HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 2:50 AM

Bank of Southwest Tower in Houston

Do you think that the Bank of Southwest Tower in Houston that was proposed in the early 1980's will ever be built considering that the proposed site is now a parking lot. I also know that an observation deck was proposed for the 79th floor.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Do you think that the Bank of Southwest Tower in Houston that was proposed in the early 1980's will ever be built considering that the proposed site is now a parking lot. I also know that an observation deck was proposed for the 79th floor.
No. There's probably not a business case for a single (new) building with what I'm guessing would be ~1.5 million sf. Look at what's been built within the last 10 or so years; if/when something is built on the site it will probably be ~700' and about a million sf.

I wish it would be built. There were a couple of other buildings proposed in the early 80's, I think KPF may have been the architect. I came across them about 18 or so years ago while in college (old issue of Texas Architect?), and they were in the 1000' range. Block 152 Tower, maybe? Wortham and Van Liew (or something) was the developer. Imagine downtown with a couple of these unbuilt towers...or with regulations that would have forced anything over 500' to be built in the CBD!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:37 PM
JACKinBeantown

It was a gorgeous design. It would have been amazing, and at the time it would have made Houston's skyline famous.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/91/62...9b978df1e5.jpg

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 4:08 PM

I know... one of the better designs.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 5:27 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

I believe there would be those that would complain that this tower looked far too similar to One (and/or Two...) Liberty Place in Philadelphia - in the U.S. at least. I think there are a couple of similar designs in Asia and possibly the Middle East.

That does not mean that this is not a striking tower, however.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 9:18 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
I believe there would be those that would complain that this tower looked far too similar to One (and/or Two...) Liberty Place in Philadelphia - in the U.S. at least. I think there are a couple of similar designs in Asia and possibly the Middle East.

That does not mean that this is not a striking tower, however.
They were designed by the same architect. After the Bank of the Southwest Tower project fell through, Helmut Jahn used his design for the Bank of the Southwest Tower when he designed Liberty Place several years later.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 3:27 PM

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
They were designed by the same architect. After the Bank of the Southwest Tower project fell through, Helmut Jahn used his design for the Bank of the Southwest Tower when he designed Liberty Place several years later.

Exactly. Bank of the Southwest Tower was first. Jahn then cut it in half (as it were) and stuck the two halves in Philly.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 8:24 PM

Rest in Peace Helmut Jahn

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral