The company will offer two daily round-trip flights to Newark and single round-trip flights to the other destinations. The company is leasing three Boeing 150-seat 737 planes from Vision Airlines. The planes are painted in People Express colors of green and white and feature the company's logo.

Vision also will provide the pilots and flight crews for the flights. Company Vice President of Marketing Steven Shatsky said the crews and planes will be based in Newport News.

On July 15, it will start daily round-trip service to West Palm Beach, Fla. In August, the company will add flights to Atlanta; St. Petersburg, Fla.; and New Orleans.

"This announcement is truly incredible," said Gov. Terry McAuliffe, in town for the launch of the airline. "Folks, this is how we grow the economy."

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 7:35 PM
Show me the blueprints

Good grief... That plane looks older than my last Alitalia flight!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 30, 2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Good grief... That plane looks older than my last Alitalia flight!
People Express won't be flying the 40-year old 727s. The carrier has leased three 737s.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 4:07 AM

I'm curious as to why they decided to revive the name. I remember flying them back in the 80s between Newark and Boston. They used to roll the cash register down the aisle to collect fares once you were on board. I remember paying $19 one way.

Not a classy outfit. At their terminal in Newark (the old North Terminal) I wouldn't have been surprised to see people with livestock.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
People Express won't be flying the 40-year old 727s. The carrier has leased three 737s.
Right, this aircraft is leased from ex-Vision Airlines. Right now, the aircraft is in the paint shop. They won't be ready sometime in a few weeks or so.

Old Posted May 31, 2014, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskyfan View Post
I'm curious as to why they decided to revive the name. I remember flying them back in the 80s between Newark and Boston. They used to roll the cash register down the aisle to collect fares once you were on board. I remember paying $19 one way.

Not a classy outfit. At their terminal in Newark (the old North Terminal) I wouldn't have been surprised to see people with livestock.
Exactly, the original was a bottom of the rung cattle car.

I envision this being a step below even Spirit and give them less than a year, IF they even start operating. I guess the Ryanair model is migrating across the pond.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2014, 2:44 AM

Well, check this out! People Express first new livery scheme!

Here they are:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation