HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 10:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I too have many questions. I'm concerned about "upgrading" the Windsor Street exchange where the focus is on making it easier for trucks to get to the 102. Additionally, how will this rail shuttle affect the planned commuter rail project, or indeed the future of commuter rail in Halifax?
I wonder if there are any plans to restore the dual track.

It would be a little odd if there weren't enough traffic to justify dual tracks through the cut and yet commuter rail couldn't be supported by doubling the track and perhaps adding some other sidings. Commuter rail is a low frequency service.

I hope commuter rail happens. It would be complementary to the BRT plan too.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I wonder if there are any plans to restore the dual track.

It would be a little odd if there weren't enough traffic to justify dual tracks through the cut and yet commuter rail couldn't be supported by doubling the track and perhaps adding some other sidings. Commuter rail is a low frequency service.

I hope commuter rail happens. It would be complementary to the BRT plan too.
I thought restoring the second track was part of the scope of the commuter rail proposal, actually. One could see how it would add benefit for this plan as well.

I don't like this idea as much as the creation of a depot outside of the city, but it is better than doing nothing.

I too am concerned about the effect to the traffic flow at the Fairview overpass, but perhaps the release of more details will relieve this concern. Time will tell, I suppose.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 11:39 AM

According to Mason there are no design plans, no actual drawings, nothing that would actually be used for things like, y'know, a budget. So right now, this is just smoke and mirrors, another example of the federal Libs announcing some pre-election plums in a desperate attempt to win another term in office. Then of course if that happens they still can suddenly announce some unexpected downturn in the financial position and defer or cancel the whole thing.

These changes are long, long overdue and I hope something close to what is announced actually goes ahead - though they can leave out the bike lanes if they want to save money. But I cannot help be struck by the cynical vote-buying ploy. I suspect it will not help Andy Fillmore's chances much, especially since just a few months back he was braying about the need to get rid of the container pier entirely. And you know that Mason and others will be taking credit for this too when the municipal elections come along next year. Hopefully voters will have been paying attention to the ongoing debacles that are HRM politics and throw the bums out.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 6:11 PM

Demolition of the old St. John's United Church on Windsor Street is well underway:

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 4:24 AM

any idea what's going in its place?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 11:02 AM

The way HRM Council pandered to an interest group to torpedo Spirit Place and lead us to this result was shameful. Voters should remember this next fall. I hope a 25-storey tower gets approved for here as payback.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
any idea what's going in its place?
Nothing's been said about the site since 2016, but that plan involved converting the structure into apartments.

Now that it's demolished, my guess would be either condos or townhouses.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 12:31 PM

That was a really well thought out project that aimed to keep seniors from the congregation in the community.

A lost opportunity.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The way HRM Council pandered to an interest group to torpedo Spirit Place and lead us to this result was shameful. Voters should remember this next fall.
To be fair it was a previous council that rejected Spirit Place in 2013.

I agree that it was shameful and will result in a lower-quality redevelopment absent the social benefits of the Spirit Place proposal (senior's housing in a great location & maintaining a dedicated space for the St John's congregation).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 5:36 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some of the North End infill projects:

Source

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
To be fair it was a previous council that rejected Spirit Place in 2013.

I agree that it was shameful and will result in a lower-quality redevelopment absent the social benefits of the Spirit Place proposal (senior's housing in a great location & maintaining a dedicated space for the St John's congregation).
Let it be noted that the following current HRM Council members voted down Spirit Place: Karsten, Nicoll, Mason, Adams, Whitman, Craig and Outhit.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:01 AM

an update to the design of the alderney-portland intersection redesign

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 10:24 AM

Making that area of downtown Dartmouth, already very difficult to navigate through, even more dysfunctional. More dead ends, cul-de-sacs, and closed-off streets. Unreal.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Making that area of downtown Dartmouth, already very difficult to navigate through, even more dysfunctional. More dead ends, cul-de-sacs, and closed-off streets. Unreal.
To be fair, I can see how extending Dundas St and closing off Mill Lane might make sense - Dundas feels like more of a connector and Mill Lane seems awkward and not entirely useful.

I'm not so sure about closing off Canal St before Portland though... that seems like it would reduce connectivity.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 2:18 PM

Overall, I like the idea, especially of reconfiguring the wasteland that is now the Canal St. area for future residential, etc. Up until now there has been a lot of wasted potential there.

Also opening up the location for the expansion of the daylighted canal is a good thing.

I'm assuming that Maitland St. will still connect to Portland, to provide an additional exit from the neighborhood (and the possibility for people using it to skirt around traffic?).

All in all I don't see any huge issues for traffic flow as rush hour traffic tends to flow from the right lane of Alderney to Portland anyhow.

At least they aren't installing roundabouts there...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 10:47 AM

There's been activity on the Chebucto Road Beech Street lot the past few days. Some rudimentary fencing has gone up, and now they are digging a hole.

Any idea if they are starting this development? They've been guilty in past of just using the lot for a debris or snow dump, and the fencing looks pretty insubstantial for a construction site. Also I thought they were taking down the two houses which show no sign of demo prep?

Any ideas on where this development stands?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2019, 5:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

W. M. Fares is planning to develop about half of a block between Bayers and Young, west of Windsor Street. Regional council will debate the development this week:

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...0618rc1555.pdf

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Overall, I like the idea, especially of reconfiguring the wasteland that is now the Canal St. area for future residential, etc. Up until now there has been a lot of wasted potential there.

Also opening up the location for the expansion of the daylighted canal is a good thing.

I'm assuming that Maitland St. will still connect to Portland, to provide an additional exit from the neighborhood (and the possibility for people using it to skirt around traffic?).

All in all I don't see any huge issues for traffic flow as rush hour traffic tends to flow from the right lane of Alderney to Portland anyhow.

At least they aren't installing roundabouts there...
This. Dundas and Maitland will connect which will actually allow people to get in and out of Dartmouth Cove. Canal Street and Mill Lane are both too close to the intersection and really don't work and Maitland, as it is now, is separated from the rest of the street network by private property. It all makes Dartmouth Cove hard to get in and out. Goal is to build next year so that we can have the extension of Dundas Street in place as a detour in time for Halifax Water to start work on Phase 2 of the Sawmill River project in 2021.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:05 PM

Thanks for the explanation, Sam.

Looks like a good strategy to build in a detour before major work starts around the interesection.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together - I think it will really be a big improvement. There is lots of potential to make this one of the nicest areas in the city, actually.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Thanks for the explanation, Sam.

There is lots of potential to make this one of the nicest areas in the city, actually.
Now, don't get carried away.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth