HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 11:24 PM

Have any of you heard if Baydo is proceeding with their plans for the twin towers at Fifth Ave and 25th Street, or is it dead in the water?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
There's also Saskatoon Square, or the Tees & Persse/ Egadz project. Granted I don't have a sense of what their square footage needs are.
Sounds like they’re getting a tax break to stay downtown from the rumours I’ve heard. They’re looking for 60,000 sqf- River Quarry is 64,000 which would be perfect but someone above this thread said it wasn’t River Quarry.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 11:41 PM

Anyone have any idea who owns Saskatoon Square/has anyone heard what the plans are for that building?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drto View Post
Have any of you heard if Baydo is proceeding with their plans for the twin towers at Fifth Ave and 25th Street, or is it dead in the water?
Hopefully back to the drawing board, I appreciate the stalin-esque era design & the best baydo could come up with but now that we're well into the 21st Century & have Riverlanding and Highpoint projects in the city, developers need to step their pussies up & make better developments in Saskatoon, people aren't going to settle for blight for construction any longer.

The size of that particular lot you would think should warrant a larger scale project, say like a 40 storey + 30 storey twins on the site.

A good example of this is a two tower project with podium retail set for construction in Calgary.

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/fo....24469/page-37

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Hopefully back to the drawing board, I appreciate the stalin-esque era design & the best baydo could come up with but now that we're well into the 21st Century & have Riverlanding and Highpoint projects in the city, developers need to step their pussies up & make better developments in Saskatoon, people aren't going to settle for blight for construction any longer.

The size of that particular lot you would think should warrant a larger scale project, say like a 40 storey + 30 storey twins on the site.

A good example of this is a two tower project with podium retail set for construction in Calgary.

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/fo....24469/page-37
I agree that Baydo’s design is ridiculously archaic and insulting but I’m not convinced we have developers in Saskatoon willing to spend the money required to build both height and style and then double it on the site, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
Anyone have any idea who owns Saskatoon Square/has anyone heard what the plans are for that building?
Dream has Saskatoon Square.

https://leasing.dream.ca/building.ph...skatoon-square

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Sounds like they’re getting a tax break to stay downtown from the rumours I’ve heard. They’re looking for 60,000 sqf- River Quarry is 64,000 which would be perfect but someone above this thread said it wasn’t River Quarry.
I heard that they're leaning towards the bottom levels of Nutrien Tower. Quite amazing that these two towers will be completely full once built. If you build it they will come!

*cough North Prairie Developments and WTC cough*

Now to watch for the action at all of these vacant old towers renovating or watching the owners of them fight with the fact that they need to renovate to make money and compete with psf costs in the suburbs to fill them up again and move business into downtown from the burbs.

I'd love the owners of Midtown to purchase the Scotia Centre and connect them with a skywalk. Winnipeg started their skywalk system when they were a city of 250,000 people. We need skywalks as a winter city whether people here like it or not.
Saskatoon Square could also connect to River Quarry.

Some exciting times ahead for downtown Saskatoon! The fact that we saw such good reception with River Landing's office towers may mean that we could see a couple more larger towers once Nasser is completed these two?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
I heard that they're leaning towards the bottom levels of Nutrien Tower. Quite amazing that these two towers will be completely full once built. If you build it they will come!

*cough North Prairie Developments and WTC cough*

Now to watch for the action at all of these vacant old towers renovating or watching the owners of them fight with the fact that they need to renovate to make money and compete with psf costs in the suburbs to fill them up again and move business into downtown from the burbs.
I don't think that the WTC tower on 22nd & 3rd would have the same attraction that the River Landing towers have, so tough to say if Vendasta would have considered that.

As for the old towers competing with suburban office space, that's going to be a pretty tall order. If you take a look at the Dream - Saskatoon Square link above, you'll see that their occupancy cost alone are at $15.57 psf. That means they're going to have to go down and dirty on their rent to stay in the game. Also, I'll be curious to see if Saskatoon Square is still considered a Class "A" building once the River Landing Towers are online.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:00 PM

Sold signs up on the Impark lot on the SW corner of 2nd and 25th. Not sure if that means something is going to be built there or if Impark will just cut a cheque to a different person every month.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 9:00 PM

Hey
Just wondering why we don't have a thread for the Tees & Persse project? How is it determined if a build gets its own thread? River Quarry also did not have one. Not complaining as there is opportunity to discuss and share on the Stoon Construction thread, but just curious.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Hey
Just wondering why we don't have a thread for the Tees & Persse project? How is it determined if a build gets its own thread? River Quarry also did not have one. Not complaining as there is opportunity to discuss and share on the Stoon Construction thread, but just curious.
It's just a matter of whether one decides to start a separate thread on a project or not.

Speaking of:

The new Midtown entrance on 1st Ave and *cough* H&M *cough*:

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:08 PM

New downtown Saskatoon library could cost $154M, open in 2026

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...port-1.5289107

"The new central library is estimated to be 149,000 square feet and includes a larger collection, indoor and outdoor green spaces, a mix of quiet and animated spaces, expanded Local History space, technology-centred learning and innovation spaces, and public meeting and gathering spaces," according to the business case released Wednesday, which was originally slated for release this past spring.

I was just at the downtown one a few days ago and I walked out with nothing. It's so hard to find anything so I went on my phone to search for the book I wanted on their website, was all withdrawn, and if I wasn't being followed by someone that wanted to mug me I was being followed by a security guard lol. The music that they've added to deter the loiterers there is great news for that area - I'm always scared to walk by the library. As someone that lives and works downtown, I avoid that street, and the street in front of the lighthouse. Both need orchestra music just like the downtown library has now down.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...cape-1.5287621

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:48 PM

Very nice re-use. The render showed some trees/landscaping. This would really finish it off nicely.

Last edited by Stormer; Sep 19, 2019 at 8:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:11 PM

Agree...that was a jewel underneath all the crap that covered it in its former club and Egadz days!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:51 PM

It looks like the old bus depot is getting some renovations on it, or at least a fresh coat of paint on the outside. There were still "For Lease" signs in the window so it doesn't look like a tenant is lined up yet--anyone heard any rumours there?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 8:07 PM

There was a good suggestion in the letter to editor portion of Star Phoenix recently that the Farmer's Market could relocate there. It provides a decent indoor space and then the outdoor area behind the terminal building is covered by canopies (where the buses parked).

Likely would be same issue that the building would not be fully utilized enough days, but I can see how the Farmer's Market could work in the space.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 3:02 PM

City negotiating deals for downtown Saskatoon arena district
City hall negotiates 'potential purchase' deals with private owners of land in downtown

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Updated: September 25, 2019

Quote:
Saskatoon city hall has identified locations and is securing potential properties for a downtown entertainment district where a new arena and convention centre could be built.

City council heard Monday night that residents will get the chance to weigh in on the locations once agreements with the owners of private sites have been reached.

“So we are trying to finalize any of those site agreements at the moment,” the city’s director of planning and development, Lesley Anderson, told a council committee.

“That is not a purchase agreement, that is an agreement for a potential purchase.”

City hall is trying to identify the best location for a downtown entertainment district rather than simply a location for a new arena and convention centre.

The effort stems from a study commissioned by the downtown TCU Place convention centre and the SaskTel Centre arena located in the city’s northwest.

The study concluded that the two venues were close to becoming obsolete and that any replacements should be located downtown. TCU Place, originally known as Centennial Auditorium, celebrated 50 years last year, while SaskTel Centre, originally called Saskatchewan Place, marked 30 years in 2018.

City council gave further direction to find the best spot for an entire district.

Anderson confirmed in an email on Tuesday that the locations being considered are in the Central Business District — the downtown bordered by Idylwyld Drive, 25th Street and the South Saskatchewan River.

Anderson declined to say how many sites are being considered and whether the sites are being sized up for a combined facility or a stand-alone arena or convention centre.

The study estimated the cost of a new arena at between $172 million and $178 million and the cost of a combined arena and convention centre at between $330 million and $370 million.

Anderson and city manager Jeff Jorgenson told council’s governance and priorities committee that the public will get the chance to weigh in on a list of different sites.

City administration has started analyzing the sites and will continue to do so, according to a city report.

Once locations are determined, the city plans to ensure residents have a chance to offer their input.

“I think it will be important for us to manage expectations by folks about what information and what steps are coming,” Coun. Sarina Gersher said at Monday’s meeting.

The report outlines how the public will be informed about consultation events, including posters downtown and in the Broadway and Riversdale business districts.

Residents will also be able to offer their opinions in online surveys and at an open house.

Coun. Bev Dubois, whose ward is located in the southeast corner of Saskatoon, asked if open houses could be held throughout the city to allow more people easy access to them.

The community advisory panel, a self-selected group of about 1,500 volunteers, will also offer online advice on the sites.

ptank@postmedia.com

twitter.com/thinktankSK

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:20 PM

I know for social commentary reasons, this will be very unpopular, but I think the entertainment district (and arena/convention centre) should be south downtown. I think the city should try assembling the land between 19th and 20th and 3rd and 2nd Avenue.

This would mean relocating provincial court house (ugly building anyway) and also the Lighthouse (which would be controversial) and some other smaller businesses. I know this is an unpopular view, but I have always thought the Lighthouse should have been part of the Station 20 West concept and consolidate services where the greatest need is, to make it the most accessible.

IF...that were to happen, you would have that entire block and the empty lot surrounding Scotia Centre Galaxy Cinema. You could even take some of the adjacent Toys'r'us area if needed.

IMHO...that would be the best area. However, I have a feeling the city will look at this as an opportunity to develop North Downtown.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I know for social commentary reasons, this will be very unpopular, but I think the entertainment district (and arena/convention centre) should be south downtown. I think the city should try assembling the land between 19th and 20th and 3rd and 2nd Avenue.

This would mean relocating provincial court house (ugly building anyway) and also the Lighthouse (which would be controversial) and some other smaller businesses. I know this is an unpopular view, but I have always thought the Lighthouse should have been part of the Station 20 West concept and consolidate services where the greatest need is, to make it the most accessible.

IF...that were to happen, you would have that entire block and the empty lot surrounding Scotia Centre Galaxy Cinema. You could even take some of the adjacent Toys'r'us area if needed.

IMHO...that would be the best area. However, I have a feeling the city will look at this as an opportunity to develop North Downtown.
It would be way easier and just as effective if they appropriated the Scotiabank theater block and built it there, but then why not just the Toys'R'Us site. I get why you like the south location there due to recent River Landing construction and number of eating establishments on 2nd ave in that vicinity, and it would make the downtown feel more whole if it was homogeneously vibrant all the way down 3rd Ave... but IMO the best location by far would be between 22nd & 23rd Sts and Pacific and 1st Aves. It is destined to be our SHED.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
IMO the best location by far would be between 22nd & 23rd Sts and Pacific and 1st Aves. It is destined to be our SHED.
I agree with this location. With the north downtown master plan this would be a central location and coincide well with any future, BRT/LRT lines connecting to any other parts of the city. There are already lots of connected parking structures within a few block distance and more could be accommodated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan